How Do I Make Fondant Buttons?

Decorating By Shauntai Updated 25 Mar 2009 , 12:30am by sweetcakes

Shauntai Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shauntai Posted 24 Mar 2009 , 7:31pm
post #1 of 6

I have a cake in mind that I would like to do for a baby shower. I got this great idea from a picture on here. I would really like to incorporate the buttons that i've seen onto the cake. Please help if you have any idea how to make these cute little fondant buttons all suggestions are welcome.

5 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 24 Mar 2009 , 8:45pm
post #2 of 6

Roll out fondant &/or gp and cut with the wide end of a tip. Poke holes in the center. For that 'dip' use something smaller than the cutout that is round and flat and just press it on the fondant to indent it. Hope you can understand that.

rockysmommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rockysmommy Posted 24 Mar 2009 , 8:53pm
post #3 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by kakeladi

Roll out fondant &/or gp and cut with the wide end of a tip. Poke holes in the center. For that 'dip' use something smaller than the cutout that is round and flat and just press it on the fondant to indent it. Hope you can understand that.

Thanks...I had wondered about how to make buttons as well. thumbs_up.gif

bisbqueenb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bisbqueenb Posted 24 Mar 2009 , 9:11pm
post #4 of 6

You could also use from gumpaste or fondant to make a mold of the original button....especially if it has a pretty pattern. Just mold the fondont/gumpaste onto the original button....let it set up...remove button...let 'mold' harden a day or more and use it to make lots of buttons!

BitsnBites Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BitsnBites Posted 24 Mar 2009 , 9:29pm
post #5 of 6

Wow bisbqueenb! It never occurred to me to make a mold out of gumpaste. I'm going to take that idea and run with it,

sweetcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcakes Posted 25 Mar 2009 , 12:30am
post #6 of 6

just as kakeladi says, and you can also cover your fondant with a piece of plastic wrap then cut with a tip and it will round off the edges.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%