Do Any Decorators Keep Their Nails Long?

Decorating By justfrosting Updated 26 Mar 2009 , 3:28pm by Nestley

justfrosting Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justfrosting Posted 26 Mar 2009 , 1:13pm
post #1 of 15

Just curious...

14 replies
cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 26 Mar 2009 , 1:18pm
post #2 of 15

There was a thread about this a couple of months ago.

I think most a people said they keep them short. That they thought it was unsanitary to have long finger nails. Because junk can get under the nails and then goes into the cake, fondant, etc. Plus if you have long nails, it can ding and damage fondant.

But there were a few who kept long nails.

Personally, I do keep a little nail on my fingers. I can't stand having them right at the quick. But they aren't super long either. I make sure to put lots of soap under each and ever single finger nail and then I rinse under them very well. I've just learned to be very careful with fondant so that I don't ever leave impressions or anything.

So it can be done. Hopefully, this won't turn into a hot debate...as I THINK it did last time. (I could be wrong).

cakes22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakes22 Posted 26 Mar 2009 , 1:35pm
post #3 of 15

I have always had long nails (not super long, but over the tip of my finger) but since I started caking, I keep them short. The cake class I took, the instructor told us horror stories about hand-washing & long nails. EWWWWWWW!!!
I also wear food-safe gloves, cause I'm a bit messy with icing colours & usually end up with red or blue fingers.

Lady_Phoenix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lady_Phoenix Posted 26 Mar 2009 , 1:48pm
post #4 of 15

I had very long nails for years. As a nurse I am also almost paranoid about keeping them clean. I keep a nail brush at every sink along with liquid hand soap. I wash my hands and scrub under my nails a LOT! When I started working with fondant, I kept poking holes in it with my nails, so I cut them. They are well past the tips of my fingers, and I use extra care NOT to make holes now. I found gloves that fit me well and wear them anytime I am working on cakes.

Shelly4481 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shelly4481 Posted 26 Mar 2009 , 2:13pm
post #5 of 15

I have always had fairly long nails. I would be lost without them. But I don't do much with fondant. Mostly bc. Hasn't really caused me problems. I usually keep a sink full of hot soapy water when I am doing cakes and so my hands are always in it.

kwineinger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kwineinger Posted 26 Mar 2009 , 2:16pm
post #6 of 15

I have always had med. length natural nails. I am very careful about handwashing and keeping the clean. I guess you could call me a germ freak! But I have never had a issue with nail and cakes.

mclaren Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mclaren Posted 26 Mar 2009 , 2:21pm
post #7 of 15

mine are always short.

yelle66 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yelle66 Posted 26 Mar 2009 , 2:27pm
post #8 of 15

Mine are always super short b/c I like them that way, but it always kind of tend to think it would be way to hard to get them really clean long so I wouldn't want them long anyway. I always take off my wedding ring whenever I do anything b/c that is another thing I think couldn't possibly get totally clean.

malishka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
malishka Posted 26 Mar 2009 , 2:31pm
post #9 of 15

My nails are pretty long. I always scrub them with a toothbrush and soap. I had a couple of problems leaving kinks in my fondant because of them, but I have learned to work around that.

Beauty requires sacrifice.

Have you guys seen Edna's nails, from Design me a cake"? They are long and gorgeous and it doesn't seem like she has a problem with it either.

susanscakecreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
susanscakecreations Posted 26 Mar 2009 , 2:33pm
post #10 of 15

Mine are on the short side.....but I do have a little nail...............
But have you seen Edna's?? (tonedna)..........she has the most
beautiful long nails I've ever seen.........of course, she is beautiful
from head to toe, but her nails rock!

allie73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
allie73 Posted 26 Mar 2009 , 2:34pm
post #11 of 15

I quit biting my nails in high school and prided myself on how pretty and healthy they always looked. However, the good Lord has intervened on my behalf and now, if I wear polish, it makes my nails split sooooo....I keep them short. Nails and decorating just don't work for me. icon_smile.gif

handymama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
handymama Posted 26 Mar 2009 , 2:38pm
post #12 of 15

Very short, but even then have to scrub carefully before kneading fondant. That stuff'll suck out every speck of dirt lodged under your nails!

aggiechef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aggiechef Posted 26 Mar 2009 , 2:40pm
post #13 of 15

I keep acrylic nails because I work in an office during the day and they just look nice. However, when I'm making cakes, I wear gloves at all times. I get totally grossed out if something gets under my nails so I just save myself the trouble and always wear gloves. Plus, I tend to be messy and can't stand having my hands dirty.
(I know, I know....it's just not normal) icon_smile.gif

PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 26 Mar 2009 , 2:43pm
post #14 of 15

I had always had long nails, but they were cut off the day I entered culinary school (required) and have stayed that way since. In a commercial kitchen it would be a BIG no-no.

Nestley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nestley Posted 26 Mar 2009 , 3:28pm
post #15 of 15

I wear my nail just past my finger tips and would sometimes nick my fondant. I have always kept a nail brush and hand soap at my kitchen sink for easy and frequent hand washing, but now I wear gloves to keep my nail work out of my fondant!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%