How To Make Fondant Shiney?

Decorating By isabellesmommy Updated 26 Mar 2009 , 2:52am by timhenk

isabellesmommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
isabellesmommy Posted 25 Mar 2009 , 12:54pm
post #1 of 20

Not really sparkly but shiney like leather or patent shoes or something. Any suggestions?

19 replies
pouchet82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pouchet82 Posted 25 Mar 2009 , 1:12pm
post #2 of 20

I don't know but I was wondering the same thing!
Welcome to CC!

Niliquely Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Niliquely Posted 25 Mar 2009 , 1:52pm
post #3 of 20

Oo Oo, I know this one!! *Raising hand and getting excited* I read it in a book and tried it so I know it works - beat and egg white and mix it with a TBSP of water so it is a little thinner. Paint the egg white over your fondant. It will stay shiny even after it dries!

pouchet82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pouchet82 Posted 25 Mar 2009 , 2:04pm
post #4 of 20

Thanks!!!

Niliquely Posted 25 Mar 2009 , 2:09pm
post #5 of 20

Sorry about the excitement...it always seems like someone knows the answer before me or I have no clue! There are so many cake-divas on this site, it is rare that a little cake-peon like me gets to answer one correctly.
isabellesmommy - Welcome to Cake Central - it is super addicting and fun!

tx_cupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tx_cupcake Posted 25 Mar 2009 , 2:15pm
post #6 of 20

I've never used this, but I've seen it around the threads and it seems to be popular:
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-7292-77-Edible-Varnish.html

Niliquely, the only thing I would worry about with the egg white wash is whether it is safe for consumption. Please don't think I'm trying to rain on your parade. I'm just terrified of raw eggs! icon_lol.gif

Edited to add: "cake-peon" = icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 25 Mar 2009 , 2:16pm
post #7 of 20

Niliquely -- I've never heard of that one! So that's great. The only thing I have heard (which I don't really like) but is to paint crisco all over the cake. To me, the egg whites/water sounds more appealing because it will dry. The crisco does dry up some. But it doesn't leave an even finish (at least not for me). But then I'm just an amateur. =o)

Mandeepthemom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mandeepthemom Posted 25 Mar 2009 , 2:21pm
post #8 of 20

i was on a forum yesterday about shoe making...she said she used diluted piping gel to get her gumpaste shoes shiny...im no sure what she dilutes it with but i;ll ask

xinue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xinue Posted 25 Mar 2009 , 2:33pm
post #9 of 20

airbrush it with water, just a little, it works! look a the mask of my phantom of the opera cake. the downside is that it doesn't last forever, just like a day or so until it dryes again. I thing it's safer than the egg whites, but if you want to use them make sure you pasteurize them

Niliquely Posted 25 Mar 2009 , 2:43pm
post #10 of 20

I guess if you are scared about raw eggs, you could use the "Just Whites" product which is pastuerized. ???

MacsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MacsMom Posted 25 Mar 2009 , 2:45pm
post #11 of 20

The very best way is to dilute piping gel with vodka. The gel keeps it shiny while the vodka dries it so it isn't sticky. (The alcohol evaporates, so don't worry about kids getting sick).

It's also easy to clean and doesn't smell like varnish (like confectioner's glaze does, which requires special cleaning agents to remove if you drip it on your counter). I wish I had stumbled across that idea before I wasted money on the glaze icon_rolleyes.gif

Water alone will evaporate and take the shine away with it, and grease eventually soaks into the fondant leaving no shine behind.

Spills Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Spills Posted 25 Mar 2009 , 2:49pm
post #12 of 20

MacsMom - that sounds really good to me...amazing how I was just wondering this exact question last night while planning on how to make the whiskey in a cake cup shine (fondant); and I was thinking of piping gel, so at least I know now to dilute it... What would I do without this site... icon_eek.gif

pieceacake830 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pieceacake830 Posted 25 Mar 2009 , 6:47pm
post #13 of 20

I airbrush the fondant with water. It dries quickly, leaving a nice sheen. The sheen lasts for a few days too! If you have a small area to do, you could use a brush with water on it.. This is the easiest way I have found to work so well...

Kerry_Kake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kerry_Kake Posted 25 Mar 2009 , 6:56pm
post #14 of 20

Geee, my answer would have been luster dust. It gives the sheen and not the sparkle. *shrugging shoulders as I'm not 100% on this*

cakesthatrock Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesthatrock Posted 25 Mar 2009 , 7:20pm
post #15 of 20

I done this to the last cake I made my mistake. I put a small amount of crisco on my hands to smooth the fondant and this made the cake really shiny. I have seen a man on The Food Network Channel use a steam machine on his cake. I am guessing and do not know the true reason why but I think he done this to apply decorations to the cake. Water has always made my fondant sticky.

Mothersuperior Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mothersuperior Posted 25 Mar 2009 , 7:34pm
post #16 of 20

You may airbrush or hand brush your cake with clear vanilla, stays shinny and smells great icon_smile.gif (see purple cake with bow and pumpkin). Good luck.

Bakerintraining03 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bakerintraining03 Posted 25 Mar 2009 , 7:46pm
post #17 of 20

Another way to give fondant a great shine is to use butter or a butter spray. You can use a pan brush or a paint brush to put it on. it doesnt smell as nice as the clear vanilla but it is less costly.

isabellesmommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
isabellesmommy Posted 25 Mar 2009 , 8:11pm
post #18 of 20

Thanks for the ideas and warm welcome! I will try some of them out and see how it goes!

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 25 Mar 2009 , 8:18pm
post #19 of 20

Use a mixture of 50/50 light corn syrup and either vodka or pure lemon extract........paint on with a sponge brush or paint brush. It dries to the touch in a matter of minutes and really has a nice shine.

timhenk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
timhenk Posted 26 Mar 2009 , 2:52am
post #20 of 20

A quick shot of steam works great on gum paste and keeps it shiny. I always steam my flowers. I just hold them over a steaming teapot for 1-2 seconds, then let them dry for about an hour. works like a charm!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%