CNCS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CNCS Posted 23 Mar 2009 , 4:19pm
post #1 of 7

silicone to make molds with?

6 replies
Moofiebonbon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Moofiebonbon Posted 24 Mar 2009 , 5:05pm
post #2 of 7

Hello. I used the mold maker paint on latex and as I said in another topic, I was not too thrilled. I am planning to purchase the Silicone Plastique from
http://www.culinart.net/silicone.html
I am waiting for some guidance on how much I will need to accomplish this. Silicone Plastique is sold by the pound and I am not sure, but I think I will order 2 pounds to be on the safe side. The shipping is not too bad, I think it is $8.50 for the 2 pounds with a total cost of $52.50.
I hope this helps you!

CNCS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CNCS Posted 27 Mar 2009 , 2:45pm
post #3 of 7

You know I totally forgot about their web site. I have ordered it before the blue one. It was hard after it cured maybe that is why I didnt remember.

I see they have new stuff. Mat have to try again with them.

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 27 Mar 2009 , 2:55pm
post #4 of 7

I love culinart's silicone products. If you want a flexible mold, use the yellow silicone spread. And if you want a super-flexible, pourable silicone to cover a deep 3D item, use the orange CopyFlex.

I used the silicone spread to make the mold for my BMW. The model was 9 inches long by 5 inches wide. I used about 2 pounds of silicone and it worked perfectly.

Dizzymaiden Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dizzymaiden Posted 27 Mar 2009 , 3:04pm
post #5 of 7

I started a new thread in forum that talks about molds. I use Culinart - Silicone Plastique - it is easy to use and cures quickly. It is not cheap - but cost effective compared to buying these molds. And the big plus is you can create speciality molds. I take old skeleton keys, etc...they make cool candy!

PM if you want some more info.

Dizzy

Moofiebonbon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Moofiebonbon Posted 27 Mar 2009 , 4:11pm
post #6 of 7

Oh Shoot! I made my order and I ordered 2 lbs. of the blue Plastique. Is this going to work? Or should I have ordered the Silicone spread? My thoughts are that I will be able to make 2 halves of a bottle and rubber band them together to create a whole bottle.
Or maybe there is another recommendation????
TIA

Dizzymaiden Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dizzymaiden Posted 27 Mar 2009 , 4:32pm
post #7 of 7

I use the blue plastique - you should get two tubs. You take equal halfs of each and knead together. It is easy to use and I love it!

I have not used the spread - but you should be able to get what you want from the plastique.

What ever you do - DON'T get this stuff near paper it sticks! icon_cry.gif And we both know it is too expensive to throw out!

Good luck- if you do get the spread let me know your thoughts.

Dizzy

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%