How Can I Do This?

Decorating By TantalizingTreats Updated 26 Mar 2009 , 11:32pm by majka_ze

TantalizingTreats Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TantalizingTreats Posted 26 Mar 2009 , 9:14pm
post #1 of 6

I am making another snowboarding cake, and this time its a two teired cake. I am made them the in 9" and 6" rounds and have carved out a slope for the snowboarder to being skiing down... the question is... I would like to have trees on the sides of the cakes... how is the best way to do this?

I know how to make the cone shaped spruce tree covered with buttercream or royal icing... but I just want a one sided attaced to the side of the cake..

Is it better to do it in buttercream, or is there a way i can do this with fondant?

TIA for the help

5 replies
bashini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bashini Posted 26 Mar 2009 , 9:44pm
post #2 of 6

Hi there, I don't know how to make trees with RI or buttercream. What I thought was making that with fondant. Have you seen aine2's video on making a tree? You can do a half of it to go on the side of the cake. icon_smile.gif

paula19 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
paula19 Posted 26 Mar 2009 , 9:51pm
post #3 of 6

Personally, I would just cut the cone in half verically (what other way, right? lol), stick either half slightly into the cake, then pipe the tree on, using tip 21 or whatever tip you're planning to use. I hope this helps icon_biggrin.gif

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 26 Mar 2009 , 10:59pm
post #4 of 6

If I understand your ? right......I suggest making chocolate transfer.
Otherwise just pipe trees right on the cake.

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 26 Mar 2009 , 11:15pm
post #5 of 6

It depends on the feel you want to show. If you are going for a realistic and natural feel, use corn flakes mixed with mashmallow and butter, then paint it with anything edible. Kind of like a rice krispy treat. You can mold it however you want.

I usually use this when I make realisitic looking gingerbread houses.

But if you want a different feel to it, maybe 50/50 fondant gumpaste, shape it to a cone and get a pair of small sharp scissors then try to make the impression of a pine tree by cutting the sides. It's hard to explain.. I remember seeing this technique one time.

majka_ze Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
majka_ze Posted 26 Mar 2009 , 11:32pm
post #6 of 6

You can make it with fondant - you can look at my cake http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1325523
The trees are simple different sized stars cut out from marzipan, stuck on marzipan cone. The lower "branches" have a hole in the center.
You can make it even easier for relief - stick the cone on the side of your cake, cut little less than half of the star away and stick it on the cone like a skirt.

Was this what you wanted?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%