Filling Cakes With Thick Fillings

Decorating By MariaLovesCakes Updated 27 Mar 2009 , 2:38am by PinkZiab

MariaLovesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MariaLovesCakes Posted 25 Mar 2009 , 5:38pm
post #1 of 8

Hello, everyone.

I was thinking about the proper way to fill a cake using mouse type filling or any type of filling that you are able to fill like up to an inch or more inside the cake.

I have seen cakes that have a filling almost as thick in width as the cake layer itself.

How can you do without any filling spilling out? I am thinking that you may need a big tip and maybe stack a double icing dam on it, right?

Any ideas and pics if you have will greatly help.

Thanks.

7 replies
Ballymena Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ballymena Posted 25 Mar 2009 , 7:03pm
post #2 of 8

I prepare my mousse in the same sized pan as the cake, make sure you line the bottom with parchment. The mousse I use sets up enough so the layer of cake on top doesn't squish it down, also the cakes I use for this method are light, not pound cakes.
To get the mousse on the cake without a mess I set my bottom cake layer into the pan on top of the mousse. Place your cake plate on top of that and flip the whole thing over. The mousse will unmold and be on your bottom layer in one step. Pull off the parchment and add your top layer.
Have fun decorating.

MariaLovesCakes Posted 25 Mar 2009 , 8:30pm
post #3 of 8

Great! Thanks for the advice. So you don't do a dam around the edges of the cake? The mousse stays put and doesn't spill out?

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 25 Mar 2009 , 9:23pm
post #4 of 8

Maria -- Thanks for starting this thread. I have been wondering the very same thing.

And Bally -- thanks the for the tip. So do you chill the mousse in the pan for a while?

Thanks again!

Ballymena Posted 26 Mar 2009 , 4:26pm
post #5 of 8

Make sure your mousse is the very stiff type and you have made it before so you know that for sure. Some of them are very soft and won't hold up. The packaged ones, I buy Dr. Oetker ones, work very well.

Ballymena Posted 26 Mar 2009 , 4:27pm
post #6 of 8

Yes, make sure it has been chilled before you try this.

MariaLovesCakes Posted 26 Mar 2009 , 11:14pm
post #7 of 8

Thank you so much for your reply!

PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 27 Mar 2009 , 2:38am
post #8 of 8

When I want a nice thick layer of mousse, or other soft filling, I build the cake in a cake ring then refrigerate it until the mousse sets up. Then unmold and frost/decorate as normal.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%