What Is The Etiquette?

Decorating By Alaskahsm Updated 26 Mar 2009 , 4:59pm by kakeladi

Alaskahsm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Alaskahsm Posted 26 Mar 2009 , 7:00am
post #1 of 8

What is the etiquette for copying the design of a cake in the gallery? Is it rude to make a cake like one you see?

7 replies
Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 26 Mar 2009 , 7:14am
post #2 of 8

No, it's not considered rude to replicate a cake you've seen in the gallery, but you should be sure to give credit to the artist. icon_smile.gif

EnjoyTheCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
EnjoyTheCake Posted 26 Mar 2009 , 7:15am
post #3 of 8

It has been said that there are very few truly original designs. If you copy someone elses design give them credit for the design. If you took inspiration from a single design (as opposed to taking inspiration from a dozen or whatever) try to give inspiration credit to the orginal. This is really true if you are posting the image in the CC galleries.

Personally, I find it very flattering if someone wants to borrow my design for their own celebration.

Never ever take a photo of someone else's cake and claim it to be yours, but please take the inspiration or the total design and try it. Just try to remember who did it orginally.

I hope that helps and happy decorating.

PatricesPieces Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PatricesPieces Posted 26 Mar 2009 , 7:17am
post #4 of 8

Welcome to CC.

Everyone on Cake Central is here to inspire, teach, and learn. If you find a design you like, contact the person that posted the picture and ask them if it is ok for you to copy the design. Also, give credit to the designer.

EnjoyTheCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
EnjoyTheCake Posted 26 Mar 2009 , 7:27am
post #5 of 8

I don't believe it is necessay to contact the original designer. We gather inspiration from many venues. As long as we give credit to the inspiration, I believe the extra step of asking permission is pointless.

mclaren Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mclaren Posted 26 Mar 2009 , 7:45am
post #6 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnjoyTheCake

It has been said that there are very few truly original designs. If you copy someone elses design give them credit for the design. If you took inspiration from a single design (as opposed to taking inspiration from a dozen or whatever) try to give inspiration credit to the orginal. This is really true if you are posting the image in the CC galleries.

i tend to agree. i made a cake last year, which design i thought was quite original.
just two weeks ago i was browsing a website of a famous cake decorator here, and what did i know.. i saw her cake with similar design as mine (not 100% same)! and i don't have a website to post my cakes, so it's not like she copied my idea.
and god knows, i didn't copy hers either, as i've never been on her website until two weeks ago.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 26 Mar 2009 , 1:16pm
post #7 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnjoyTheCake

I don't believe it is necessay to contact the original designer. We gather inspiration from many venues. As long as we give credit to the inspiration, I believe the extra step of asking permission is pointless.

totally agree. dont' call me ... just do it! thumbs_up.gif

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 26 Mar 2009 , 4:59pm
post #8 of 8

I post my pix to inspire others. I would be totally flattered to see a version of something I did. It also would be very nice to give credit to whoever inspired you.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%