Toba Garrets Buttercream

Decorating By mjjandz Updated 28 Mar 2009 , 8:48pm by mjjandz

mjjandz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mjjandz Posted 27 Mar 2009 , 10:01am
post #1 of 6

Hi,

Just wondering if her icing needs to be refrigerated after you ice your cake?

Or would it be best if taken out of the refrigerator a little while before eating to bring to room temp.

Thanks so much
Allison

5 replies
mjjandz Posted 28 Mar 2009 , 11:35am
post #2 of 6

if someone does not mind answering.

Thanks so much

Allison

sugarcheryl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarcheryl Posted 28 Mar 2009 , 11:57am
post #3 of 6

You do not have the refrigerate the cake but it you do take it out 2hours before to get room temp. Only in the summer would I refrigerate I found that because of the butter ratio it gets really soft but when it's chill it stiffens up.

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 28 Mar 2009 , 12:02pm
post #4 of 6

Most American b/c's don't require refrigeration. icon_smile.gif
The meringue b/c's are usually refrigerated and the cake brought to room temperature for serving.

HTH

drakegore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
drakegore Posted 28 Mar 2009 , 12:04pm
post #5 of 6

i love toba's books!

toba has quite a few buttercream recipes so i am not sure which one you are working with.

if you are working with one of her meringue buttercreams, they need to be brought to room temperature before eating to get the full flavor.
i keep mine in the refridgerator until about 3 hours before eating.

i hate to admit it, but i kinda like to eat it cold too, lol. but the prevailing wisdom is that it is better at room temp.

i crumb coat, put in fridge, bring out and put final layer on, back in fridge, then bring out when cold for easier decorating.
you don't need to refrigerate after icing, but it does make it easier if you are going to be doing additional work to it.

if you are not using a perishable filling, you can safely leave the cake out for a day or two without concern (supposedly, but i never do). there's a thread in progress right now about leaving a cake on the counter.

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-623971.html

diane

mjjandz Posted 28 Mar 2009 , 8:48pm
post #6 of 6

thanks so much.

I am making icing on Sunday and bringing to work work for a co workers birthday. So I will keep it in refrigerator over night and take out and leave out when I get to work.

Allison

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%