The Incredible Shrinking Serving Size

Decorating By momsandraven Updated 21 Aug 2005 , 9:47pm by cakegal

momsandraven Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momsandraven Posted 18 Aug 2005 , 5:51pm
post #1 of 7

Wow, what a difference a few years can make! I have been trying to figure out what sizes cakes to make for a baby shower. I'm told it needs to feed 90 people. (Huge shower!!) According to the 2001 Wilton yearbook, a 14" round, 2 layer (2" pans) cake would be approx. 40 servings. Just to confirm the numbers this morning, I pulled out my 2006 yearbook, and the same cake is now listed at 63 servings!! icon_confused.gif What the heck???!

I was planning on doing a 14" round, w/stacked 12"round, then short colums up to 8"round, with a small oval (w/ 1/4 of an egg pan on it) as a bassinet on top of that. According to 2001, this makes about 92 servings. It does seem like a lot of cake though. According to 2006, this cake would serve 131. <sigh> Any suggestions?? I need to go shopping for supplies this afternoon.

TIA!
Beth

6 replies
loree001 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loree001 Posted 18 Aug 2005 , 5:53pm
post #2 of 7

I suggest doing as you planned and charge accordingly. If they have left over cake, they'll eat it later, but better too much than not enough icon_redface.gif !

Mchelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mchelle Posted 19 Aug 2005 , 12:54pm
post #3 of 7

I noticed before in the Wilton book that it was different. When I look at the decorated cake, it says one serving, but when you look in the back at the different options it give another number, which is higher than the first. I used that one in the back and it worked out fine.

Try and use earlene's serving chart, I think that one is true servings.

momsandraven Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momsandraven Posted 21 Aug 2005 , 2:12am
post #4 of 7

Well, I just went with my original plan for cake sizes. I figured they can save the 8" layer and 'bassinet' cake to enjoy after baby is home. This cake is HUGE. And it weighs a ton! It was great fun to do though. IMHO, definitely more than 100 servings. (I posted the pic if you want to see it) I think I'll print out Earlene's serving size suggestions for next time!!

gma1956 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gma1956 Posted 21 Aug 2005 , 2:32am
post #5 of 7

Something just struck me, while I was reading over this forum. I think the reason the cake servings shrunk is because people are eating alot more. Look at the size of people now days. Have you ever noticed how much food you are brought when you go to a restraunt. The serving charts have to go with the flow... icon_lol.gif

sunlover00 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sunlover00 Posted 21 Aug 2005 , 2:41am
post #6 of 7

I wonder....were the serving "sizes" the same? Maybe one book was 2" slices and one was 1" slices.

Just a thought.

cakegal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegal Posted 21 Aug 2005 , 9:47pm
post #7 of 7

I noticed they say there's a difference between a wedding cake slice and a birthday slice...you get more servings out of a wedding cake sliced because the slices are smaller....it's in the yearbook..
this is very interesting...
cakegal

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%