How Do I Cover This Cake With Fondant?

Decorating By revel Updated 27 Mar 2009 , 5:34pm by 3GCakes

revel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
revel Posted 27 Mar 2009 , 5:11pm
post #1 of 7

I'm trying to make a cake look like mountains. Something like this cake here(this is not my cake) I want it to look like they're covered in snow..so all covered in white fondant.
Can i cover the whole cakes in fondant? or should i cover each layer seperately? If i can cover the whole thing(i mean each mountain) How do i mark each layer so the can be served?
HELP!
LL

6 replies
pattigunter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattigunter Posted 27 Mar 2009 , 5:19pm
post #2 of 7

I'm by no means an expert on fondant covering but i think I would tackle this one piece at a time. I dont see how you could do it all with one piece -

kimmyboo925 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimmyboo925 Posted 27 Mar 2009 , 5:19pm
post #3 of 7

Are you looking for smooth snow... if not I would do it in icing... just add wiltons white white and it will be bright white...

Ruth0209 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ruth0209 Posted 27 Mar 2009 , 5:23pm
post #4 of 7

I'd cover each mountain individually. I've seen cakes with white edible snow flaky, glittery stuff to make it look more like snow. A little grey in it makes it look more realistic, too. Snow has a lot of blue and grey through it.

You don't really need to mark each layer. When you cut it, you'll just cut until you hit the first piece of cardboard. I wouldn't dismantle it before cutting it.

If you don't want all cake, you can cover Rice Krispie treats with fondant. Then you can mold all the nooks and crannies the way you like it.

SaraClassic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SaraClassic Posted 27 Mar 2009 , 5:31pm
post #5 of 7

OR... make it like the cake shown and add fondant snow covering peaks, liek the snow topper look...?? Just another thought.

revel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
revel Posted 27 Mar 2009 , 5:31pm
post #6 of 7

Thanks Ruth..i wasn't sure on how to serve it if i totally covered each mountain.

Patti... i meant covering each mountain seperately i wouldn't even try to do the whole thing.

3GCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
3GCakes Posted 27 Mar 2009 , 5:34pm
post #7 of 7

Instead of marking the cake for serving purposes, I would include a diagram of the cake instead. The "markers" are bound to get overlooked.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%