Don't Slap Me, But Tall Cake Servings?

Decorating By MacsMom Updated 27 Mar 2009 , 10:20pm by MacsMom

MacsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MacsMom Posted 27 Mar 2009 , 9:09pm
post #1 of 5

Okay, I know, lame serving size questions....

I accidentally baked my cake in 8" pans instead of 9" pans (I was doing two different cakes). It's supposed to serve 25.

HOWEVER, the cake is 7 1/2" tall.

Will I get 25 servings out of a 7" tall cake? I baked another cake to make it two tiers just in case, but it looks pretty big as is.

I can't find any charts that give servings per the height of the cake. I didn't separate the tall cake onto two cake cricles because it is rainbowlicious and I wanted all 6 colors to show in a slice.

4 replies
CakeMommy3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMommy3 Posted 27 Mar 2009 , 9:12pm
post #2 of 5

Well, you would get almost double the serving of a 4" high cake right? I think so. They would just be tall skinny pieces. That cake sounds cool, I like the rainbow idea!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 27 Mar 2009 , 10:10pm
post #3 of 5

Unless you separate the cakes into two 3" (+/-) cakes, you're going to get the same number of servings, because you have the same surface area. However, they are getting twice the amount of cake because the pieces are twice as tall. If you're charging for this cake, be sure to charge appropriately for the extra cake they are getting.

The standard cake slice is 1x2x4. If you cut them half the width because they are twice as tall, you'll have .5x2x7. LIterally, these will be paper thin, they will be too hard to handle as you cut them and get them to the plate, and they will overlap the 6" cake plate. People won't comment on how tall the pieces are ... but they WILL notice how super thin they are, and even tho' it's pretty much the same amount of cake, they'll complain about they could see right thru that skimpy little piece.

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 27 Mar 2009 , 10:14pm
post #4 of 5

I was thinking the same thing Indy...I just couldn't think of all the statistical data like you! Yep...no matter how tall they are, they're gonna be thinkgin, dang! What is this? A sliver o' cake?

MacsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MacsMom Posted 27 Mar 2009 , 10:20pm
post #5 of 5

Thanks indydebi, I can always count on you to say it like it is. I'll add that second tier. It is only 3" tall and 9" round, so it should be just about perfect - most of the guests are kids and I already told her that she'd likely end up cutting the slices in half for the kids and to fit on their plates!

From now on I'll make the rainbow cake differently so it's not so tall. icon_redface.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%