Two Questions Regarding Fondant...

Decorating By katerinazoi Updated 26 Mar 2009 , 1:18pm by katerinazoi

katerinazoi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katerinazoi Posted 26 Mar 2009 , 10:36am
post #1 of 6

Hello, can you please answer me two questions concerning fondant?
I use the MMF fondant but I read many nice comments about Michele Foster's fondant too. Is there anyone who has tasted both and can tell me which one tastes better?
Secondly, can you tell me how many days I can store my MMF fondant in an airtight container and how many in the fridge? These rules apply also to the fondant I have turned into gumpaste by adding gum traganth?
Thanking you in advance for your time,
Katerina

5 replies
CakeInfatuation Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeInfatuation Posted 26 Mar 2009 , 11:45am
post #2 of 6

Hi Katerina,

I've made both Michele Foster's and MMF. I have found that I like Rhonda's Ultimate MMF best. I don't need to kill my KitchenAid with it, it is faster to make, and I like the texture and flavor better. That's not to say Michele Fosters isn't 100% better than Wilton. It's REALLY good. But, the MMF seems to melt into my icing a little after I put it on the cake, allowing it to absorb the flavor of the icing, and almost become an extension of it. I always peel off my fondant BUT when I use the MMF, I don't feel the need because it's kind of melted into my icing and it tastes good.

This is just my experience.

As far as how long it will keep... slather some shortening on plastic wrap and wrap your fondant in that, then place in a zip top bag, then place in an air tight container. I've had mine keep from one cake to the next... (which could be 3 weeks or more). If it seems to get a little stiff, you can put it in the microwave for a couple seconds to soften it up so you can work it and get it back into shape.

I've never stored mine in the fridge.

katerinazoi Posted 26 Mar 2009 , 12:42pm
post #3 of 6

Dear Shill,

Thank you VERY much for your answer, it was everything I hoped for and more!!
Take care,
Katerina

CakeInfatuation Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeInfatuation Posted 26 Mar 2009 , 1:02pm
post #4 of 6

You are very welcome. icon_smile.gif

-Stacey

ThreeDGirlie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ThreeDGirlie Posted 26 Mar 2009 , 1:08pm
post #5 of 6

In my experience, MMF doesn't "melt into" the icing at all... Hmm. I like Michele Foster's (or the white chocolate variation) much better. IMO, it is more tender - not chewy - as I find MMF to be.

I guess everyone likes something different.

katerinazoi Posted 26 Mar 2009 , 1:18pm
post #6 of 6

Doesn't matter, I guess your reply proves that I must definitely give Michele Foster's fondant a try!!
Thank you very much for your answer!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%