Can We Discuss Cake Fillings?

Decorating By beagledog100 Updated 4 Jun 2009 , 11:16pm by holly4409

andiesweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
andiesweet Posted 23 May 2009 , 10:21pm
post #31 of 41

dulce de leche or nutella are great super easy fillings also. just open the jar and spread. chocolate ganache with a little orange extract or grand marinier liqour is awesome too I love ganache because you can use it as it is... or whip it with your mixer to get a different texture.

JEM530 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JEM530 Posted 23 May 2009 , 10:26pm
post #32 of 41

I love to experiment with flavoring whipped ganaches, chocolate and white chocolate. I have gotten little "nips" of liquers such as Bailey's or Kaluha and heating them with the cream so the alcohol content cooks out but you still get the flavor. I also use extracts to flavor the ganache. The choices are almost endless. Thanks for all the links, I am always up for trying new stuff.

djs328 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
djs328 Posted 24 May 2009 , 1:30am
post #33 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by maude

Great info here, I want to try different fillings as well. I'm still not sure how to know which ones require refrigeration or not.

I am NOT an expert, but here's what I am thinking, based on what I've learned here on CC and from my own experience: (you may want to check on specific fillings with the HD or other source first! icon_smile.gif
*Anything whipped cream based (real stuff, not bettercream or the like) MUST be fridged. (k8memphis posted something on here a week or so ago about WC having a 4 hr cumulative shelf life out of the fridge - ie: if it's 1/2 from store, then 1 hr decorating, then you have 2 1/2 hrs before things go south with the cream...(I think I got that right?!?!)
*I always fridge fresh fruit also.
*Buttercream, Bettercream, etc. fillings do not require fridge. (check out specs on Bettercream container to double check, but that's my understanding, have yet to try it myself but plan to soon!)

Again - I am not an expert, so double check individual fillings with someone who knows for sure, but I haven't made anyone sick...so far! *fingers crossed!* icon_smile.gif But maybe that helps you narrow it down a little?
HTH!

MrsMabe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsMabe Posted 24 May 2009 , 5:01pm
post #34 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by djs328

*Buttercream, Bettercream, etc. fillings do not require fridge. (check out specs on Bettercream container to double check, but that's my understanding, have yet to try it myself but plan to soon!)

You're right. We used Bettercreme at my old work. It should be refrigerated prior to use to keep it smooth and workable, but can be left out at room temperature once the cake is decorated/filled with it.

djs328 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
djs328 Posted 24 May 2009 , 5:22pm
post #35 of 41

Ok, so who's got a good ganache filling recipe? I tried one of the Whipped Ganache recipes on here and it was not good...I am thinking it was the wrong proportions of cream and choc...Anyone have a good recipe they can share? (or at least a ratio I can work with? icon_smile.gif I would love to do a fudgie-type filling...mmmm...

patton78 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patton78 Posted 24 May 2009 , 5:29pm
post #36 of 41

Ok, so who's got a good ganache filling recipe? I tried one of the Whipped Ganache recipes on here and it was not good...I am thinking it was the wrong proportions of cream and choc...Anyone have a good recipe they can share? (or at least a ratio I can work with? I would love to do a fudgie-type filling...mmmm...

Not sure what recipe you used, but I just made a whipped chocolate ganache for a filling and thought it was very good. The proportion was 2 to 1, cream to chocolate. I used bittersweet chocolate. You must refridgerate for atleast 4 hours before whipping.

Monkess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Monkess Posted 24 May 2009 , 5:39pm
post #37 of 41

Nutella or Bettercream with choc. pudding mix are my 2 top favs. Fresh fruit is also a very popular option.

Sweet_Guys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweet_Guys Posted 24 May 2009 , 7:31pm
post #38 of 41

Two other things that we've done which are also yummy:

1. Melt chocolate candy coating (any flavor) and mix into your buttercream. It tastes like a chocolate malt. YUM!!!
2. We made our own version of a mousse by mixing up heavy whipping cream and sugar until stiff. Then we poured in about 1/3 bag of pastry filling (we tried the raspberry). OMG...It was light yet fruity!!!!

Paul & Peter

fiddlesticks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fiddlesticks Posted 27 May 2009 , 11:41pm
post #39 of 41

Oh I always add metled choc to my buttercream! So delicious!
I also add the sleeve fillings to my buttercream and yes the raspberry is awesome!
It makes like a raspberry cream, everyone loves it!

Peridot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Peridot Posted 28 May 2009 , 12:42am
post #40 of 41

allie73

Would you please share your chocolate orange ganache? How would it taste on the Orange Dreamsicle Cake from this site?

holly4409 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
holly4409 Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 11:16pm
post #41 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsMabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by djs328

You're right. We used Bettercreme at my old work. It should be refrigerated prior to use to keep it smooth and workable, but can be left out at room temperature once the cake is decorated/filled with it.

Is Bettercreme the same as Pastry Pride. They carry Pastry Pride at a store near me, I don't know where to find Bettercreme near me.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%