Satin Or Organza Ribbon On Buttercreams

Decorating By cutiepiemx Updated 27 Mar 2009 , 8:42pm by lillielu

cutiepiemx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutiepiemx Posted 26 Mar 2009 , 7:03pm
post #1 of 5

Hello everyone!

Ok, I am four months pregnant with my first child (girl) and I've spent more time thinking about what cake to make for the baby shower than what I am going to name her. It's a sickness. HELP!!

I have a question for all you experts out there.

I want to make a SMBC or Italian Meringue Buttercream covered cake, I am thinking of using an organza type ribbon or satin wrapped on the bottom of each tier.

How do you attach it to the cake? On the last one I made was wired ribbon and for the life of me I couldn't get it to stick. It looked loose and sloppy, and ended up using like 4 toothpicks in the back but I know there has to be a better way!! I am afraid that if I use Royal Icing, it will show through the clear ribbon or make it bumpy/greasy. Does that happen?

Also, do I make the BOW separately and attach it to the ribbon? If so, how?

Thank you so much for your help!

MS

4 replies
jensenscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jensenscakes Posted 27 Mar 2009 , 12:33am
post #2 of 5

I've always just used whatever icing I have to secure it in the back. If you want a cleaner look buy some of those pins with the pearls on the end and secure it with that. Just don't forget to remove it before eating icon_lol.gif but I think that makes it look a little fancier and you could also just pin the bow over the overlap and than you'll never see it.

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 27 Mar 2009 , 12:41am
post #3 of 5

Just make sure to line the back of your ribbon with something like clear contact paper, or the butter can bleed thru and discolor your ribbon. Many people say fondant ribbon is best to avoid putting something non food safe, but if you use ribbon, line it. It helps it keep it's shape too.

cutiepiemx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutiepiemx Posted 27 Mar 2009 , 8:06pm
post #4 of 5

Thank you Jamie & Jensenscakes for your helpful answers!

I am definitely going to try the pearl-pins on my next cake. Now why didn't I think about that earlier? Duh.

The contact paper seems like a good idea too, especially for satin bows.

I appreciate you guys taking the time to reply.

MS

lillielu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lillielu Posted 27 Mar 2009 , 8:42pm
post #5 of 5

I use polyester or nylon ribbon and cut a strip of waxed paper the same size and length of the ribbon and attach it with double stick tape, wax paper is food safe. I also spray my ribbons with vegetable oil and pat them dry, that way if any grease from icing were to get on the ribbon it wouldn't matter. You can't even tell that you've put the vegetable oil on it, except the color is a little darker.

lillielu

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%