??? About Transporting A 3 Tier Wedding Cake

Decorating By mommabeaver25 Updated 28 Mar 2009 , 11:05pm by leah_s

mommabeaver25 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommabeaver25 Posted 26 Mar 2009 , 5:24am
post #1 of 10

The wedding isn't for a few months but I'm trying to get all my info now so I'm prepared. I'm doing a 3 tier square wedding cake. I have to transport it an hour away. Do I stack it and decorate it then move it to the location or do I decorate each tier and transport them seperatly and stack them on location? Which is the easiest way? I don't want it to fall. Any tips or pointers? TIA

9 replies
peg818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Posted 26 Mar 2009 , 8:57am
post #2 of 10

well, i'm a stack then transfer, but many will disagree with me.

Personally i find it much easier to stack first because if i have any problems its usually at home. I do transport with a cold cake.

What it comes down to is what you are comfortable with and what you can carry.

newnancy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newnancy Posted 26 Mar 2009 , 12:00pm
post #3 of 10

You should look into the SPS system. I haven't used it myself but plan on ordering it this week. Indydebi & others swear by it. You can find a post with the instructions by Indydebi on how to do it at the top of the forum in the "How to do it" section. I'm making a 5 tier square cake but think the weight will be to heavy & plan on using the SPS & transporting it in 2 sections. HTH

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 26 Mar 2009 , 3:41pm
post #4 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by newnancy

You should look into the SPS system. I haven't used it myself but plan on ordering it this week. Indydebi & others swear by it. You can find a post with the instructions by Indydebi on how to do it at the top of the forum in the "How to do it" section. I'm making a 5 tier square cake but think the weight will be to heavy & plan on using the SPS & transporting it in 2 sections. HTH

I believe leahs is the one that uses it and posted instructions. She transports all of her cakes that way.

Shannon1129 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shannon1129 Posted 26 Mar 2009 , 4:51pm
post #5 of 10

Just last weekend I stacked a 4 tiered cake and transported it. We went about 30 minutes away. It was a BC cake. I stacked with McDonald type of straws. It didnt budge. I always stack then transport. But- I did have someone with me to carry it in to the venue.

newnancy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newnancy Posted 27 Mar 2009 , 3:17am
post #6 of 10

My mistake & a BIG one......I know it is leahs, duh.....had a brain fade...thanks.

CakeMommy3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMommy3 Posted 27 Mar 2009 , 3:29am
post #7 of 10

I have always transported my tiers separately, and assembled on site. And it's kind of a pain, but then I'm not stressed out about it falling over. I really need to work up the courage to just try and do it and see what happens. With all the great advice with everyone on this site, it would probably be fine. icon_smile.gif

muddpuppy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
muddpuppy Posted 27 Mar 2009 , 3:45pm
post #8 of 10

I'm an assemble on-site kinda girl too, but I'm wanting to stand transporting stacked but I just have one concern...boxes. How do you or can you even box a stacked cake? I'd hate to think the fluff in the air or someones random eyelash blowing in the wind would land on my cake... you know?? Any ideas??

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 28 Mar 2009 , 10:01pm
post #9 of 10

My cake supply store sell boxes for stacked cakes and I've also seen them online but I don't remember where.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 28 Mar 2009 , 11:05pm
post #10 of 10

I don't use boxes to transport. Just set it on non-skid in the back of the SUV and off we go. It's fine. The cake is going to be sitting out at the venue for hours exposed to all sorts of things. Don't stress.

And on a related note, one of my brides sent a snippet of her wedding video. Picture this. The opening title fades to a picture of the cake with a close up OF A FLY ON THE CAKE. The fly rubs its hands together (or whatever they are) and starts to walk around the cake. It's on the video for what seems like 3 hours . . . The bride, groom and all her friends think it's hilarious.

And no one was actually grossed out. Stuff happens.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%