My First Wedding Cake Need Help!

Decorating By mommy2kids Updated 25 Mar 2009 , 2:53am by mommabeaver25

mommy2kids Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommy2kids Posted 24 Mar 2009 , 1:16am
post #1 of 9

Hey everyone I am attempting to make my first wedding cake in a couple of weeks, and I need some help. First the wedding cake is for 150 people how many tiers do I need, I already have 6,8,10,12 pans, Do I need to purchase a 14 as well. Also, do wedding cakes all have 3 layers to each tier and 2 fillings? How do I know how much cake mixture goes into each layer in the pan to make the cakes all pretty much the same sizes, does anyone know? Last but not least, I have only stacked a couple of cakes, and they always seem to sink. I tried the dowel method recently and I had a hard time cutting them, and the dowels werent straight, and the cake was a wobblin' all over the place. Any suggestions for me? I am also making mini desserts, and I need a lot of help with ideas, I am only one person, and I am in the wedding, my sis is getting married, and I need to do a lot of prep work, does anyone know how well cakes and desserts will freeze? Any help is appreciated and welcomed! Thanks

8 replies
kiwigirly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kiwigirly Posted 24 Mar 2009 , 2:39am
post #2 of 9

I have only made two wedding cakes but have used the Wilton serving chart for both and there was heaps of cake! Maybe you could make a cake with 6,8,10 and 12 inch tiers and then have an 8 or 10inch on the side or out the back to make up the servings.

It all depends on the recipe as to how much to put in the tin. Most recipes say 2/3 fill the tin but I know with my Chocolate Mud Cake recipe I just about have to fill it for it to get to the 2inches.

It's up to you how many layers to have in each tier, I only put two (2 x inch high cakes) but you can layer them thinner (if you are brave enough).

I have used the dowel method and it worked fine but then my choc mud cakes are heavy and tend to stay where they are put.

Can't help with desserts sorry.

Good luck, you are going to be very busy.

xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 24 Mar 2009 , 3:17am
post #3 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommy2kids

Hey everyone I am attempting to make my first wedding cake in a couple of weeks, and I need some help. First the wedding cake is for 150 people how many tiers do I need, I already have 6,8,10,12 pans, Do I need to purchase a 14 as well. Also, do wedding cakes all have 3 layers to each tier and 2 fillings? How do I know how much cake mixture goes into each layer in the pan to make the cakes all pretty much the same sizes, does anyone know? Last but not least, I have only stacked a couple of cakes, and they always seem to sink. I tried the dowel method recently and I had a hard time cutting them, and the dowels werent straight, and the cake was a wobblin' all over the place. Any suggestions for me? I am also making mini desserts, and I need a lot of help with ideas, I am only one person, and I am in the wedding, my sis is getting married, and I need to do a lot of prep work, does anyone know how well cakes and desserts will freeze? Any help is appreciated and welcomed! Thanks

Let me start by saying that I have not made wedding cakes and I have only baked for my kids b-day's so far (aside from Wilton classes) but I'll try to help the best I can until one of our experts comes along:

1) First the wedding cake is for 150 people how many tiers do I need, I already have 6,8,10,12 pans, Do I need to purchase a 14 as well.

Here's a link that will help you with the # of servings and cups of batter you will need:
http://cakecentral.com/article14-Cake-Baking-Cutting--Serving-Guide---2-in-Deep-Pans.html

I usually fill my pans 2/3 full but for some of my cakes I do go as high as 3/4 full. - what you can do if you don't follow the amount of batter by the link above is measure cups of water into each of your pans to the desired amount and then mark it down somewhere

2) Also, do wedding cakes all have 3 layers to each tier and 2 fillings? How do I know how much cake mixture goes into each layer in the pan to make the cakes all pretty much the same sizes, does anyone know?

Most cakes (including wedding cakes) are usually 4" high for each tier. It's up to you if you would like to torte your cakes or not. I only put fillings between each 2 inch cake after leveling to an even height. The other option is to torte each 2" cake into approx 1" each, so that you will have 4, 1" cakes. You would then put fillings between each layer.

As for making sure the cakes are the same height. You will do this when you level/torte your cake. You can use a leveler or a knife to level/torte your cakes each to the same height.

3) Last but not least, I have only stacked a couple of cakes, and they always seem to sink. I tried the dowel method recently and I had a hard time cutting them, and the dowels werent straight, and the cake was a wobblin' all over the place.

First question is was the cake undercooked. If not the next would be, did you let the cakes settle after filling them? Cakes do tend to settle so you want to give them time to settle so that you can correct any problems before you stack the cake. I use a level to make sure each of my layers are level before I stack. Instead of dowels try to get some bubba tea straws or better yet the SPS system. If your dowels were not straight then I can see that wobblin' happening.

4) Yes you can freeze cake, do this before you ice it though. Wrap well in saran wrap and then heavy duty foil paper to prevent other smells getting into it from the freezer. Defrost in the fridge to help with condensation issues.

Like I said before I have not done a wedding cake before so I hope someone else chimes in for you. There is however an abundance of information on here for all these questions that could help you a lot more in depth. All you need to do is be in the forums page and do a search from there (not the one on the top right). Click on the search link after your on the forums tab. Sorry I can't help with the dessert questions.

Hope that helps you a little bit.

icon_smile.gif

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 24 Mar 2009 , 3:30am
post #4 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommy2kids

You need to buy another set of those same pans, or you will be baking all night. Refer to Wilton chart for serving amounts per tier. Bake in two pans for each tier.

I sort of eyeball and guesstimate how much I need, but fill each pan the same height as the rest. The Wilton chart is close.

Since this is a wedding cake, for sure you cannot afford to have ay mistakes and have a crying bride! If you are already unsure of your stacking, bite the bullet and buy some SPS supports. No dowels, no measuring, no hacking little pieces of wood. Refer to Leahs sticky in the How To forum for info on SPS.

As for desserts...I can't help there. You are doing this yourself, you are the bride's sister, and in the wedding. Who talked you into this mess?? icon_eek.gif Good luck! icon_smile.gif

juleebug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
juleebug Posted 24 Mar 2009 , 3:31am
post #5 of 9

Here's a thread on this same topic. On the first page, post # 4 JanH listed links to about 20 - 30 threads with answers to just about everything you'd ever want to know about wedding cakes.

HTH.

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 24 Mar 2009 , 4:25am
post #6 of 9

Thanks for the great intro, juleebug. icon_smile.gif

Here's the Everything you need to know to bake, assemble and decorate tiered/stacked/layer cakes thread:

http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-605188-.html

The above thread has popular CC recipes for: doctored cake mix (WASC and variations), crusting American b/c's using either Crisco or hi-ratio shortening and fondant.

The WASC cake recipe using two DH white cakes mixes yields a tad over 14 cups of batter so it's great for making multiple layers or large layers.

A tiered/stacked cake with 8" (24 servings), 12" (56 servings) and 16" (100 servings) layers will yield 156 wedding size servings. (You can make a separate, fresh anniversary cake for the bride & groom next year!)

HTH

JaimeAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JaimeAnn Posted 24 Mar 2009 , 8:36am
post #7 of 9

Tonedna has some really helpfull videos on youtube for stacking tiered cakes.

Here is the link

http://www.youtube.com/user/tonedna1?blend=2&ob=1

mommy2kids Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommy2kids Posted 25 Mar 2009 , 2:36am
post #8 of 9

Thank you everyone for your great advice I am going to look into the SPS system, though I hear it is pricey. Also, thanks for the tip with the settling and all the usefull sites, I look foward to reading through them. Thanks again!

mommabeaver25 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommabeaver25 Posted 25 Mar 2009 , 2:53am
post #9 of 9

I'm doing my first wedding cake in Sept. I'm glad you asked cause I had the same questions!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%