Grass Tip Instead Of Coconut?

Decorating By cherrycakes Updated 6 Apr 2009 , 10:32pm by Ponygirl1

cherrycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cherrycakes Posted 27 Mar 2009 , 12:18pm
post #1 of 10

I'm planning on making the Easter cake with the divided squares and foi-wrapped eggs on top. I'm not a fan of coconut and am going to make the grass with the grass tip. Has anyone done this and does it turn out as cute? My concern is that it may look messy (and take a lot longer!!) and I'd love to see a picture if anyone has done it this way. Thanks!

9 replies
cakes22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakes22 Posted 27 Mar 2009 , 12:24pm
post #2 of 10

I'm doing the same cake (sooo cute)!!!

I would think the grass tip would work fine. Are you going to change the colours or keep it all the same?

I'm colouring my coconut this weekend! Looking foward to making a mess!! icon_biggrin.gif

tripleD Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tripleD Posted 27 Mar 2009 , 12:35pm
post #3 of 10

I perfer the grass tip. it takes more time but I like the look. Coconut looks o.k. but not everyone likes it. When I us coconut it seems there is always left overs because they don't like coconut.

Sorry I don't have a picture. I an one of those people who remember to take a picture after the cake has left.. icon_redface.gif

rockysmommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rockysmommy Posted 27 Mar 2009 , 12:40pm
post #4 of 10

Not a great picture. I did these yesterday using grass tip. Have people who won't eat coconut.
http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1337048

Robin

cherrycakes Posted 28 Mar 2009 , 1:36am
post #5 of 10

Thanks for your replies! I will go with the grass tip and yes, cakes22, I will colour the icing different spring colours. We're under 3 feet of fresh white snow so any colour will be more than welcome! icon_smile.gif

Carolynlovescake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Carolynlovescake Posted 28 Mar 2009 , 1:50am
post #6 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by cherrycakes

Thanks for your replies! I will go with the grass tip and yes, cakes22, I will colour the icing different spring colours. We're under 3 feet of fresh white snow so any colour will be more than welcome! icon_smile.gif

I hate people coloring coconut and putting it on cake because I then I can't go near it and I can't risk a bite of it. I instantly react with hives and breathing issues if it comes any where near my mouth.

For that reason alone I can't work with it so everyone gets the grass tip from me.

I have a cake I did 7 years ago with grass that turned out pretty cute let me see if I can find it and if I do I'll post it.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 28 Mar 2009 , 2:39am
post #7 of 10

I like the look of the grass tip better. It looks like you took a bit more time (which you will!) rather than just throw some coconut on it.

I'm also anti-coconut. not allergic or anything, just hate it! I've said this so often that I'm sure you're all sick of hearing it, but if I order a cake and there is one flake of coconut on it, I will return the entire cake and demand a full refund. It is inedible!

paula19 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
paula19 Posted 28 Mar 2009 , 9:27am
post #8 of 10

I've used the grass tip too, several times. This is one of the cakes I've done it on. I was pleased with the results. In my opinion, the grass color looked pretty realistic, and it looked pretty good. I used medium consistency. Here's the pic...
http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1300323

cherrycakes Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 10:11pm
post #9 of 10

Thanks again for all of your help! I finally got it done! It's Macsmom's Lemonade recipe with all buttercream icing. I made this for a staff appreciation at the school where I am doing my student teaching.
LL

Ponygirl1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ponygirl1 Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 10:32pm
post #10 of 10

I like the grass tip too...Just gotta make sure the stiffness of icing is correct so the "tips" don't fall over, I always screw this up and have to "re-stiffen" it. But it is cool, and yes, it does take time to get it right..(note to me!!!!!)
Just practice some first, throw it back in the bowl, make adjustments and awaaaaay you go.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%