Lemon & Orange Wedding Cake

Decorating By terri76 Updated 24 Apr 2009 , 4:01am by ejwillen

terri76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
terri76 Posted 24 Mar 2009 , 12:19am
post #1 of 19

I've been asked to do a wedding cake, 4 tiers, 2 lemon and 2 orange. I've always just done white wedding cakes with buttercream icing. How do I go about doing this one? Since the cake will be lemon and orange flavor, what do I use as the filling between the layers? They want buttercream icing on the cake, not my choice of flavor combos, but that's what they want to go with. So what would I need to fill between the layers with, lemon and orange or buttercream icing? And...if the lemon and orange, what would I use? I'm stumped on this one. HELP!!!!!!! icon_cry.gificon_confused.gif

Thanks for the help!!

18 replies
prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 24 Mar 2009 , 12:49am
post #2 of 19

You could make lemon curd and orange curd and fill the cakes with those.

terri76 Posted 24 Mar 2009 , 1:18pm
post #3 of 19

Thank you! Ok...does that come in the "sleeves"? Do I run a dam of buttercream around the edge of the cake to keep it from running out or is it thicker to where it doesn't run that bad?

Sorry for all the questions...I've always just filled with buttercream...noone has ever wanted anything besides just plain bc.

Thanks for all the help!!

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 24 Mar 2009 , 3:11pm
post #4 of 19

you could just make lemon and ornge bc and fill with that. or lemon (not tried ornge, but i guess it would be the same) is still nice with vanilla too.
apparently curds are quite easy to make, ive not tried. you can buy jars of lemon curd, not sure about orange - maybe marmalade would work - you can get the smooth tuff which is wht i personlly would go for.
xx

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 24 Mar 2009 , 6:53pm
post #5 of 19

I'm pretty sure you can get lemon curd in the sleeves, but not the orange. I don't use the sleeve fillings myself, I make everything from scratch. Curds are very thick, they don't run, but you will still need to make an icing dam, otherwise the weight of the layers will push the filling out beyond the edges of the cake.
Here are some recipes (from http://www.epicurious.com).

Orange Curd

1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
2 teaspoons unflavored gelatin
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 cup orange juice
9 large egg yolks
3 tablespoons grated orange peel
2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, cut into 1/2-inch cubes

Place lemon juice in small bowl or custard cup. Sprinkle gelatin over. Let stand 15 minutes.

Whisk sugar, orange juice, yolks, orange peel, and lemon peel in heavy large saucepan to blend. Add butter. Whisk over medium heat until curd thickens and bubbles begin to appear at edges, about 9 minutes. Remove from heat. Add gelatin mixture. Whisk until gelatin dissolves. Transfer curd to small bowl. Press plastic wrap onto surface of curd. Chill overnight.

Lemon Curd
2 1/3 cups sugar
2 teaspoons cornstarch
1 cup fresh lemon juice
4 large eggs
4 large egg yolks
3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, cut into 1/2-inch pieces

Make lemon curd:
Combine 2 1/3 cups sugar and 2 teaspoons cornstarch in heavy medium saucepan. Gradually whisk in fresh lemon juice. Whisk in eggs and yolks; add butter. Whisk over medium heat until curd thickens and boils, about 12 minutes. Pour into medium bowl. Refrigerate until cold, at least 5 hours. (Can be prepared 1 week ahead. Cover and keep refrigerated.)

Here is a recipe from Alton Brown (from http://www.foodtv.com).:

Lemon Curd:
5 egg yolks
1 cup sugar
4 lemons, zested and juiced
1 stick butter, cut into pats and chilled

Add enough water to a medium saucepan to come about 1-inch up the side. Bring to a simmer over medium-high heat. Meanwhile, combine egg yolks and sugar in a medium size metal bowl and whisk until smooth, about 1 minute. Measure citrus juice and if needed, add enough cold water to reach 1/3 cup. Add juice and zest to egg mixture and whisk smooth. Once water reaches a simmer, reduce heat to low and place bowl on top of saucepan. (Bowl should be large enough to fit on top of saucepan without touching the water.) Whisk until thickened, approximately 8 minutes, or until mixture is light yellow and coats the back of a spoon. Remove promptly from heat and stir in butter a piece at a time, allowing each addition to melt before adding the next. Remove to a clean container and cover by laying a layer of plastic wrap directly on the surface of the curd. Refrigerate for up to 2 weeks.

auntmamie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntmamie Posted 24 Mar 2009 , 10:25pm
post #6 of 19

Last summer, I had two lemon curd cakes to make, both with white cake and BC. The first, I filled with just the lemon curd, with a dam, and it was very tart. The second, I mixed the lemon curd into the BC, and added a little gel paste for color. It got rave reviews - so much better than the plain lemon curd filling.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 25 Mar 2009 , 12:01am
post #7 of 19

Or you could use canned pie filling; the sleeved filling but I don't think either come in orange.
I would add LorAnn's Orange candy flavoring to sleeved Bavarian Creme filling.

classiccake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
classiccake Posted 25 Mar 2009 , 2:55am
post #8 of 19

Not always, but most of the time, I think that the same flavor in the filling is less satisfying than a filling that complements the cake. I really like cream cheese filling with fruit or veggie cakes.

terri76 Posted 25 Mar 2009 , 4:13pm
post #9 of 19

Thanks for all the great ideas!!!!! Y'all have been a huge help!

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 25 Mar 2009 , 4:52pm
post #10 of 19

You should do what the customer asks for... are they expecting buttercream inside or curd type fillings? If I wasn't sure, I'd ask them.

terri76 Posted 22 Apr 2009 , 4:22pm
post #11 of 19

They didn't have a preference KoryAK, they left it up to me with the filling. I've decided to just go with the buttercream.

Thanks for all the help everybody!!

Peridot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Peridot Posted 22 Apr 2009 , 4:38pm
post #12 of 19

terri76

Can you please tell me what kind of cake you are making for the orange one?

Thanks

Rose-Lynn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rose-Lynn Posted 22 Apr 2009 , 5:06pm
post #13 of 19

I know I'm a newbie, but for Easter I made an orange cake. It was fabulous and I've got many orders for the same cake since. I used an orange cake mix with 'enhancements' and I drained and chopped a can of manderin oranges into the cake for that extra taste factor. I used Earlene's recipe for Cream Cheece Icing and put in a couple teaspoon's of her orange emulsion; you're talking about wanting to make you want to slap someone! It was really good. icon_smile.gif

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 22 Apr 2009 , 6:40pm
post #14 of 19

If you had 2 layers per tier and each layer was split(giving you 4 layers of cake), you could....cake, icing cake,curd, cake,icing, cake or cake, curd, cake, icing, cake, curd, cake....

or...a mousse-type filling....orangelemon curd mixed with bettercreme....and alternate that with the icing...

Peridot Posted 23 Apr 2009 , 2:00pm
post #15 of 19

Orange Cake Mix - who makes an orange cake mix? Where I live I am lucky they stock lemon and strawberry.

Rose-Lynn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rose-Lynn Posted 23 Apr 2009 , 2:26pm
post #16 of 19

Duncan Hines Orange Supreme cake mix; our friendly Wal-Mart carries it here in MS.

terri76 Posted 23 Apr 2009 , 2:34pm
post #17 of 19

I'm using the Orange Supreme for the orange layer BJNZ and it came from Wal Mart. I tried it before I decided to use it in this cake and it's actually pretty good.

Peridot Posted 24 Apr 2009 , 12:45am
post #18 of 19

Thanks for letting me know what kind of cake mix and where you got it. My Wal-Mart doesn't carry it but I might have a friend of mine check in a larger city.

ejwillen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ejwillen Posted 24 Apr 2009 , 4:01am
post #19 of 19

I don't know if you have ever used oils to flavor your icing, but the Champagne is delicious!!! If you are comfortable using bc I would just add an oil to flavor it. Orange cake for a wedding?? That's new to me! icon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%