Whoopie Pies The New Cupcake

Business By maryjsgirl Updated 3 Dec 2010 , 5:32pm by cupcakeatheart

Teekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Teekakes Posted 31 May 2009 , 3:02pm
post #271 of 425

Hey Diane! icon_smile.gif Yes, wanted to get some made up for the grandkids to enjoy!
The Strawberry recipe calls them cookies so that is how I referred to them. However, they are not cookie like at all. They are cakey just like the Wicked chocolate Whoopie shells are. The strawberry dough is a bit thicker than the chocolate dough is but they bake out the same.
Oh a Lemon one does sound mouth watering delicious!! Will have to work on a recipe for them. I want to try the Vanilla ones soon too and could make the Lemon ones all at the same mess. Maybe next weekends project! icon_biggrin.gif

mellee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mellee Posted 31 May 2009 , 9:05pm
post #272 of 425

Dang Teekakes! Those are some fancy-looking whoopies! icon_smile.gif Drop by my house at 7 p.m. with a batch, would ya? icon_biggrin.gif

fiddlesticks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fiddlesticks Posted 31 May 2009 , 9:33pm
post #273 of 425

Hey Lea ! YA I read that the recipe called them cookies and hoped that they were not. I love the cakey ones!
These are so so bad, but oh so delicious!
I wonder how much weight we could loose on a 3 whoopie a day diet!! LOL!

Teekakes Posted 31 May 2009 , 10:29pm
post #274 of 425

Thanks, Mellee! Nothing fancy about them though, just put them on a plate with some fresh strawberries is all.
I sent most of them home with my daughter to take to work with her tomorrow as they are MUCH to dangerously delicious to keep them all here! icon_lol.gif

Diane, we thought the same thing about the "cookie" term in the strawberry and also hoped they would be cakey since that is what we really liked about the chocolate ones.
Are you sure 4 Whoopies couldn't be squeezed in on the diet and still lose weight!!??
icon_lol.gif

Linliv46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Linliv46 Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 7:22pm
post #275 of 425

Ohhh Lea they look so good! Finished my cookies so I will make some strawberry this week! How many did the recipe make & what size did you make?

Teekakes Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 9:11pm
post #276 of 425

Thanks Linda! icon_smile.gif
The strawberry recipe makes up 17 finished whoopies, apx 3" diameter. I had 1 extra cookie/shell. The filling makes up plenty too and boy is it ever delish! I could eat the strawberry filling on a lot of things. It would be awesome on toasted English muffins etc...............so so good!

Glad you got your cookies all finished! thumbs_up.gif

fiddlesticks Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 10:09pm
post #277 of 425

I think these whoopie fillings would be good as a cupcake filling to!

Teekakes Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 10:14pm
post #278 of 425
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlesticks

OMGosh yes!!! I agree completely, Diane!! icon_biggrin.gif

Linliv46 Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 10:30pm
post #279 of 425

[quote="Teekakes"]

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlesticks

OMGosh yes!!! I agree completely, Diane!! icon_biggrin.gif[/quote

Does anyone think the strawberry filling has to be refridgerated since it sounds so much like SMBC?

Teekakes Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 10:52pm
post #280 of 425

I don't think it does. I leave 1 or 2 sticks of butter at room temp all the time so we can have softened butter for spreading when we want it. Lasts anywhere from 1 to 2 weeks usually before being all used. Never has it gone bad. The egg whites are cooked/heated up enough while dissolving the sugar so that shouldn't be a problem.
I did refridgerate the unused portion of the strawberry filling, but not the whoopies.
icon_smile.gif

SugarLover2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarLover2 Posted 2 Jun 2009 , 12:09am
post #281 of 425

Ahhh, I just had my first whoopie pie!! I'm hooked and thank god for this thread. Now, off to read 19 pages and write every little recipe and note down. I'm gonna make these till they come out my ears!!

Linliv46 Posted 2 Jun 2009 , 12:13am
post #282 of 425
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teekakes

I don't think it does. I leave 1 or 2 sticks of butter at room temp all the time so we can have softened butter for spreading when we want it. Lasts anywhere from 1 to 2 weeks usually before being all used. Never has it gone bad. The egg whites are cooked/heated up enough while dissolving the sugar so that shouldn't be a problem.
I did refridgerate the unused portion of the strawberry filling, but not the whoopies.
icon_smile.gif

I do the same thumbs_up.gif ! I am going to try these now!

Teekakes Posted 2 Jun 2009 , 12:22am
post #283 of 425
Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarLover2

Ahhh, I just had my first whoopie pie!! I'm hooked and thank god for this thread. Now, off to read 19 pages and write every little recipe and note down. I'm gonna make these till they come out my ears!!

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif To funny! I am seriously having a fight with myself right now! My taste buds and half my brain say eat your THIRD one for the day!! The other part of my brain says don't do it!! It's awful right now! I got the icon_evil.gif on my left and my king.gif on my right!! icon_lol.gif

SugarLover2 Posted 2 Jun 2009 , 12:53am
post #284 of 425

I hear ya teekakes! We were just out in Lancaster PA over memorial day and I bought 8 at an Amish bakery. They were gone in about 2 days between 4 of us. Then I went to another bakery on our way home and instead of the chocolate I got oatmeal. Yummmm! The 4 of them lasted about 1 day. i actually ate them until i thought I'd get sick just so they'd be gone. Now I'm working them off! lol

Teekakes Posted 2 Jun 2009 , 1:55am
post #285 of 425

Oatmeal Whoopies??? Was the shell like a thick chewy oatmeal cookie? Kind of like the Little Debbie Oatmeal pies? Oh my Lordie I would have to make those when no one else was home so nobody could eat them but, me!! icon_lol.gif

SugarLover2 Posted 2 Jun 2009 , 1:57am
post #286 of 425

they were like thick, chewy oatmeal cookies. they were about 3" round and sooo good. the only thing was that between the sweetness of the oatmeal cookie and icing it was almost too sweet, but in a good way! lol the chocolate ones were yummy chocolate, but less sweet-so just right. of course-just right means you can eat a whole lot more of them before getting a gut ache. hehehe

Teekakes Posted 2 Jun 2009 , 2:13am
post #287 of 425

WeeeeEEEEEELL, I can tell you what I am going to be making next instead of the Vanilla and Lemon ones. Oatmeal Whoopies!
Diane, I will get those Lemon ones made soon though but if you get to them first be sure and let us know!! icon_biggrin.gif

Linliv46 Posted 2 Jun 2009 , 2:47am
post #288 of 425

Ohhh, me! Got the strawberry whoopies made! They are definitely a keeper! Would make a pic but I am too tired tonite! If anybody finds the oatmeal whoopie recipe let us know. I would be interested! Also, Lemon! Gosh I have got to stop this! icon_rolleyes.gifthumbs_up.gif
But they are all sooo good! icon_biggrin.gif

Teekakes Posted 2 Jun 2009 , 2:55am
post #289 of 425

Linda, I was thinking of using my Oatmeal cookie recipe as a start and see how that works. I will make the dough thicker by adding extra flour and see how that works to keep them from speading to much.
Don't you think?

Glad you got the strawberry ones made and like them! DH just had his night time dessert............1 strawberry whoopie with a scoop of vanilla bean ice cream topped with fresh sliced strawberries! icon_surprised.gif

kellertur Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kellertur Posted 2 Jun 2009 , 2:56am
post #290 of 425

Last night I made "Snickerdoodle" Whoopie pies.

Teekakes Posted 2 Jun 2009 , 2:59am
post #291 of 425
Quote:
Originally Posted by K2cakes

Last night I made "Snickerdoodle" Whoopie pies.

icon_surprised.gif Where's the recipe!!??? Wow! That sounds very good!

kellertur Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kellertur Posted 2 Jun 2009 , 3:07am
post #292 of 425

There is no recipe...that's just me playing "mad scientist" in the kitchen. I used my vanilla whoopie recipe and added cinnamon, nutmeg & sugar... very good. I made a van-cinnamon filling.

I keep trying new flavor combinations... I'm just bored of making the same ones.

Teekakes Posted 2 Jun 2009 , 3:09am
post #293 of 425

Gotcha..............so just like the snickerdoodle cookie flavor. Thanks!!icon_smile.gif

cake-angel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cake-angel Posted 2 Jun 2009 , 4:20am
post #294 of 425

These all sound amazing and the pictures make my mouth water. I will have to try these sometime as I haven't heard of them before. Thanks for sharing!!

fiddlesticks Posted 2 Jun 2009 , 3:59pm
post #295 of 425

Oh this is a bad bad thread ! LOL!
But I love it !
I have made the oatmeal ones in the past with my reg cookie recipe, Yep its all good !
There are some scattered recipes in this thread for pumpkin ones and maybe others to I cant remember!
The possibility's are endless!

mellee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mellee Posted 2 Jun 2009 , 4:41pm
post #296 of 425

SugarLover2......another whoopie casualty........

icon_biggrin.gif

Teekakes Posted 2 Jun 2009 , 4:53pm
post #297 of 425

Diane, did you add extra flour to yoru cookie recipe so they would turn out more cakey like than cookie like? Did you use the same type filling that the chocolate ones use? Now you know Greg is going to be after me until I get these made since Oatmeal Raisin cookies are his favs! icon_lol.gif

Linliv46 Posted 2 Jun 2009 , 5:56pm
post #298 of 425

Well, I found a Oatmeal Whoopie recipe! I might try it later in the day! Have to act like I am doing a little dusting today also! icon_rolleyes.gif Will definitely post back later! thumbs_up.gif
A little off subject:
Oh and if any of you "whoopie buddies" know how to go about molding a fondant baby duck will you please tell me! My DD thinks I can do everything! TIA icon_wink.gif

GrandmaG Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GrandmaG Posted 2 Jun 2009 , 6:21pm
post #299 of 425

I haven't made any of these but can't wait to try these! I have been keeping a recipe to try for awhile called Browned Butter Cream Sandwhich Cookies that sounded yummy!
In fact, after looking the LandOLakes website up again there are quite a few different flavors that sound yummy!
http://www.landolakes.com/mealIdeas/RecipeBox_BrowseResult.cfm?Category=Keyword&Keyword=sandwich%20cookies&Row=1&ResultTitle=sandwich%20cookies%20Recipes&RecipesPerPage=15

fiddlesticks Posted 2 Jun 2009 , 6:25pm
post #300 of 425

Lea, I just used my reg cookie recipe just like it is, it was just fine. But I was making it to be a cookie whoopie not a cake whoopie!
I also just made up a filling out of my buttercream recipe and added extra spices ,cinnamon etc. Maybe not so much P,S, ( less sweet) It was just for fun one day. Its been some time ago and I didn't write any of it down of course !
I would love to remake them with the reg whoopie filling though !
Linda, that duck is really easy, just grab a hunk of fondant /gumpaste whatever your using and make a couple balls and start stretching it till it looks like a duck! You will be surprised how it will come to life . You should be able to make it out of only two fondant balls or (3) for an extra wing piece on each side if you want the wing 3D.
Just pretend its play dough!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%