Grease Stains Out Of Aprons?

Decorating By lmpedersen Updated 26 Mar 2009 , 10:16pm by idgalpal

lmpedersen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lmpedersen Posted 23 Mar 2009 , 10:43pm
post #1 of 13

Has anyone had luck getting grease stains out of their aprons? I have tried Dawn and stain stick. No luck.

12 replies
prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 24 Mar 2009 , 12:35am
post #2 of 13

You could try soaking them in a solution of 50% water 50% white vinegar, but if they are colored aprons, this might have a bleaching effect.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 24 Mar 2009 , 12:36am
post #3 of 13

Try Oxy-Clean. It gets everything out of my grandkids shirts (and does it in time before mommy picks them up from gramma's house! icon_rolleyes.gif )

JaimeAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JaimeAnn Posted 24 Mar 2009 , 12:41am
post #4 of 13

I make a paste out of automatic dishwasher detergent and vinegar. works every time for me . rub it in real good, let it set till dry, wash.

You may want to check the colorfastness on an inconspicuous area first, but I have never had a problem.

bizatchgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bizatchgirl Posted 24 Mar 2009 , 12:44am
post #5 of 13

Most times I can get grease marks out of my t-shirts by just taking liquid laundry detergent and rubbing it in really good into the spot--rubbing the fabric between my fingers to really dig the soap in. Let it sit for a few hours, then pop it in the wash.

lilscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilscakes Posted 24 Mar 2009 , 12:50am
post #6 of 13

I use hand cleaner...the gritty type used by mechanics or tradespeople. I keep a small container of it in my laundry room, rub some on the affected area, let it stand for a bit, and launder in cold water suing a cold water detergent. Works everytime. HTH. (You need to do this before the article has been laundered / dried)

lmpedersen Posted 24 Mar 2009 , 5:36am
post #7 of 13

Thank you very much! I will try these.

Lisa

mixinvixen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mixinvixen Posted 24 Mar 2009 , 12:17pm
post #8 of 13

i have found that "spray and wash" brand, in a bright green bottle, is the absolute bomb!!! i have a 5 year old little girl who spills as much as she manages to put in her mouth, and of course, working with all this butter and sugar, i'm always struggling with grease stains myself.

i heavily saturate the spots, then let it sit until actually dry..pick it back up the next day and toss it in the washer...works every time! it often gets out stains that i had originally missed, ended up being washed, going through dryer, THEN stain treated!!!!

SUELA Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SUELA Posted 24 Mar 2009 , 12:29pm
post #9 of 13

W-D40 is supposed to be good at grease stains, HOWEVER it tends to leave a residue smell. I use an oxy clean pen and dab on as well.

As a second endorsement for spray n wash, one of my students daughters spilled purple color down the front of a favorite dress....SNW got it out.

eatdessert1st Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eatdessert1st Posted 24 Mar 2009 , 12:35pm
post #10 of 13

I agree w/ the oxyclean! I use the spray for simple stains but I'll use the powdered one (a bit diluted in water) to soak the item in for an hour. It works very well!

Kayakado Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kayakado Posted 24 Mar 2009 , 9:33pm
post #11 of 13

I use the Shout stain stick, the one where you dial it at the bottom and the waxy column of stuff comes out the top. I found the liquid one doesn
t work at all. I use this to get out all the grease stains on my clothes from butter, shortening, as well as car and bicycle grease. The bike stuff is the worse, black and thick. I may have to do it twice but I swear it works everytime and even my white t-shirts come clean.

lmpedersen Posted 26 Mar 2009 , 8:51pm
post #12 of 13

Thank you everyone for your replies.

idgalpal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
idgalpal Posted 26 Mar 2009 , 10:16pm
post #13 of 13

Well here's a remedy you've probably nevert heard of : Murphy's oil soap, used to clean wood.
Someone told me about it awhile ago. I got grease on a navy blue shirt, a giant spot about the size of my hand. I rubbed about a 1/4 cup of Murphy's into the stain and washed it as usual. I couldn't believe the stain was actually gone.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%