Whoopie Pies The New Cupcake

Business By maryjsgirl Updated 3 Dec 2010 , 5:32pm by cupcakeatheart

fiddlesticks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fiddlesticks Posted 20 May 2009 , 7:27pm
post #181 of 425

Oh no I must of scared everyone away! LOL!!

rocketmom1985 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rocketmom1985 Posted 21 May 2009 , 2:43am
post #182 of 425

I have just finished reading all 13 pages of this thread...OMG...my teeth hurt from all the sweet recipes I have been reading, lol!

Aren't Hostess SuzyQ's like a whoopie pie? Or an attempt to copy a whoopie pie?

When I was a kid (well, OK, still....) I love(d) SuzyQ's! Now I gotta make whoppie pies. The filling recipe with the flour cooked with milk then beat into shortening is very similar to recipes for old fashioned buttercream my great gramma made...called baker's buttercream I think.

Now, does anyone have a homemake twinkee or zinger recipe? icon_rolleyes.gif

craftermom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
craftermom Posted 21 May 2009 , 3:24am
post #183 of 425

I used to make the cooked version of the whoopie pie filling but since I discovered the Dream Whip icing, I just use that -- it works perfectly!

fiddlesticks Posted 21 May 2009 , 11:24am
post #184 of 425

Good Morning Glad to see the thread is still going !
Yes somewhat like Suzie Q's I believe the cake part is slightly different( to me anyway)
Not sure about a Zinger but there are homemade Twinkie recipes out there somewhere. I have ran across them.

chassidyg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chassidyg Posted 21 May 2009 , 1:34pm
post #185 of 425

I saw something about chocolate & bc, I made the recipe on the back of the hersheys cocoa today, and it's super yum! & super chocolate. I doubled it with no problems & instead of white milk used chocolate milk icon_smile.gif

mellee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mellee Posted 21 May 2009 , 4:47pm
post #186 of 425

Hey Craftermom, I've been wondering about that. You use the Dream Whip recipe? I've been wondering about the Cool Whip recipe. I've made both and found the Cook Whip to be tastier.

1 cup cold milk
1 small box INSTANT pudding
1/4 cup powdered sugar
8 oz cool whip (I use the store brand)

Defrost the cool whip in the fridge for a good 4 hours. Mix together the milk, pudding, and powdered sugar (some people leave out the sugar). Let sit for a few minutes to "set." Fold in by hand the cool whip. Delicious! You can add some extracts to spruce it up some too. This is shelf stable for at least a few days and fridge stable for several more. I did a cool whip experiment here: http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopicp-6266080-.html#6266080

Has anyone tried the cool whip/dream whip recipes in their whoopies? icon_smile.gif

kellertur Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kellertur Posted 21 May 2009 , 5:24pm
post #187 of 425
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketmom1985

I have just finished reading all 13 pages of this thread...OMG...my teeth hurt from all the sweet recipes I have been reading, lol!

Aren't Hostess SuzyQ's like a whoopie pie? Or an attempt to copy a whoopie pie?

When I was a kid (well, OK, still....) I love(d) SuzyQ's! Now I gotta make whoppie pies. The filling recipe with the flour cooked with milk then beat into shortening is very similar to recipes for old fashioned buttercream my great gramma made...called baker's buttercream I think.

Now, does anyone have a homemake twinkee or zinger recipe? icon_rolleyes.gif

I make vegan twinkies in a Twinkie canoe pan... only I call them something else and they won't block anyone's arteries... icon_rolleyes.gif

Ok, everyone... I have THREE (or FOUR) words:
"Cookies & Creme" Whoopie pies!!! icon_cool.gif

fiddlesticks Posted 21 May 2009 , 6:59pm
post #188 of 425

I was thinking about a lemon meringue whoopie to !
K2cakes.. Did you figure out your choc B.C.?

kellertur Posted 22 May 2009 , 12:32am
post #189 of 425

Lemon? Great idea.. but would they need refrigeration?

Here are a couple of pics for you Fiddlesticks. Sorry if the photos are big...

choc whoopie pies

Oatmeal Whoopie pies (Little Debbie's got nothing on me icon_biggrin.gif )

Caramel-coconut bars (tastes like GS Samoas)
LL
LL
LL

fiddlesticks Posted 22 May 2009 , 12:57am
post #190 of 425

K2cakes... Oh I hate you those look so good !
Im all over those choc ones!!! Yummy!
Lemon ones, probably can be left out if you make a reg cream filling with LorAnn flavoring I made some lemon glazed cookies the other day that were just to die for delicious!
Im sure we could make a good lemon filling that doesent need the fridge.
Now are you using a b.c. filling ? What is in these choc ones b.c.? pastry creme ?? Do you use the same filling and just change the flavor ? Other then the cream cheese ?

kellertur Posted 22 May 2009 , 1:22am
post #191 of 425

The pics are filled with my whoopie pie filling (which I do flavor or do mix-ins). It's really just a thinner/spreadable version of my buttercream, but less sweet. The texture is smooth and creamy.

I don't use cream cheese because even the vegan version needs refrigeration and my license is for non-haz. For that same reason, pastry creme is out too. I do a lot of wholesale at a local health-food store with whoopie pies, cake squares, etc., so the shelf-life's about a week with my whoopie/BC filling. Sugar, the eighth wonder of the world... scary, yet so desired.

About the lemon filling~ how do you make a non-refrig. lemon filling?

This is actually a fun thread... it kind of feels like a 12 step program for my previous anti-whoopie attitude. It helps that I found a shortcut... heh heh... they really don't care what shape they are...

fiddlesticks Posted 22 May 2009 , 1:50am
post #192 of 425

Oh I forgot you were making only vegan! Well I was thinking maybe just flavoring what ever filling you already use and adding fresh lemon juice as the liquid and/or LorAnn flavoring ( can you use any of that ? ) I will just adapt what ever filling I use also !
I have only made them 1 time a while back and used my muffin top pans and didnt like how thin they were. I want thick ones ( cake part ) I hope to make some soon. been busy baking other things lately. Pound cakes etc! Not items you post on CC. Can you use bettercreme ? Its non dairy . It can sit out for several days.

kellertur Posted 22 May 2009 , 2:28am
post #193 of 425

I can use Loran's, just haven't yet. I can't use Bettercreme, but my BC recipe can sit out about a week anyway with no worries. I individually wrap my whoopie pies anyway. I motified Sugarshack's recipe for my whoopie pies. That woman is a GENIUS!

Fiddlesticks~ By the way, I looked at your site and that lasagne looks FANTASTIC!!!
Literally, picture perfect and belongs in a cooking magazine. thumbs_up.gif

fiddlesticks Posted 22 May 2009 , 3:21am
post #194 of 425

Why thank-you! I appreciate you looking !
I love Sharons b.c. also. And yes Im also a big fan of hers! What a sweet heart she is!

kellertur Posted 22 May 2009 , 10:51pm
post #195 of 425

Tonight I'm making (for a wholesale order):

~ Peanut Butter Cup whoopie pies w/ homemade PB cup on top
~ Peppermint Patty Whoopie Pies w/ homemade Peppermint patty on top

Let me ask you something (anyone...):

Has anyone ever made a "Lemon Creamsicle" cake? Last night I had a dream I was swimming in a HUGE vat of swirled batter (lemon and creamy vanilla) icon_confused.gif It was actually a nightmare... icon_surprised.gif

fiddlesticks Posted 23 May 2009 , 3:09am
post #196 of 425

LOL! Sometimes good ideas come from dreams ! ' Theres a" gourmet flavor "thread going on and they have a file of all their recipes from that thread and they have a dreamsicle flavor maybe you could get an idea from that even though its orange..on the creamy part ??
Just a thought!
Your p.b. an p.p. sound good to !

fiddlesticks Posted 23 May 2009 , 3:14am
post #197 of 425

Heres the link to the recipes!
http://docs.google.com/Doc?id=df4f9hbq_46cs9f28fs

djs328 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
djs328 Posted 23 May 2009 , 3:15am
post #198 of 425
Quote:
Originally Posted by K2cakes

Tonight I'm making (for a wholesale order):

~ Peanut Butter Cup whoopie pies w/ homemade PB cup on top
~ Peppermint Patty Whoopie Pies w/ homemade Peppermint patty on top

Let me ask you something (anyone...):

Has anyone ever made a "Lemon Creamsicle" cake? Last night I had a dream I was swimming in a HUGE vat of swirled batter (lemon and creamy vanilla) icon_confused.gif It was actually a nightmare... icon_surprised.gif

Ooh, ooh I did this! icon_smile.gif Sort of...just posted in Fri Night Cake Club thread: I JUST made a Key Lime Cake today - using the Orange Creamsicle recipe: just subbed key lime sherbert and lime yogurt, used a lemon cake mix and lemon pudding mix and LoAnn lime oil.. hoping it tastes as yummy as it smells & looks! For DD's birthday on Mon. The creamsicle cake (SIL made it) was FANTASTIC...hoping for similar results! We'll see! icon_smile.gif

kellertur Posted 23 May 2009 , 4:59am
post #199 of 425

I was about to be all melodramatic: (places arm to forehead)

"But alas, sweet cake friends... I cannot use the WASC recipe for I am a lonely scratch baker, shunned from society for my renegade baking methods..." (exit stage left) icon_cry.gif

However~ someone was fantastic enough to include how one might alter these into scratch recipes. Very nice, by the way.... whoever you are. icon_smile.gif

I do believe I can not only scratch-i-cize them, but veganize as well.

Thank you... that key lime flavor sounds great!

fiddlesticks Posted 23 May 2009 , 1:57pm
post #200 of 425

K2cakes.. I didn't think you could use them the way they were for one reason or another, that's why a few posts back I said maybe you can adapt ( get ideas ) from them to work for you flavor wise etc!
There's so many flavor ideas there I hope some work out for you!

kellertur Posted 23 May 2009 , 10:49pm
post #201 of 425

Fiddlesticks ~ You're awesome! I was so blown away by so many ideas that hadn't even crossed my mind. I was feeling particularly silly last night, incase you hadn't noticed... Thanks so much for posting that link. icon_wink.gif I can tell LOTS of work went in by many people.

fiddlesticks Posted 24 May 2009 , 12:20am
post #202 of 425

Hey! Be sure and make us hungry by posting pic,s of your new flavors!

Linliv46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Linliv46 Posted 24 May 2009 , 1:39am
post #203 of 425

Has anyone had success making these with a cake mix and if so what or how much of everything do ya add to the mix! They look and sound yummy!
I am sooo behind and trying to read all the thread! icon_rolleyes.gif

kellertur Posted 24 May 2009 , 2:15am
post #204 of 425

Here's a famous Maine recipe. (Wicked Whoopies!) The owner posted the recipe online... I didn't steal it. I don't use it because I use organic/vegan ingredients, (and I like my recipe better) but this one is a national best seller. (It was very generous of her to share it).

http://www.oprah.com/recipe/food/recipessides/food_20070416_whoopie

I've adapted my own recipes, after many long nights...(my customers are so picky and actually LOVE that icky, sticky feeling of having cake stuck to your fingers... the licking the fingers thing grosses me out, but that's me...)

Good luck!!! thumbs_up.gif

Linliv46 Posted 24 May 2009 , 2:35am
post #205 of 425

That looks like a good recipe! When you drop these on a cookie sheet would it measure about a heaping tablespoon?

kellertur Posted 24 May 2009 , 2:43am
post #206 of 425

I use a cookie scoop. It's much more accurate and easier. I use the mini scoop for mini whoopie pies. Space them so they can spread... they do quite a bit. Her recipe spreads kind of weird, but they turn out fine. Make sure you mix well between batches so the ingredients don't settle. I made that mistake and they looked very sci-fi.

Vanilla Whoopie pies are nearly impossible in my opinion because they never rise enough, but someone must have a good recipe somewhere. Mine would turn out like soft cookies (still tasted great), but I started making square vanilla (or flavored white) whoopie pies because it was annoying me.

Once you have a recipe that works for you, it's just a matter of "banging them out", so get in a zone... icon_wink.gif

fiddlesticks Posted 24 May 2009 , 2:54am
post #207 of 425

I just know if I start eating these I wont want to stop!
Hey Linda I got your email !!!

Linliv46 Posted 24 May 2009 , 2:59am
post #208 of 425

Hey Fiddlesticks, I am sooo far behind! I think I will make these tho! I only have one size cookie scoop & that is what I use for choc chip cookies! Do you think that would be big enough!

kellertur Posted 24 May 2009 , 2:59am
post #209 of 425

I'm lucky I don't like sweets much and I've been "bread sober" for 2 years this month! Rice is my friend, bread is the enemy! icon_rolleyes.gif

Fiddlesticks~ how did you get the noodles to look so realistic in your avatar? That little guy is so cute!

Linliv46 Posted 24 May 2009 , 3:06am
post #210 of 425
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlesticks

I just know if I start eating these I wont want to stop!
Hey Linda I got your email !!!

Thanks for the nice comment! They both loved their cakes------So glad that is out of the way! thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%