Inspiration Needed

Baking By deetmar Updated 27 Mar 2009 , 11:27pm by deetmar

deetmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deetmar Posted 26 Mar 2009 , 6:46pm
post #1 of 18

I have a client that wants cookies for her 10-year-old son's birthday. I asked her what she wanted and she said "I don't know". I asked her what he liked to do, his favorite toys, favorite movie, etc. "I don't know!" Ok, my kids are all grown, I have no idea what ten year old boys like these days.

I would appreciate any help.

Thanks.

17 replies
kansaswolf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kansaswolf Posted 26 Mar 2009 , 6:54pm
post #2 of 18

Boy, talk about being specific... Poor kid, his mom doesn't have ANY ideas? Hm...

You could play it safe by going with geometric shapes in primary colors...

You could make "face" cookies, with all kinds of odd expressions...

You could put his name on some cookies, his age on some, "Happy Birthday" on some, etc.

Or go the "Alice in Wonderland" route and just put "EAT ME" on each cookie... icon_wink.gif

isabow2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
isabow2 Posted 26 Mar 2009 , 6:54pm
post #3 of 18

My 10 y/o is really into those Bakugan (sp?) toys. There are little balls that come w/cards. You roll the balls onto specially magnetic cards & the balls opens up reveling some robot or animal or whatever. I personally don't get the whole thing icon_confused.gif, but my son & the other boys in his 4th grade class LOVE them!!

cakes22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakes22 Posted 26 Mar 2009 , 7:05pm
post #4 of 18

My son is 11, here is what he is into:

Halo (master chief cookies would be cool)
Star Wars (darth vader & yoda & storm trooper cookies)
Hockey (pucks & hockey sticks)
Lego (different shapes)
his iPod (ipod & music note cookies
Bakugan (that's hard to do in cookies I think, cause they are little balls that open up with little characters in them that battle)

I just have to say that I think its sad that the mom couldn't give you any ideas.

hth

Cakeatier Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakeatier Posted 26 Mar 2009 , 7:07pm
post #5 of 18

There is always legos, my son likes baseball, basketball, he had a science party for his 10th birthday except I made a cake not cookies (maybe lightning bolts, beakers or test tube shapes) . I also made racing cars for cub scouts. Bakugan is also a good idea. I hope this helps.

kansaswolf Posted 26 Mar 2009 , 7:12pm
post #6 of 18

Just a note of caution on using something like Bakugan... If he's NOT into that, it could be a major letdown (not that it's YOUR problem per se, since the mom didn't give you any ideas, just saying...). My little bros are just past 10, and they were always way more into Pokemon and Yu Gi Oh. Never Bakugan.

Even a sports theme might not go over, if he's not into sports! *sigh* I *love* having NO IDEAS...

My 13yo brother said to do smily faces... icon_biggrin.gif

Twopeasinapod Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Twopeasinapod Posted 26 Mar 2009 , 7:23pm
post #7 of 18

I have a 10 year old son also and he is into:
Bakuguns (seems pretty popular)
Legos
animals of all kinds
tennis
science
video games

I was thinking since you really don't know the boy you might play it safe and do a spring theme that is geared to a boy. Like maybe a bike, turn a gun into a water gun, sun, sports balls, sneaker, scooter, and fill in with some fun looking smilies.

Or even a popcorn theme, do a large bag of popcorn then turn a daisy shape into popcorn. Add a tag shape that says "Have a popping good day!" You can also add to any theme the number 10 decorated to match the colors you choose.

Oh, another idea would be to do stars, planets, moon, sun and write "Have an out of this world birthday!

Don't know if any of those will help but maybe they will get you or some one else thinking!

Good luck and let us know what you decide on!!!

ShayShay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShayShay Posted 26 Mar 2009 , 7:30pm
post #8 of 18

I would play it safe and do the smiley cookies with wacky expressions.

Twopeasinapod Posted 26 Mar 2009 , 7:34pm
post #9 of 18

You can also play it safe and do one similiar to the one in the link below:
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1307690.html

I have a present cutter also that would go with balloon cookies and the number 10!

deetmar Posted 26 Mar 2009 , 7:39pm
post #10 of 18

Thanks for the ideas. I was kind of thinking of either the cupcake cookies or frogs. I got a really neat frog cookie cutter when I was in New York last year.

I couldn't believe that she didn't know anything about her son. That is really siad. Even with all my boys grown and gone, I still could make stuff for their birthdays without asking anybody.

Also, what the heck is she going to get him since she doesn't know anything about him?

Could you make the cupcake cookies into popcorn cookies? I have never tried that.

You guys are the best.

I posted over on the "How do I" thread and got nothing. I was looking for a Mickey Mouse Cake pan that I could either but or rent from someone. There is only one on ebay and they want over $50 for it. If they are that popular, maybe Wilton should bring them back.

Twopeasinapod Posted 26 Mar 2009 , 7:46pm
post #11 of 18

I think it would be easy to turn the cupcake into a popcorn design. Just do the bottom red and white stripe and then make the top look like popcorn. Here is a link to one that looks really cool.
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_475403.html

mariahrose17 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mariahrose17 Posted 26 Mar 2009 , 8:03pm
post #12 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by deetmar

I have a client that wants cookies for her 10-year-old son's birthday. I asked her what she wanted and she said "I don't know". I asked her what he liked to do, his favorite toys, favorite movie, etc. "I don't know!" Ok, my kids are all grown, I have no idea what ten year old boys like these days.

I would appreciate any help.

Thanks.

How bizarre that she has NO ideas...favorite colors, tv shows, games...??

My nephew is nine and a complete xbox 360 addict...xbox and pokemon are his world. Sorry I couldn't be of any help, but really, this kid could be into ANYTHING, still can't get over the mom's cluelessness....?

deetmar Posted 26 Mar 2009 , 9:32pm
post #13 of 18

Love the Popcorn! I also have ediable image paper and wafer paper so I can pring the popcorn label out that is in the templates.

Thanks so much for all of the ideas. You guys are the best!

HeidiCrumbs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HeidiCrumbs Posted 26 Mar 2009 , 9:59pm
post #14 of 18

What about the number 10? Either a template or on a square cookie. I agree that it's sad that the mom doesn't know what kind of cookies you should make for her son. I would probably do balloons, cupcakes and 10. Can't go wrong with that.

holly4409 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
holly4409 Posted 26 Mar 2009 , 10:13pm
post #15 of 18

just to add, i have a 10 and half yo and he likes

Ben 10 (cartoon)

Dirty Jobs on Discovery

Guitar Hero this would be a fun cookie, guitar cookie cutter, fondant accents...hmmm i am getting ideas for his upcoming bday party.gif

Anything Lego's

and i agree with some pp's---how could this lady not know what stuff he likes! she cares enough to get him birthday cookies but not enough to have a theme/idea of what she wants???

isabow2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
isabow2 Posted 27 Mar 2009 , 12:05pm
post #16 of 18

I also think it's sad that the Mother can't come up with any ideas. Maybe instead of getting her son cookies for his bday, she should spend some time w/him & get to know who he is. icon_wink.gif

kansaswolf Posted 27 Mar 2009 , 6:22pm
post #17 of 18

Perhaps she couldn't narrow it down to one favorite idea... It was too overwhelming? I don't know, just trying to come up with another reason why she wouldn't/couldn't pick something...

I just keep picturing cookies with different faces, and making one a puking face... I don't know many 10 year old boys that wouldn't find that HILARIOUS... Heh... icon_biggrin.gif

deetmar Posted 27 Mar 2009 , 11:27pm
post #18 of 18

I called the mother today and asked her if she had come up with anything. Total silence. Then I threw some ideas out, cupcake cookie, popcorn cookies, spiderman, frogs, "10", baseballs, basketballs, anything?

Total Silence. So I asked her if she had asked him, afteral lthese are what he is taking for school, she said, do whatever you feel like.

I couldn't believe it. My kids are in their 20's and don't live with me anymore, and I would have no problem making something for them. I just don't get it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%