New Cake Tv Show Casting For Un-Discovered Talent!

Decorating By Heath Updated 6 Dec 2009 , 2:59pm by Love2BakeCakes

CakesUnleashed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesUnleashed Posted 18 May 2009 , 5:55pm
post #361 of 454
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacsMom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitagrl

Mac I'm concerned that if I did outrageous practice cakes, everybody would like them but nobody would want to pay for them...???

Cakes like that are what, $8-$12/serving?

Trust me, they'll pay. And then when friend has a cake like that at a party another friend is going to want one, etc. Duff wouldn't be in business if no one could afford them.

Duff @ Charm City Cakes requires a minimum of $1000 on all of their cakes. Wouldn't that be nice?!??!?!?

noosie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
noosie Posted 18 May 2009 , 6:09pm
post #362 of 454

That's so funny!! I can't even get $4/serving for a fondant covered wedding cake right here in New York. I guess because I don't have a "name" yet my cakes are not considered worthy....

Ahhhh, se la vie!!

=o)

MacsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MacsMom Posted 18 May 2009 , 6:27pm
post #363 of 454
Quote:
Originally Posted by noosie

That's so funny!! I can't even get $4/serving for a fondant covered wedding cake right here in New York. I guess because I don't have a "name" yet my cakes are not considered worthy....

Ahhhh, se la vie!!

=o)

Start charging $6 per serving and people will make a name for you, "She must be in high-demand - I HAVE to get one!" lol.

In the CA central valley, fondant covered cakes start at $6 per serving.

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 18 May 2009 , 6:35pm
post #364 of 454

ah, hayell! I haven't gotten an email....I reckon they'll keep me in mind for season 4 or 5(unless there's a new crop of cake geniuses to consider then it'll be season 10...20...50...)

noosie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
noosie Posted 18 May 2009 , 6:35pm
post #365 of 454

I wish it were that easy Macsmom. I have lost 3 cake orders in the last month simply from quoting them a price. I just don't want my efforts to be for nothing. I guess I'd rather lose cake orders than be the "bargain" cake lady.

Back to the topic of this post. Does anyone know if only big name cakers were cast for the pilot? I realize this is tv and all, but I am sure there are plenty of undiscovered, just as amazing and talented decorators out there that deserve a shot. Frankly, I would love to see some new blood. I love the decorators showcased time and again on the FN Challenges but curious to see who else is out there too.

MacsMom Posted 18 May 2009 , 7:21pm
post #366 of 454
Quote:
Originally Posted by noosie

I wish it were that easy Macsmom. I have lost 3 cake orders in the last month simply from quoting them a price. I just don't want my efforts to be for nothing. I guess I'd rather lose cake orders than be the "bargain" cake lady.

Back to the topic of this post. Does anyone know if only big name cakers were cast for the pilot? I realize this is tv and all, but I am sure there are plenty of undiscovered, just as amazing and talented decorators out there that deserve a shot. Frankly, I would love to see some new blood. I love the decorators showcased time and again on the FN Challenges but curious to see who else is out there too.

My thought was that the reason for CC being involved to help seek out those of us who are just as good--if not better--than the big names we see hear about.

They were trying to find undiscovered "elite" talent, from what I gather, and CC certainly is a great place to start!

But they weren't looking exclusively for the undiscovered artists.

Quote from page 1:
Whether you own a major bakery or
work out of your basement, if you
have the creativity and skills
to win
we want to meet you!

When you are creating a new TV show you want to be sure you are reaching your goal and target audience: their goal being "extreme cakes", they had to be positive they were recruiting people whom they were confident could meet that challenge.

They want the wildest cakes out there - Courtney Clark, the Cake Girls, Bronwen Weber... of course they can pull it off!! Of course they will be asked to be on the show.

And perhaps one of us can prove through photos and a 10 minute video that we are also right for the challenge. Someone like mamacc ??

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 18 May 2009 , 7:24pm
post #367 of 454

Yeah one of my problems is that the cake I showed on my video was just a small one for a customer, as I did not have time and materials to come up with something crazy, just for the remote chance I'd get on tv.

Maybe for season 2....

AbouttheCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AbouttheCake Posted 18 May 2009 , 10:08pm
post #368 of 454

Well, I heard that the cakes have to be 6 feet tall, 60% styro and they get 3 assistants and they have to use at least 3 of the 6 dictated extreme features (spin, move, shoot fire, etc). Word spreads quick, lol. This may not be for all of them but rumor has it it is for the first one. But the cool thing is that each theme is for a real party. The winning cake supposedly gets delivered to some major event after the challenge.

Sounds like fun in my opinion though! LOL Now THAT'S a challenge.

madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 20 May 2009 , 4:36am
post #369 of 454

Listen....I watch a show that shall be nameless all the time and if they charge a grand a cake minimum you girls should all raise your prices...so many in CC are better than that..........the one I saw in here someone paid 2 grand for, and it was terrible.......phew....I see some works of art in here and would love to see them make it big on tv......go for it, you all know if you are good....................if you are amazing you know it.....go for it.......most of you blow me away with your works of art. I wish all of you good luck.

AbouttheCake Posted 29 May 2009 , 10:01pm
post #370 of 454

Spoke to Kelly and she said that all casting is basically finished for this season. The producers made the call on the final choices. I didn't get in, nor did several people I know.

Guess they decided to stack it with people previously seen on Food Network for at least the first season. Sounded like they were shooting for solid ratings before introducing 'new blood'.

Good luck to everyone for upcoming seasons.

mamacc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamacc Posted 2 Jun 2009 , 6:24pm
post #371 of 454

I still haven't heard back anything from Frank...unless I just missed the e mail. I'm wondering if he even got my video and application...

shelly-101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shelly-101 Posted 2 Jun 2009 , 6:33pm
post #372 of 454

maybe that's a good sign mamacc. i will keep my fingers crossed for you.

MacsMom Posted 2 Jun 2009 , 7:05pm
post #373 of 454
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamacc

I still haven't heard back anything from Frank...unless I just missed the e mail. I'm wondering if he even got my video and application...

You should call him!! No way they would've let you slip under the rug.

mamacc Posted 2 Jun 2009 , 7:20pm
post #374 of 454

Thanks!!! That's nice of you to sayicon_smile.gif You either!! I just e mailed him actually....and sent a pic of my latest dragon cake, so we'll see. Season 2 would be nice.

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 2 Jun 2009 , 7:57pm
post #375 of 454

You only send one pic mamacc??????...You have so many good cakes!!!!!!!!!...You should have sent a bunches!
Edna icon_smile.gif

mamacc Posted 2 Jun 2009 , 10:09pm
post #376 of 454

Thanks Edna!! I already sent him a dvd with the video and pics, just haven't heard back yet....so I emailed him today to ask what was up.

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 12:41am
post #377 of 454

Well.. I am pretty sure that he had lots of people to pick, but your work is outstanding. So dont let the fact he hasn't called let you down. God know how many people applied.
Edna icon_smile.gif

MacsMom Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 1:48am
post #378 of 454

Does anyone have any more info?
I would love to purchase a ticket to watch the taping if they are using that format... I wanted to ask Frank if he knew, but I lost his e-mail (anyone mind PM'ing it to me?).

chefaddie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chefaddie Posted 10 Jun 2009 , 8:00pm
post #379 of 454

I'm just finding out about this. So i guess I missed the boat.
At the very least, are there tickets? Were is it to be filmed?

MacsMom Posted 10 Jun 2009 , 11:36pm
post #380 of 454

I thought it was being filmed in San Francisco...

AbouttheCake Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 9:04pm
post #381 of 454

It's being filmed in Los Angeles. I didn't get the call to be a lead but did get a call to be an assistant on one of the episodes.

From what I understand, they have no audience for these. It's closed set filming...which is a big bummer because an audience is fun to be in front of!

Competitors are dropping out like flies so other people are getting calls now. So even if you didn't get a call, if more people drop out, you just might!! Who knows??????

littlejewel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlejewel Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 12:55pm
post #382 of 454

I'm a beginer so i wont be trying, but I would love to see some CCers make the show. How cool would that be. Good luck to all

mazz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mazz Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 3:23am
post #383 of 454

Sorry but 26 pages is too much to read in a night - Can someone recap this for me:

Who from CC was picked?
When will it air?
What channel?
What is it called?

Thanks.

mazz Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 3:24am
post #384 of 454

Sorry but 26 pages is too much to read in a night - Can someone recap this for me:

Who from CC was picked?
When will it air?
What channel?
What is it called?

Thanks.

mazz Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 3:25am
post #385 of 454

Who from CC was picked?
When will it air?
What channel?
What is it called?

Thanks.

mazz Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 3:26am
post #386 of 454

Who from CC was picked?
When will it air?
What channel?
What is it called?

Thanks.

MacsMom Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 4:45am
post #387 of 454
Quote:
Originally Posted by mazz

Who from CC was picked?
When will it air?
What channel?
What is it called?

Thanks.

I don't if anyone from CC was chosen, but apparantly Courtney Clark is competing which gives you an idea of the caliber. I'm fairly certain it's on TLC, but not 100%. No idea when it will be aired.

MacsMom Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 4:46am
post #388 of 454
Quote:

Who from CC was picked?
When will it air?
What channel?
What is it called?

Thanks.

I don't if anyone from CC was chosen, but apparantly Courtney Clark is competing which gives you an idea of the caliber. I'm fairly certain it's on TLC, but not 100%. No idea when it will be aired.

MacsMom Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 4:47am
post #389 of 454
Quote:

Who from CC was picked?
When will it air?
What channel?
What is it called?

Thanks.

MacsMom Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 4:48am
post #390 of 454
Quote:

Who from CC was picked?
When will it air?
What channel?
What is it called?

Thanks.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%