How Do You Flavor Your Cakes?

Decorating By diporter Updated 23 Mar 2009 , 5:27pm by DeeDelightful

diporter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diporter Posted 23 Mar 2009 , 4:16pm
post #1 of 4

I am curious how you all develop new cake flavors with alcohol or other drinks, nuts, etc. How do you know how much to add that you do not destroy the balance of ingredients and it still bakes ok. I'm not sure where to start with the experimenting. My first one I'm going to try is yellow butter cake with rum in it. Also, if anyone has any recipes of unusual cake flavors or cakes with alcohol, they would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Di

3 replies
KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 23 Mar 2009 , 4:56pm
post #2 of 4

For alcohol cakes I bake just a white (usually or maybe orange for Grand Marnier, etc...) and then add the booze to the simple syrup. For other flavors I use DaVinci syrups (we have an espresso shop too so lots of options) or better yet Hero compounds. Those I just eyeball.

DeeDelightful Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeeDelightful Posted 23 Mar 2009 , 5:06pm
post #3 of 4

I would consider substituting all or a portion of the liquid in the cakes with the alcohol. You could use the alcohol as a wash on the cake or glaze/crumb coat before you ice it.

DeeDelightful Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeeDelightful Posted 23 Mar 2009 , 5:27pm
post #4 of 4

I would consider substituting all or a portion of the liquid in the cakes with the alcohol. You could use the alcohol as a wash on the cake or glaze/crumb coat before you ice it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%