Pearlized Scrolls On Wedding Cake??

Decorating By Shelly4481 Updated 26 Mar 2009 , 11:44pm by amysue99

Shelly4481 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shelly4481 Posted 26 Mar 2009 , 2:08am
post #1 of 8

I have a bride that wants light (barely pink) scrolls on the sides of the cake but wants then to look pearl like. Has anyone put the pearl dust in the frosting and just piped it on, or am I going to have to paint each scroll with the pearl dust? Any help is appreciated.

7 replies
stephaniescakenj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stephaniescakenj Posted 26 Mar 2009 , 2:54am
post #2 of 8

I've heard some people mention that thanhthanh puts luster dust in her buttercream to make it shiny. it can't hurt to try and if it doesn't work then you can just start painting it.

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 26 Mar 2009 , 3:52pm
post #3 of 8

You could also airbrush them is you have an airbrush.

faial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
faial Posted 26 Mar 2009 , 4:13pm
post #4 of 8

Hi tiggy2
if you airbrush the scrolls.......how do you keep from going on the rest of the cake?

JenniferMI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferMI Posted 26 Mar 2009 , 7:33pm
post #5 of 8

I would pipe the scrolls, then mix up some luster dust with vodka and paint them.

Jen icon_smile.gif

idgalpal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
idgalpal Posted 26 Mar 2009 , 10:22pm
post #6 of 8

JenniferM1 - How do you keep the luster dust and vodka mix from getting clumpy? I've tried this a couple times and it doesn't work for me. I have a wedding cake in June and the bride wants a diamond pattern on one tier with the alternate diamonds luster dusted. I was wonder how to do it so it looks even and not blotchy.

JenniferMI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferMI Posted 26 Mar 2009 , 11:35pm
post #7 of 8

I've never had it get clumpy..... I just mix a little vodka and dust so it's a consistency of maple syrup. You do have to keep adding the liquid because it will evaporate quickly. Maybe you didn't have enough liquid? That would be my guess.

Jen icon_smile.gif

amysue99 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amysue99 Posted 26 Mar 2009 , 11:44pm
post #8 of 8

Why not use piping gel? If you add a little color, some powdered sugar to thicken and luster dust, you will end up with a colored gel that is sparkly, but opaque.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%