Carrot Cake Question

Decorating By ptanyer Updated 27 Mar 2009 , 9:55pm by ptanyer

ptanyer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ptanyer Posted 27 Mar 2009 , 1:26pm
post #1 of 5

I am researching carrot cake recipes for a rush order I just got to make two carrot cakes for a birthday party to be delivered tomorrow. Because this is a last minute order, I haven't had time to make and compare different carrot cake recipes, so please bear with me while I ask a few questions.

I found 2 - five star***** carrot cake recipes:

One uses butter & shortening:

http://cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-6073-15-Carrot-Cake-Straight-Up.html

One uses oil:

http://cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-4303-34-Keonicakes-carrot-cake.html

Questions:

Does the butter vs oil make a big difference in texture and moistness of the cake?

Is one light and fluffy and one heavy and dense?

Are they both equally moist? What about crumb factor?

What would happen if I made one batch of each batter and then mix them together and then bake? detective.gif

Thanks for your help!
Pam

4 replies
ptanyer Posted 27 Mar 2009 , 9:40pm
post #2 of 5

I don't know what caused this, but I just made the recipe with the butter and the cakes fell!!! I haven't had a cake fall since I was a young girl and am puzzled as to what caused it. Now I have to start over...(shaking head with sorrow). Why?

sari66 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sari66 Posted 27 Mar 2009 , 9:46pm
post #3 of 5

I've only made a carrot cake with oil and it's dense, moist, and fabulous!
Not sure why your cake just fell but it could have been over mixing or not cooked enough.

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 27 Mar 2009 , 9:53pm
post #4 of 5

i make carrot cakes all the time. never seen a recipe with butter. alway oil.. mine have never failed.. not bragging.. but always good , moist, dense,etc.. family and customers love them.. hth

ptanyer Posted 27 Mar 2009 , 9:55pm
post #5 of 5

I wondered about it being cooked long enough, but the toothpicks all came out clean with nothing stuck to them at all. So figured they were ready.

I am wondering if these cakes are cursed. I posted the 1st message this morning and didn't get a response at all. Then I had to go to the urgent care clinic after lunch today and have been told that I have strained/messed up the tendon near my thumb on my right hand. Can't flex it, rotate it, open door knobs, nothing. Gave me pain meds and told me to not use it at all this weekend - no grandkids, nothing. Woe is me...So, my DH and nephew said that they would do everything and I just could talk them through it. Don't know about you, but that is a very hard thing to do. I watched everything they did but just don't know what went wrong. There is no way I can use these cakes now and I need to start over because I need 2 - 10" cakes by 1:00 pm tomorrow...sigh

Edited to add: I wondered about this recipe, that's why I posted the 1st message. But thought since it was a 5 star recipe, that it must be good. Guess it's time to start over.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%