A Different Way Of Doing Things....

Decorating By SeriousCakes Updated 27 Mar 2009 , 12:30am by juleebug

SeriousCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SeriousCakes Posted 26 Mar 2009 , 4:34am
post #1 of 31

This lady's videos are interesting, particularly this one:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zKwiHDlSh6E&feature=channel_page
She also does a rose on a stick and makes her own piping bags! Cool stuff thumbs_up.gif

30 replies
EnjoyTheCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
EnjoyTheCake Posted 26 Mar 2009 , 5:05am
post #2 of 31

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zKwiHDlSh6E&feature=related

Did she pour 5 cups of simple syrup on this cake? How does it not become total mush? Can someone explain what exactly I'm looking at please.

** edited to say ** When I first saw this post the youtube link didn't work. I didn't know that the original link was about the soaked cake.

Also, what does she use to make her bags? They are the noisiest bags I have ever heard. I think her chocolate bow was good though.

CakeMommy3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMommy3 Posted 26 Mar 2009 , 5:14am
post #3 of 31

And the good news is, you won't even have to chew it! That was really weird...

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 26 Mar 2009 , 5:29am
post #4 of 31

oh. my. god. that was the craziest thing I ever saw. and please tell me oil comes like that over there and she didn't refill a soap bottle. can we take up a collection to send the poor dear a turntable and an icing spatula?

sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 26 Mar 2009 , 5:34am
post #5 of 31

It soaked it all up like a sponge! icon_eek.gif I do not understand that at all. What kind of cake is that dry and needs that kind of a bath? I think I would pass on that unless it was rum. icon_lol.gif

DsLady614 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DsLady614 Posted 26 Mar 2009 , 5:38am
post #6 of 31

Interesting. Definitely not a more developed nation. I don't really get the one with all the syrup though, that's sort of strange.

JulyMama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JulyMama Posted 26 Mar 2009 , 5:39am
post #7 of 31

Wow! that was interesting! She brought me out of lurkdom, lol! I like the rest of her videos, it's cool how she takes a piping bag and cuts it into a leaf tip. She's very fast!

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 26 Mar 2009 , 5:48am
post #8 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoryAK

oh. my. god. that was the craziest thing I ever saw. and please tell me oil comes like that over there and she didn't refill a soap bottle. can we take up a collection to send the poor dear a turntable and an icing spatula?

I thought about the soap too!
Edna icon_lol.gif

tonedna Posted 26 Mar 2009 , 5:50am
post #9 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by sadsmile

It soaked it all up like a sponge! icon_eek.gif I do not understand that at all. What kind of cake is that dry and needs that kind of a bath? I think I would pass on that unless it was rum. icon_lol.gif

In rum cake you put that much syrup.. Is actually really good!
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

Chippi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chippi Posted 26 Mar 2009 , 6:39am
post #10 of 31

Wow, maybe I should return all my cake decorating supplies? icon_smile.gif

Truly I was looking for the eggs and bacon!

It's really kinda cool to see how things are done in other countries, I've heard of rum cakes that Edna's talking about. Maybe I should move to that country and be a cake tester!!! Anyone wanna join me? hehe

Chippi

i_heart_pastry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
i_heart_pastry Posted 26 Mar 2009 , 12:09pm
post #11 of 31

OK, one of my little quirks is that I am completely repulsed by wet baked goods. I've never liked gravy on bread, french dips, mayo on sandwiches, syrup on pancakes (although a little on the side to dunk is ok)...I don't even butter my bread.

I had to turn off that video halfway through. It was triggering my gag reflex. Seriously, that is going to stick in my head for waaayyyy too long!! lol

Bec

Luvsthedogs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Luvsthedogs Posted 26 Mar 2009 , 12:12pm
post #12 of 31

Looks like she needs to serve that in a glass with a bubble tea straw instead of a plate!

I don't understand why she added more oil (or whatever that was...) as the icing (?) looked like syrup already.

lapazlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lapazlady Posted 26 Mar 2009 , 12:41pm
post #13 of 31

Very interesting. Where did all that simple syrup go? Sure gives a bit on insight into another way of doing cakes. She's quite skilled with that spoon and spatula.

cakedoll Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakedoll Posted 26 Mar 2009 , 12:53pm
post #14 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by i_heart_pastry

OK, one of my little quirks is that I am completely repulsed by wet baked goods. I've never liked gravy on bread, french dips, mayo on sandwiches, syrup on pancakes (although a little on the side to dunk is ok)...I don't even butter my bread.

Bec

I thought I was the only one who was OCD about wet bakery...Hallelugiah! I'm not alone! icon_lol.gif

My neighbor is from Honduras and one of her friends does a lot of baking for their church. She was telling me that when the woman bakes cakes for a church function, she has to do 2 of them; one regular and one drenched for the ones who like "soft" cake. Bleccchh!

SeriousCakes Posted 26 Mar 2009 , 12:54pm
post #15 of 31

Her homepage says Bulgaria, but I couldn't find anything else out. I thought her videos were pretty cool, I liked her ingenuity, I mean, c'mon using a bowl as a turntable?
I also thought it was sugar syrup that she was putting on the cake but the more I thought about it the more I'm agreeing with Edna, Rum cakes are literally SOAKED in the stuff. I was given one once with and extra side of rum, in case I wanted to soak mine more! If you noticed, the cake was soaking it up, without falling apart. I don't think it would have been 'wet', just moist.
If you watch her video on how she made roses:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TG2WiRtgOMI&feature=channel_page
You can see what she uses to make her bags. I'm not sure what that is, reminds me of cellophane. I remember reading in 'Cheaper by the Dozen' (the real one) that a chef used rolled up newspaper as a piping bag.
There are always other ways to do thing, sometimes you just have to work with what you have! Or be inventive icon_wink.gif When I first started this I used the top of a meat thermometer to pipe roses icon_lol.gif

newnancy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newnancy Posted 26 Mar 2009 , 1:18pm
post #16 of 31

"the top of a meat thermometer to pipe roses"......I love it, that is just too funny, but would never have thought of it. I bet this could be a whole new thread talking about different ways people do things or have done them in a pinch.

cakes22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakes22 Posted 26 Mar 2009 , 1:45pm
post #17 of 31

Maybe she is drenching her cakes in RUM!!!! teehee...... icon_eek.gif

Serious_cakes: I love your youtube videos. I have learned a LOT from you! Your cakes are amazing..... icon_biggrin.gif

sadsmile Posted 26 Mar 2009 , 1:53pm
post #18 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonedna

Edna icon_biggrin.gif

Yeah a nice brown sugar rum syrup-that sounds delish! I love rum cake with pecans! icon_twisted.gif

Hey I heard Rihanna on her radio. Did you guys hear the sound her butter cream made while piping the rose and leaves and boarders?Sounded like little farting. Haha

tonedna Posted 26 Mar 2009 , 2:03pm
post #19 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by sadsmile

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonedna

Edna icon_biggrin.gif

Yeah a nice brown sugar rum syrup-that sounds delish! I love rum cake with pecans! icon_twisted.gif

Hey I heard Rihanna on her radio. Did you guys hear the sound her butter cream made while piping the rose and leaves and boarders?Sounded like little farting. Haha

I was surprised about the music. Did you guys see the Snow white cake?
This lady can draw!...How about the border!..Nice idea.. icon_rolleyes.gif

Edna icon_biggrin.gif

juleebug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
juleebug Posted 26 Mar 2009 , 2:15pm
post #20 of 31

She's obviously very talented - can you imagine what she could do with PROPER tools?

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 26 Mar 2009 , 2:20pm
post #21 of 31

Jokingly - It's a Sham-Wow Cake. Soaks up 20 times it's weight in liquid.

Seriously - This lady is from Bulgaria. There are people there who are happy when they can afford meat. What do they care about cake deco tools? As long as the job gets done, hey, multi-task away, my Eastern European friend.

Can't help it. Her kitchen reminds me of my grandmother's. And she used to use whatever she had handy, too.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

sadsmile Posted 26 Mar 2009 , 2:32pm
post #22 of 31

the 101 uses for a rose tip! Imagine what she could do if she had real tools! I like the ruffle edge she made. That is something I may play with later.

littlecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlecake Posted 26 Mar 2009 , 2:38pm
post #23 of 31

i love this woman...she is the McGiver (sp) of cakes...amazing

SeriousCakes Posted 26 Mar 2009 , 2:49pm
post #24 of 31

I loved her Snow White cake, I wonder what she used to fill it in? It was so shiny!
lol-I like that, the MacGyver (hehe, had to look up the spelling) of caking!
My grandmother's kitchen was also like this, her's was the tiniest travel trailer that was attached to the rest of the house. But oh man, the tasty goodies she produced in there, oooooo she was good!!

tonedna Posted 26 Mar 2009 , 2:51pm
post #25 of 31

Yeah... I was wondering what she used too..O think it might be melted buttercream
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

SeriousCakes Posted 26 Mar 2009 , 3:27pm
post #26 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakes22

Serious_cakes: I love your youtube videos. I have learned a LOT from you! Your cakes are amazing..... icon_biggrin.gif

Thank you!! icon_biggrin.gif

EnjoyTheCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
EnjoyTheCake Posted 26 Mar 2009 , 4:21pm
post #27 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by CindyD333

I don't understand why she added more oil (or whatever that was...) as the icing (?) looked like syrup already.

It looked like she was making a ganache. The oil was used to keep the chocolate from hardening. That is my best guess. I could be wrong.

sadsmile Posted 26 Mar 2009 , 4:48pm
post #28 of 31

Yeah the thinned out choc she used to pipe on a seriously deco design! It started out looking like weird christmas trees and the end result was great! I love how it melted in and self leveled with the ganache. I still would pass on that soggy cake though. Something not quite right about soggy cake and buttercream. But the finish looked Amazing and level and really round and that cake was not level or very round to start with. She is talented!

majka_ze Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
majka_ze Posted 26 Mar 2009 , 7:24pm
post #29 of 31

I have to add my 2 cents. Most of it wasn't surprising - even the kitchen wasn't. I cannot post a picture of my kitchen. One 80 year old cabinet (still good with "new" look of almost 7 years), one 40 year old cabinet needed as MW stand, which is recent addition (the kitchen WILL be renovated soon). I do have newer appliances. OK, the stove is older than me, oven not working, but I have convection/grill MW only 4 year old icon_smile.gif
But some of it surprised even me.
The piping bags are from gift wrap paper, even the printed side inside! I would take the white one, but the printed is coated better icon_smile.gif
The turntable is a lower version of my one - I have lazy susan and the bowl comes on top of it, I need the height only.
My problem is not money, not the ordering process from overseas but my tiny, tiny kitchen. Even after the renovation it still will be 5 1/2 linear feet for my sink and stove and another 6 1/2 linear feet for the fridge and all the rest. Even cabinet space is premium!

Back to the videos:
From the comments on some videos, she decorates with whipped cream mostly. The piping in all videos was either whipped cream or chocolate. The bow was white chocolate.
The ganache isn't ganache but thinned out chocolate - you add oil to make it smoother and shinier. You would pour it over well chilled crumbcoated cake.

Who wants a recipe for Czech "rum cake"? It is different from what she did, because she gave a layer of cream in it.
The Czech rum cake is 3 layer sponge cake (eggs, flour, sugar only, 1 layer colored with cocoa). The syrup is then simple syrup cooked with apricot jam, cooled and mixed with fresh lemon and orange juice and rum, of course. The middle layer is dripping wet - you actually drop it in the syrup and take it out again. You have to let the cake rest and set overnight at least. It is very moist but not soggy cake - the wet layer works as filling. If you come to Czech republic, you can buy it here even in supermarket bakery. Or you can come and I bake it for you icon_smile.gif

littlecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlecake Posted 26 Mar 2009 , 11:19pm
post #30 of 31

I wish I could send her some stuff to work with....

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%