Can You Freeze Cake Batter?

Decorating By strawberrygirl Updated 29 Mar 2009 , 4:29am by Jenthecakelady

strawberrygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
strawberrygirl Posted 27 Mar 2009 , 7:55pm
post #1 of 10

I have to do a sample of two cake flavors for a client. I am only going to need a small amount of the batter and I hate to waste the rest. Normally my children and husband eat the extras but nobody is going to be home but me and my thighs surely do not need all that cake.

9 replies
tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 27 Mar 2009 , 8:04pm
post #2 of 10

I think indydebi did it once with success. Send her a pm and ask how she did it.

whisperingmadcow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
whisperingmadcow Posted 27 Mar 2009 , 8:11pm
post #3 of 10

I have never done it but I would think that it would be ok. You might want to mix it up once you defrost it because it will lose some air.

What about making cupcake with the extra and freezing them? I do that some times.

something_sweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
something_sweet Posted 27 Mar 2009 , 8:14pm
post #4 of 10

No, but you can bake the cake and then freeze it. If you freeze the batter, it will not rise properly (or at all) when you go to use it. Plus, if you have sour cream or dairy products in your mix, they will go bad in the freezer.

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 27 Mar 2009 , 8:25pm
post #5 of 10

indydebi's rose just fine, give her a shout to see how she did it.

strawberrygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
strawberrygirl Posted 27 Mar 2009 , 8:34pm
post #6 of 10

thanks so much for the info and quick responses.

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 27 Mar 2009 , 10:33pm
post #7 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by something_sweet

No, but you can bake the cake and then freeze it. If you freeze the batter, it will not rise properly (or at all) when you go to use it. Plus, if you have sour cream or dairy products in your mix, they will go bad in the freezer.

Sorry, but completely untrue.

I've made WASC (has sour cream, pudding mix, eggs, etc. in it), frozen it as a batter, and had it bake up perfectly normally.

I defrosted the batter in the fridge overnight, let it come to near room temp, very gently re-mixed it well with a rubber spatula, put it into a prepared pan,and baked at 325 degrees until a toothpick came out clean.
My bowling group ate it and raved about it.

Is it my preferred method? No, absolutely not.

If I know that I'll need a cake in the next 2 weeks, I'll bake up the batter and freeze the cake. In this instance, I didn't know when I'd need a cake, so I froze the batter, instead. As I recall, it had been frozen for at least a month before I baked it.

HTH
Rae

something_sweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
something_sweet Posted 27 Mar 2009 , 10:45pm
post #8 of 10

I guess I stand corrected. icon_smile.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 27 Mar 2009 , 11:25pm
post #9 of 10

Yep, I did an experiment once and it worked great. I had enough batter for a 6" square cake. I put the batter in the greased (not floured) pan, wrapped it in saran and threw it in the freezer.

I started to thaw it out, but after 20 minutes, I said heck with it, and just threw the pan with the still frozen batter in the oven. It baked up perfect. Had a nice big tall dome that I had to trim off.

This was box batter ..... if you're a scratch baker, you may want to try your own experiment. I've no idea if scratch performs different.

Jenthecakelady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenthecakelady Posted 29 Mar 2009 , 4:29am
post #10 of 10

I have frozen my white cake batter and it came out just fine. I double bagged it in freezer bags and when I was ready to use it I defrosted it slowly just by leaving it in the fridge (be sure to wrap it in a kitchen towel or place in a bowl or you'll have a mess) and then bake as normal. The only thing I can think of that is different is that the cakes don't seem to crust as well. (But that could be for some other reason as well.)
This is with a box batter that I add cream cheese to.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%