Whoopie Pies The New Cupcake

Business By maryjsgirl Updated 3 Dec 2010 , 5:32pm by cupcakeatheart

Linliv46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Linliv46 Posted 2 Jun 2009 , 6:59pm
post #301 of 425

Diane, you have soo much confidence in me!! And I guess you are right --I just have to set my mind too it and sit down with my fondant & try! Did you do all fondant or 50/50?
Sorry to be "off subject again everybody but I have PM'ed 2 and haven't gotten an answer!
Anyway, I am still going to do Oatmeal Whoopies later today! thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif
Much easier than making a duck! LOL icon_wink.gif

fiddlesticks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fiddlesticks Posted 2 Jun 2009 , 9:49pm
post #302 of 425

Linda , I prefer to mold with gumpaste, but you can use 50/50 . That duck is a bulky figure so it would be fine but just take longer to dry.
The kitty in my avatar is 50/50.
Just email me along the way if I can help at all. did you find the duck on my cake I was talking about. Probably not a very good picture though !

Linliv46 Posted 2 Jun 2009 , 10:20pm
post #303 of 425

Here are my Oatmeal Whoopie Pies: They are yummy too! Here is the recipe I used but I used the filling recipe from the Oprah.com with the marshmallow creme>
http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Oatmeal-Whoopie-Pies/Detail.aspx
LL

fiddlesticks Posted 2 Jun 2009 , 10:58pm
post #304 of 425

They look yummy Linda!

mellee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mellee Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 10:31am
post #305 of 425

Oh.........those look SOOOOOOOO good! icon_smile.gif

Teekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Teekakes Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 6:35pm
post #306 of 425

HEY! I've been cheated! No topic reply notices for this thread have been sent to my inbox!!
Linda, those Oatmeal Whoopies are beautiful! I got my Oatmeal cookie shells made for them this morning and am getting ready to make the filling in a few minutes. Been trying to decide which filling would be best for the Oatmeal..............hmmmmmmm.

Diane, thanks for answering the flour adjustment question! I didn't know you had answered it here and apologize for the double up of asking the same questions twice! I made them following the Oatmeal Cookie recipe as you did so they should be just fine. icon_smile.gif
Through tons of reading this morning I have discovered the Oatmeal Whoopies are not supposed to be cakey like the others anyway. Fine by me! icon_smile.gif

Will post Oatmeal Whoopie pics later today/tonight.

Linliv46 Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 6:39pm
post #307 of 425

Thanks Lea! My Oatmeal Whoopies were a little more "delicate" to handle! I really like the cake y type better, but they are all good! I wrapped & froze a bunch this morning. Everybody loves the strawberry!

SugarLover2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarLover2 Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 6:53pm
post #308 of 425

Mmmm, I searched for the marshmallow recipe and can't find it. Would you mind sharing?

Linliv46 Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 7:05pm
post #309 of 425
Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarLover2

Mmmm, I searched for the marshmallow recipe and can't find it. Would you mind sharing?

Here is the one I used:
http://www.oprah.com/recipe/food/recipessides/food_20070416_whoopie

Teekakes Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 9:29pm
post #310 of 425

OK, got the Oatmeal Whoopies made today and here are the pics for ya. I worked up my own cooked flour filling recipe because I did not like the one I had, at all. The filling I did end up with is my favorite of all the fillings so far, it is simply delicious and you can make it as sweet or not sweet to suite yourself.
I am happy to share the recipe with you if you would like to have it.
LL
LL

fiddlesticks Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 9:36pm
post #311 of 425

Yummy Delicious!!!!!!!!!
I want the recipe of course!!! hehe!

Criola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Criola Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 9:36pm
post #312 of 425

Teecakes: I would love the recipe, please share

-Liz

nannie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nannie Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 9:39pm
post #313 of 425

yes, yes recipe too please icon_wink.gif

Teekakes Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 9:59pm
post #314 of 425

WHOOPIE PIE CREAM FILLING x TeeKakes

5 Tbsp. flour
1c. milk
Cook until thickened and stir it constantly. Set aside, let cool.

In a large mixing bowl combine and mix together until creamy;

1 cup crisco solid shortening
1 stick of butter (1/2 cup)
1 cup powdered sugar
1/4 tsp. salt
3 tsp. vanilla extract
1 tsp butter flavoring

add cooled flour/milk mixture one spoonful at a time, mixing well after each addition.

Then add 3 more cups of Powdered Sugar, one cup at a time. Mix until smooth and creamy. Fill Whoopie shells.

**you can add the ps 1 cup at a time to customize the sweetness to your liking. That's what I did and 4 cups powdered sugar total was perfect to my sweet tooth. icon_smile.gif

God gave us a sweet tooth!!
Eat more Cake!!

Lea

majormichel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
majormichel Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 10:12pm
post #315 of 425

Teekales want to share the oatmeal whoopie recipe. They look so nice and round.

kellertur Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kellertur Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 12:26am
post #316 of 425
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teekakes

WHOOPIE PIE CREAM FILLING x TeeKakes

5 Tbsp. flour
1c. milk
Cook until thickened and stir it constantly. Set aside, let cool.

In a large mixing bowl combine and mix together until creamy;

1 cup crisco solid shortening
1 stick of butter (1/2 cup)
1 cup powdered sugar
1/4 tsp. salt
3 tsp. vanilla extract
1 tsp butter flavoring

add cooled flour/milk mixture one spoonful at a time, mixing well after each addition.

Then add 3 more cups of Powdered Sugar, one cup at a time. Mix until smooth and creamy. Fill Whoopie shells.

**you can add the ps 1 cup at a time to customize the sweetness to your liking. That's what I did and 4 cups powdered sugar total was perfect to my sweet tooth. icon_smile.gif

God gave us a sweet tooth!!
Eat more Cake!!

Lea

How did you get them so large and not have them flatten? I make an Oatmeal pie, but only in minis because large ones won't rise. Maybe your recipe is more stable? Your's look great!

Teekakes Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 1:17am
post #317 of 425

Majormichel & K2......thanks for the compliments! My secret for these Oatmeal Whoopies is the recipe right on the box lid of a Box of Quaker Oats! icon_biggrin.gif
A single recipe of it made exactly 14 Whoopies. I use a melon baller scoop for the cookie dough. Each cookie consisted of 3 scoops, one stacked on top of the other. After I put the 3rd scoop on I pressed down slightly, only to ensure they would spread out "round". I did not flatten the stack of scoops out at all, but kept them really tall.
K2, I am sure this is the reason mine stayed a bit thicker than an average Oatmeal cookie, yet baked up nice and round.

Two more have eaten these Oatmeal whoopies tonight and both gave them rave reviews. The filling is the hands down favorite of all fillings now, even the fillings I use in cakes! icon_surprised.gif

Criola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Criola Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 3:42pm
post #318 of 425

TeeKakes; thank you for sharing! I can't wait to try the recipe.

-Liz

Linliv46 Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 5:58pm
post #319 of 425

Lea, your oatmeal whoopies look great! Can't wait too try your filling recipe maybe next week. Your oatmeal cookie looks thicker & I like that because mine were kind of thin and delicate not cakey like the other flavors! Well I am learning to do ducks so I will get back to "whoopies" soon!

JGMB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JGMB Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 2:32pm
post #320 of 425

I haven't had time to read all of the 22 icon_eek.gif pages on this thread, so if someone else has already told about this, just ignore me!!!

I bought a new Food Network cookie sheet yesterday (at the Wilton Tent Sale), and guess what's pictured on the front? Yep, chocolate whoopie pies -- although, in the recipe on the back, they spell it "whoopee." I found their filling idea very odd. They say to let the cookies cool 2 minutes, pop a whole marshmallow in between 2 warm cookies, and call it a day. Has anyone ever heard of this method before?

mellee Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 4:48pm
post #321 of 425

I haven't heard of that JGMB. I'd find it quite a disappointment, I think, especially after having eaten so many "real" whoopie pies in my life! icon_smile.gif Try one of the recipes listed here and you'll see a MAJOR difference. Good luck--these are so yummy! icon_smile.gif

kkitchen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kkitchen Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 9:45pm
post #322 of 425

Well with all this chat about whoopie pies, you all had me going crazy --- especially since I am on a diet. I finally gave in and said I will try -- but, it is taking an Amish Army to keep me from eating them --- icon_cry.gif . I left each and every one in the fridge for DH when he gets home. He will be surprised. I will post recipes and procedure on my blog later. I must say that these cakes felt moist. And, I know that the Cream cheese filling was yummy. I tasted a little bit. icon_biggrin.gif
Here is some eye candy, enjoy ....

I don't know why the photos are appearing fuzzy, if you click on it, you will see it clear.
LL
LL
LL

mellee Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 11:15pm
post #323 of 425

TrinaR------*GASP*! Yummilicious! And you're not even having ONE?????? Girl, that is willpower to the MAX! I admit it! You're stronger than me! icon_biggrin.gif

Linliv46 Posted 6 Jun 2009 , 12:27am
post #324 of 425

Trina, those look sooo good!
Has anybody been to KingArthur.com? I get there newletter & its all about Whoopie Pies and there is a Banana Whoopie recipe if your interested!

Teekakes Posted 6 Jun 2009 , 2:35am
post #325 of 425

Thanks everybody and you are welcome for the recipe!

Trina........your Whoopies look wonderful and that raspberry cc filling sounds to die for!!! I don't know how you are not eating JUST 1!!! Wow! That is some kind of will power! I am impressed! You go girl! thumbs_up.gif

rocketmom1985 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rocketmom1985 Posted 6 Jun 2009 , 2:53am
post #326 of 425

The King Arthur Four ad just arrived in my inbox today and it's all about whoppie pies...here's the link:

http://tiny.cc/8AcX3

They used marshmallow creme for the filling...nah, not for me...give me that twinkee kinda stuff and I am a happy camper. Now I gotta make some... icon_razz.gif

Teekakes Posted 6 Jun 2009 , 3:14am
post #327 of 425

Rocketmom....Thanks! I copied the Banana Whoopie Pie recipe! Sounds great and looks really promising!!

splymale Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
splymale Posted 6 Jun 2009 , 12:05pm
post #328 of 425
Quote:

OK, got the Oatmeal Whoopies made today and here are the pics for ya. I worked up my own cooked flour filling recipe because I did not like the one I had, at all. The filling I did end up with is my favorite of all the fillings so far, it is simply delicious and you can make it as sweet or not sweet to suite yourself.

Yummo!
Were your oatmeal cookies soft like the Little Debbies?
I have tried a few recipes & the cookies are a too hard on the bottom for me. I'd like the pie to be smushier.
Also, what strawberry recipe did you use?
i can't wait to try your filling recipe, it looks great!

floridagal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
floridagal Posted 6 Jun 2009 , 12:29pm
post #329 of 425

Yippee!! I finally made it to the end of the thread! All of your whoopies look SO delicious! I don't know which one to make first. Oatmeal? Chocolate? Strawberry? Or maybe try Snickerdoodle? Ooh, Red Velvet? Just what I need - another food addiction!! icon_cry.gif

I can hardly wait to try some of these. I'm going to use the excuse of taking them to church with me tomorrow so maybe I can try alot of flavors today! And I think Whoopie pies for the kids lunch sound pretty nutritious - banana, strawberry - there's their fruit and dairy! And with the eggs that's theor protein. A very well balanced meal, I'm such a good mom.

Now I'm thinking along the lines of a banana split - banana, strawberry, chocolate, maybe make a cherry flavored filling (wouldn't that be good with the vanilla whoopies). OK, I've got to gostart baking something!

Melissa

Teekakes Posted 6 Jun 2009 , 2:33pm
post #330 of 425
Quote:
Originally Posted by splymale

Quote:

Yummo!
Were your oatmeal cookies soft like the Little Debbies?
I have tried a few recipes & the cookies are a too hard on the bottom for me. I'd like the pie to be smushier.
Also, what strawberry recipe did you use?
i can't wait to try your filling recipe, it looks great!

Yes they are soft like Little Debbies and a whole lot better!
The key to keeping them soft is to not bake them to long. I take them out of the oven when the center of the cookie is still very soft.
Hope you like the filling when you get around to trying it. My family has requested I make another batch of the Oatmeal and my filling this weekend. This is their favorite and mine too! icon_smile.gif
Here's the Strawberry recipe for ya......the filling for it is excellent too!

STRAWBERRY WHOOPIE PIES

Cookies:

1 cup (about 5 ounces) stemmed and halved strawberries
3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
3/4 tsp. salt
2 cups light brown sugar
2/3 cup canola oil
1/2 cup plain yogurt
2 large eggs
Filling:

1 cup (about 5 ounces) stemmed and halved strawberries
5 egg whites
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
4 sticks butter , cut into cubes, at room temperature
Red no-taste gel food coloring
To make cookies: Put strawberries in a food processor and pulse in short bursts just until they are chopped into small pieces (about 4 to 5 pulses), and set aside. (Be careful not to puree them.) Sift flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt into a medium bowl, and set aside.

Put brown sugar and oil in a large bowl and mix well, using the back of a spoon to break up any lumps in sugar. Whisk in chopped strawberries and yogurt until combined, then whisk in eggs, one at a time, just until combined. Fold in flour mixture in two parts, being careful not to overwork the batter. Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes.

Preheat oven to 350°. Using a measuring spoon, drop a heaping tablespoon of batter onto a parchment-paper-lined baking sheet to form each cookie, spacing dollops about 2 inches apart. Working in batches, bake until cookies are set and a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean, 10 to 12 minutes. Remove cookies from oven; cool completely.

To make filling: Puree strawberries in a food processor until smooth (about 15 seconds); set aside. Whisk egg whites and granulated sugar together in the top of a double boiler until sugar is dissolved and mixture is milky white, about 2 minutes. Transfer egg white mixture to the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a whisk attachment and whisk on high speed until soft peaks form and mixture is glossy, about 2 minutes. Remove whisk attachment and replace with paddle attachment. Add butter and beat until smooth and fluffy, about 5 minutes. Add reserved strawberry puree and about 3 to 5 drops food coloring (frosting should be a light shade of pink), and beat again until well combined, about 1 minute more.

To assemble: Generously frost the flat side of half of the cookies, then top each with an unfrosted cookie to form sandwiches. Transfer to a platter and serve.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%