Wasc - How Do You Market This To Your Customers?

Business By lostincake Updated 30 Mar 2009 , 5:33am by madgeowens

lostincake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lostincake Posted 27 Mar 2009 , 6:48pm
post #1 of 16

Hi Everyone,

For those who are in business and use a WASC recipe, how do you market it to your customers? If you have a website (and I'm assuming most do if they are in business), what flavour do you list it under? I've never seen any websites that list a White Almond Sour Cream cake lol. And I don't know if that would sound appealing to "cake civilians" (a la indydebi).

I was asked what flavour that was when I made it for my sis' 40th and didn't know how to explain it. When I said white cake with almond flavouring and some sour cream, they looked at me all dazed and confused. Then I got to thinking if I DO have it on my list of flavour offerings when I start my business (which I'm in the process of doing a business plan for), then how would I word it?

Any input would be greatly appreciated. TIA for everyone's time and input.

15 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 27 Mar 2009 , 8:06pm
post #2 of 16

when they ask the falvor you could just keep it generic and tell them it's a common 'wedding cake' flavoring. They'll have no idea, but will be happy with the answer.

cupcakebliss Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakebliss Posted 27 Mar 2009 , 8:07pm
post #3 of 16

I had the same thought today. I was thinking maybe calling it White Almond Wedding cake. I am not sure. I also don't want people to be discouraged to try it because it is named wedding cake either. I don't know. I do not have a business, but am starting to research about one.

lostincake Posted 27 Mar 2009 , 8:54pm
post #4 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

when they ask the falvor you could just keep it generic and tell them it's a common 'wedding cake' flavoring. They'll have no idea, but will be happy with the answer.

That does sound a heck of a lot better than "white cake with almond flavouring and some sour cream" LOL - thx!

CakeForte Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeForte Posted 27 Mar 2009 , 8:55pm
post #5 of 16

I havent used it...but you could sell as your "Signature Wedding Cake" or "Classic wedding cake" then add a desciption to it

" Traditional white cream cake with a hint of almond"

As a client...if i heard "sour cream". I would be turned off. Same with the cakes that use mayonnaise.

MacsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MacsMom Posted 27 Mar 2009 , 9:11pm
post #6 of 16

This is what I have on my flavor list:

White Almond Sour Cream ~ Divine white almond sour cream cake layered with white chocolate truffle filling & raspberry puree. I cant keep my hands off of this one!

When asked about it, I explain that the sour cream makes it super moist and the almond is not overpowering but adds a great element of surprise to a basic white cake.

ThreeDGirlie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ThreeDGirlie Posted 27 Mar 2009 , 9:16pm
post #7 of 16

I call it "White Almond" cake.

It doesn't taste at all like sour cream to me, so I don't use it as a descriptor. Most of my cake recipes (doctored box and scratch) have sour cream or buttermilk in them.

lostincake Posted 27 Mar 2009 , 9:26pm
post #8 of 16

I agree CakeForte - I think that's why I got the dazed looks lol

MacsMom - YUMMM - I think I'm going to have to try that combo and I love the use of the word "divine"

Thanks ThreeDGirlie - I think that a simple name like that would work for me in the beginning until I do start to make wedding cakes.

I don't plan to do wedding cakes right away until I get the business off the ground and established then I can try using Signature Wedding Cake to describe it on the wedding cake page.

Thanks so much for everyone's input...this helps so much.

MacsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MacsMom Posted 27 Mar 2009 , 9:43pm
post #9 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeDGirlie

I call it "White Almond" cake.

It doesn't taste at all like sour cream to me, so I don't use it as a descriptor. Most of my cake recipes (doctored box and scratch) have sour cream or buttermilk in them.

I like that idea icon_rolleyes.gif I also use flavored yogurts in my recipes.

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 29 Mar 2009 , 1:18am
post #10 of 16

I normally just call it "almond".

We had a booth at our town's apple festival in October. I sold three flavors, one of which was WASC. I had it labeled "wedding" and sold more of it than the chocolate pound or lemon pound.

timhenk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
timhenk Posted 29 Mar 2009 , 3:09am
post #11 of 16

I like the idea of calling it Almond Cake or Wedding Cake. Or come up with some other marketing name of your own. I especially like keeping the word Almond in it in the event that someone is allergic or they know one of their guests is allergic...

Think about it, you don't call your chocolate cake "Cocoa powder, eggs, butter, sugar, and cake flour Cake", do you? No, you call it Devil's Food, or Death By Chocolate, or something like that. Sorry, don't mean to be a smart @$$, just trying to make a point.

miss-tiff Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miss-tiff Posted 29 Mar 2009 , 3:15am
post #12 of 16

I personally love WASC, but I will point out that if my husband just heard, "Wedding cake," he wouldn't think to suspect his #1 Least Favorite Flavor, almond. When I make WASC cake for him, I substitute vanilla and he loves it. His whole family is like that, where they all hate almond extract. So maybe the word "almond" would help?

lostincake Posted 29 Mar 2009 , 3:16am
post #13 of 16

Thanks timhenk for your input - much appreciated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by timhenk

Think about it, you don't call your chocolate cake "Cocoa powder, eggs, butter, sugar, and cake flour Cake", do you? No, you call it Devil's Food, or Death By Chocolate, or something like that. Sorry, don't mean to be a smart @$$, just trying to make a point.

Hence why I posted this to get some ideas. I was caught off guard when I was asked at my sis' party because I really didn't expect anyone to ask. I've made many cakes before of all different flavours and had never had anyone ask me what flavour the cake was and so I was a bit at a loss and just blurted out the first thing that came to mind which is what all CC'ers refer to it as.

Then when I went home and thought, "what WOULD I call it?". I couldn't think of anything appealing and thought at the time that just "almond cake" didn't sound right.

So again, thanks for everyone's input.

**edited for clarification**

OhMyGanache Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OhMyGanache Posted 30 Mar 2009 , 2:22am
post #14 of 16

I don't bake WASC, but I have tried it (didn't care for it). If I were to sell it though, I'd probably call it something like "Almond Creme Cake"

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 30 Mar 2009 , 4:38am
post #15 of 16

IN this OLD cookbook that I have, they have a scratch cake that is white & has almond & sourcream in it, & it's actually called just "Wedding Cake". In fact, it was a whole recipe on how to make the wedding cake, assemble, & decorate. It's actually how I learned to tier cakes when I was a kid & had never heard of Wilton's. (What for shame, I never heard of Wilton's all my life!)

madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 30 Mar 2009 , 5:33am
post #16 of 16

From a civie...hehehe...I woould have to say I have never had a good piece of Wedding Cake in my life and thats many many moons....so wedding cake flavor to me I would pass on.....WHy not just call it Divine Cake......simple

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%