How Many Views/comments/faves Does It Take To Make U Happy?

Decorating By Bellatheball Updated 29 Mar 2009 , 3:06am by paula19

Bellatheball Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bellatheball Posted 27 Mar 2009 , 3:50pm
post #1 of 46

This is a terrible question but I'm wondering what number of views/comments/favorites it takes for you to think your cake was successful on CC. Or am I weird for thinking of it that way? icon_confused.gificon_biggrin.gif

45 replies
brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 27 Mar 2009 , 4:11pm
post #2 of 46

theres been a few posts on this before.
i think the main thing is to be happy with the cake your self. but of course, who doesnt like a little validation from their peers? icon_smile.gif
but even some of the best cakes go un-noticed (often end up in the uncommented pics section at busy times, which you can see if you are a gallery supporter member), its the way it is in a community as busy as this one.
i think it depends how ur cakes are normally recieved here too - if you are used to getting a certain number of faves and comments, say 50, any less than usual, like 20, might put you into meltdown. where as a lot of people are happy just to get a nice comment, never mind a fave! (like me, lol)
where do you stand?
xx

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 27 Mar 2009 , 4:22pm
post #3 of 46

I dont' track it or have a number. I'm grateful to everyone who decides to take a closer look .... so I'm glad that others find it interesting, no matter if its 1 or 1000.

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 27 Mar 2009 , 4:26pm
post #4 of 46

Doesn't really matter...anyway I find as CC has gotten busier, some of my favorite cakes have received very little attention, and some of my lesser cakes are "favorites" because they've been on the website for several years now. I have a few cakes I'm REALLY proud of yet they have gotten very little recognition due to the time I uploaded it or whatever.

Hey what really matters is my local reputation and my business, and if my customers are pleased!

panchanewjersey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
panchanewjersey Posted 27 Mar 2009 , 4:30pm
post #5 of 46

As long as 1 person likes it, I'm happy!

Larrimore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Larrimore Posted 27 Mar 2009 , 4:30pm
post #6 of 46

One, but two puts a bigger smile on my face lol

itsloops Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
itsloops Posted 27 Mar 2009 , 4:34pm
post #7 of 46

1 view makes me happy but hey! I'm easy. icon_biggrin.gif Seriously, though if people comment that is great and if they fav my cake that is great too.

I don't always have time to come on here and look for and comment on other peoples cakes which is a shame because there is such great talent on here so sometimes, it's not that a cake isn't great, it's just that there always isn't time to comment on EVERY great cake. icon_sad.gif

Boofycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Boofycakes Posted 27 Mar 2009 , 4:34pm
post #8 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitagrl

Doesn't really matter...anyway I find as CC has gotten busier, some of my favorite cakes have received very little attention, and some of my lesser cakes are "favorites" because they've been on the website for several years now. I have a few cakes I'm REALLY proud of yet they have gotten very little recognition due to the time I uploaded it or whatever.

I agree 100%. I feel the same way, some of my basic cakes have received several comments and others that I spent hours slaving over have next to none. I think that the time you upload them can make a difference, if it is a high traffic time of day when everyone else is uploading, they may go unnoticed. It is always disappointing to go unnoticed, but I am always honored to receive a comment on a picture, even if it is just one comment. I think the most important thing is that you and your customers are happy with the cakes! The customers are who's thoughts really matter!

eilidh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eilidh Posted 27 Mar 2009 , 4:48pm
post #9 of 46

I kind of know if it is good or not so am delighted when people like it, was over the moon the other week when my cookies got 3 favs...my DH could not figure out at all why I cared! icon_smile.gif

candynumber1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
candynumber1 Posted 27 Mar 2009 , 4:57pm
post #10 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellatheball

This is a terrible question but I'm wondering what number of views/comments/favorites it takes for you to think your cake was successful on CC. Or am I weird for thinking of it that way? icon_confused.gificon_biggrin.gif

When others take the time to look at it. Cause that means something about the cake drew their attention to it, but I'm MORE impressed with what the person who recieved the cake has to say.

beenzee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beenzee Posted 27 Mar 2009 , 5:03pm
post #11 of 46

If I feel bad..I just go look at my facebook! They go crazy for em over there! Granted, they are not "cakers" like here and more easily impressed! icon_smile.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 27 Mar 2009 , 5:17pm
post #12 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by beenzee

Granted, they are not "cakers" like here and more easily impressed! icon_smile.gif

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif Cake civilians! Ya gotta luv 'em for somthing! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

beagledog100 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beagledog100 Posted 27 Mar 2009 , 5:18pm
post #13 of 46

I'm just a novice as you can tell by my photos, but I am tinkled pink when someone even views one of my photos let alone saves it as a favorite. Just the thought that someone might enjoy what I have done or saved my photo for inspiration would make me a happy camper. thumbs_up.gif

wtare Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wtare Posted 27 Mar 2009 , 5:22pm
post #14 of 46

I am happy with at least one positive comment. But there are just so many users on here that it is hard to get a huge response. Too much to look at. I depend on Flickr to keep my spirits up. They also have groups and it is really small compared to here. Of course Cake Central is the King when it comes to all things cake decorating, so I keep submitting.

beenzee: How do you post on Facebook? Is it just to your contacts? I have a Facebook and have it linked to my Flickr account. My Facebook then shows a link to Flickr whenever I post something new. Just wondered if you are doing something different.

Bellatheball Posted 27 Mar 2009 , 5:30pm
post #15 of 46

Beenzee, I do the same thing! LOL. All of my friends leave the nicest comments even if the work isn't perfect. icon_biggrin.gif

For Facebook, you can just upload your photos like you would otherwise. I have all of mine in a cake/cookie folder.

I don't really have a number in mind for myself but, like many of you have said, it's surprising that some "easy" cakes/cookies receive so much praise while the more difficult ones go unnoticed.

Babarooskie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Babarooskie Posted 27 Mar 2009 , 5:35pm
post #16 of 46

I'd hate to sound like a witch, but the old "comments on pictures" threads are becoming a head ache.

Nothing to do with you, OP. However, all the people that get "offended" when people don't comment on pictures...I'm over it.
Not everyone has the time to make comments on all your pictures. I don't expect all of CC to say how nice (or not nice!) my cake was. I can see how many people viewed the picture- and that's OK with me.

mcdonald Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcdonald Posted 27 Mar 2009 , 5:36pm
post #17 of 46

I'm happy with just one!!!!

GeminiRJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeminiRJ Posted 27 Mar 2009 , 5:37pm
post #18 of 46

Each and every view and save is appreciated! There have been a few I've posted that have really surprised me with the response...like the first few I was able to upload. Most recently, the photo of "A year in cookies" floored me with the amount of views and comments. I almost didn't post it for a couple of reasons, but I'm glad I did!

I don't think you've asked a weird question....it's just human curiosity. I like how brincess_b responded, and will ditto that!

luv_to_decorate Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luv_to_decorate Posted 27 Mar 2009 , 5:46pm
post #19 of 46

When you are not a professional and you are still in the learning mold, I think it is great to get a few comments. I know for me, taking classes with a local professional who owns her own cake supply company has taught me even more that I learned from the Wilton classes. Being on CC teaches me more and makes me venture out to try new cake decorating ideas. I feel like sometimes I sleep, eat, breath, dream cake decorating. I don't do this for a living but love it. Since being on CC I have had the courage to try several new things and to improve on the things I was doing. So it is a bit of a disappointment when you post and you get one comment. But I remember to go look at my views and that helps.

butterfly831915 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
butterfly831915 Posted 27 Mar 2009 , 5:55pm
post #20 of 46

I am always happy with seeing that someone was interested enough to take a closer look at my photo and that is great, I have to admit I beem a bit if it makes it to someones favorites list just because that means it was really liked and being a newbie as I want to call myself just makes it really really great. What can I say nothing like a pat on the back from people who know how hard it can be.

}i{

Bellatheball Posted 27 Mar 2009 , 5:59pm
post #21 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Babarooskie

I'd hate to sound like a witch, but the old "comments on pictures" threads are becoming a head ache.

Nothing to do with you, OP. However, all the people that get "offended" when people don't comment on pictures...I'm over it.
Not everyone has the time to make comments on all your pictures. I don't expect all of CC to say how nice (or not nice!) my cake was. I can see how many people viewed the picture- and that's OK with me.

I can see where you are coming from but that wasn't the intention of my post at all. There's no way to navigate through the entire site on a daily basis to see all the cakes. I realize that. My question was meant in a light hearted way.

lostincake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lostincake Posted 27 Mar 2009 , 6:00pm
post #22 of 46

I'm happy with whatever amount of comments I get and however the viewer words it but of course I also appreciate when someone takes the time to give details so I know what it is they like about my cake. And if I get ANY faves on ANY cake I am ecstatic.

I do try and follow the trend in views, faves & comments on my pics as well as those of other members. For example, I've noticed that certain cakes get more attention and views because it was presented in a brighter setting; or that single tiered cakes generally don't get as much attention as stacked cakes; or that cake heights of at least 4 inches are most popular; or certain colour combos are popular etc., etc.

This believe it or not has helped me realize what details have "mass appeal" and I believe has helped me come up with more appealing designs.

So success to me is any attention at all but the value I place on that success (very successful, over the top successful etc.) is based on the attention it gets relative to my other cakes.

keljo05 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
keljo05 Posted 27 Mar 2009 , 6:09pm
post #23 of 46

I had a great response to my cactus cake and that made me feel like a million bucks, lol. However I never got one response to another cake I posted that was hours of string work for me. While I was surprised, I also know the amazing positive response I got from the bride for that cake, as well as others in my life. I didn't let it bother me past the one thought as I know I look at a lot and don't have time to comment. The fact that it was viewed closer was enough for me, lol

punkyf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
punkyf Posted 27 Mar 2009 , 6:11pm
post #24 of 46

It's always nice to get comments on the cakes I upload to CC but I would not put them on here if I was not happy with them. I love this site and would be lost without it. Everyone is so helpful when you need it. Hopefully one of my cakes will help someone with an idea just as I have found ideas for my cakes here.

Punkyf

forthwife Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
forthwife Posted 27 Mar 2009 , 6:21pm
post #25 of 46

I'll say it. Most everyone is commenting on "If anyone looks, I'm happy." I am not. Not that I'm unhappy I just know the cake wasn't as popular (be it design, color choice, cake being too personalized for general appeal etc etc). When I hit 100 favorites on one of my cakes, I was THRILLED!! I am also a newbie, so I don't feel badly if one isn't a CC "success". I just love cake, and I love it when others love my cakes too.

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 27 Mar 2009 , 6:28pm
post #26 of 46

If I get more than one comment (since all the photos get at least ONE comment now), then I know I've done well!! I know personally that I'm constantly looking around at cakes but when I REALLY like something I HAVE to leave a comment...and I don't comment on EVERY cake I check out...so when I do comment, that pretty much means it was a pretty special cake....so when I get comments I feel the same way, that someone felt it was pretty special!
So I guess for me if I get 2 comments and 1 person favs it.......I'm good!

margaretb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
margaretb Posted 27 Mar 2009 , 6:28pm
post #27 of 46

It is hard to get too upset, because random chance plays a big factor in how many views you get. If you post your cake in a busy time, it might only get a second on the home page. If you don't use the right search terms, it might not come up. One of my favourite cakes is for a lawyer passing the bar. I am actually going to try to copy elements of the design for a graduation cake, but it doesn't come up if you search "graduation" -- I had to search "lawyer" to find it. If your cake is 15 pages in under a term, a lot of people are going to quit viewing cakes before then.

tanyascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tanyascakes Posted 27 Mar 2009 , 6:29pm
post #28 of 46

Usually it only takes the one from the person I made the cake for. I do like to hear things about how "everyone at the party raved about the cake", too. But the best one I got was from someone who hadn't even ordered or tried one of my cakes, just saw some I posted to a site. "What the h*** are you doing in Kansas! With the designs you have on here you should be in New York!!" Now that made my day because I am a selftaught decorator who feels like everything I make is horrible. I am no where close to most of these wonderful people on here. But hey, I got another email from her today asking me for a huge cake for her twins birthdays in August!!!

Sugarflowers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugarflowers Posted 27 Mar 2009 , 6:31pm
post #29 of 46

The number of views is great, especially if it's more than a few, then comments and favorites are just icing on the cake! Timing of the uploading the cake photo seems critical if I want my cake to be noticed. The ones I have uploaded after midnight usually don't get noticed at all. I wonder why that is? icon_confused.gificon_lol.gif

Michele

Momof4luvscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Momof4luvscakes Posted 27 Mar 2009 , 6:32pm
post #30 of 46

It does not really bother me, because most of the time they do not spend a lot of time on the home page, and I do not always use keywords which makes them harder to find. I post for people to maybe get a little inspiration, I usually do not like my cakes.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%