Questions About Grooms Cakes

Decorating By mrswendel Updated 23 Mar 2009 , 11:48pm by mrswendel

mrswendel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrswendel Posted 23 Mar 2009 , 9:29pm
post #1 of 4

Hi everyone,

So I have a friend that has asked me to do her wedding cake...and a grooms cake. They don't seem to be very popular here so I am not sure what the "standard" is. I know they are typically something of interest to the groom (ie hobby, favorite sport, etc) so that isn't a problem. My question is does this cake offset the servings/size of the wedding cake? For example, they figure they are having about 200 guests so would you do a wedding cake for 150 servings and grooms cake for 50 servings? Most grooms cakes I have seen are 3D or carved cakes, which has a different pricing than a wedding cake, so I am just wondering if there is any type of standard?

Sorry if this is a dumb question icon_redface.gif ... I just want to know how to plan out such a thing. Thanks in advance!

3 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 23 Mar 2009 , 9:47pm
post #2 of 4

I let the bride tell me how she wants the servings. So far, ALL of my groom's cakes have been in addition to the regular wedding cake. So if they plan 150 guests, I'll make a 150 serving wedding cake plus a 25 serving grooms cake (or however big they want the grooms cake to be.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 23 Mar 2009 , 10:55pm
post #3 of 4

I've had brides go both ways regarding servings.....
Also many times they order an all choco so there is a choice for people who want choco vs white cake. Yes, nowadays many have choco as their wedding cake but still if that's not the cake they choose that way. Another thing.....some order a 'grooms cake' for the rehearsal dinner rather than have it at the wedding.

mrswendel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrswendel Posted 23 Mar 2009 , 11:48pm
post #4 of 4

Thanks ladies!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%