Has Anyone Used A Cricut On Fondant Or Frosting Sheets?

Decorating By tripleD Updated 7 Jul 2009 , 10:27pm by KathyTW

tripleD Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tripleD Posted 23 Mar 2009 , 4:06pm
post #1 of 18

I keep looking at the scrapbooking cutter cricut. I was wondering if you put a frosting sheet on it would it cut the letters? Or a thin dried sheet of fondant. I was thinking about trying

17 replies
Molly2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Molly2 Posted 25 Mar 2009 , 1:52am
post #2 of 18

I have one but the way that machine works if you place your paper on a sticky mat and the rice paper is too thin and I think the frosting sheet would be a mess it wouldn't stick very will

Molly

summernoelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
summernoelle Posted 25 Mar 2009 , 2:09am
post #3 of 18

I would be afraid it would junk up the machine since it would leave sugar residue...

Molly2 Posted 25 Mar 2009 , 2:39am
post #4 of 18

summernoelle

I agree that's why I wouldn't even try it

Molly icon_smile.gif

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 25 Mar 2009 , 4:33am
post #5 of 18

Supposedly, yes you can! Do a search here and find the old thread.

Someone has successfully done this. They rubbed all the sticky stuff off of the cutting mat and used Crisco to make a thin sheet of gumpaste stick to it. They allowed the gumpaste to set up for a few minutes and then the Cricut cut it like butter.

Just this morning, in fact, I bought the deep blade for my Cricut for this very purpose. I hope to be able to find time to try it this weekend.

Molly2 Posted 25 Mar 2009 , 11:05am
post #6 of 18

I don't know if I'm doing this right but here is a link its people that have used the cricut for cake decorating
http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-613921-cricut.html

Molly

erinalicia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
erinalicia Posted 25 Mar 2009 , 7:27pm
post #7 of 18

i used a paper punch to cut daisy shapes out of very thin sheets of fondant. i had to let the fondant dry a little and then used the paper punch. occasionally small pieces of the fondant would hang up in the cutter, but i just used a toothpick or knife to ease it out.

not sure about the cricut machines, though

summernoelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
summernoelle Posted 26 Mar 2009 , 12:29am
post #8 of 18

Ooooh, cool. Thanks for sharing Cakepro! Let us know how it works. I was at Hobby Lobby yesterday looking the these machines. I don't scrapbook, but I still wanted one. icon_smile.gif

-Tubbs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-Tubbs Posted 26 Mar 2009 , 7:37pm
post #9 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by summernoelle

I don't scrapbook, but I still wanted one. icon_smile.gif

Me too! I think they're the kind of thing we just 'want' irrationally, but don't need - like men and big TVs!!

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 3 Jul 2009 , 10:51pm
post #10 of 18

My friend has a cricut cutter and I watched her cut some shapes from scrapbook paper.The cutter barely made it through the thicker paper..she had to do it 3 times and the flower still didn't pop out so I wonder how it would cut gumpaste..Maybe she needed a new blade but it doesn't look like t would cut more than paper.

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 3 Jul 2009 , 10:57pm
post #11 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by grandmacupcake09

There have been several inquires about using the Cricut to cut gum paste for cake decorating. Go to www.deseretdesigns.com. You can buy a video that tell you exactly how to do it! The cakes on that web site that were made with the Cricut are amazing.

Ohhhhh man. Getting a cricut. Not buying the video, I can figure it out myself. Ohhhhh man. I can tell by looking at her new cakes, that's exactly what she did, huh?? icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

DollyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DollyCakes Posted 6 Jul 2009 , 7:56pm
post #12 of 18

Wow, I looked at those cakes and that Cricut would be AWESOME to have!!! My babysitter has one...wonder if I could talk her into running some fondant or gumpaste through it! Cool!!

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 6 Jul 2009 , 8:04pm
post #13 of 18

Dang. Sure wish thse Michael's coupons didn't specifically EXCLUDE the cricut! icon_wink.gificon_biggrin.gif

bisbqueenb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bisbqueenb Posted 6 Jul 2009 , 11:16pm
post #14 of 18

Check Michaels. last week there was a big Cricut display right up front, marked $99 also shows up on their web site... http://www.michaels.com/art/online/static?page=cricut

Says it includes machine includes the DonJuan font and shape cartridge, 6-inch x 12-inch cutting mat, and cords and manuals.

kr1970 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kr1970 Posted 6 Jul 2009 , 11:39pm
post #15 of 18

Do you have to but all the extra "shapes" like on a die cut machine to use it or is it already programmed in, also i read something about the computer- can you down load images to it for it to cut??

KathyTW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KathyTW Posted 7 Jul 2009 , 12:03am
post #16 of 18

The Cricut is a stand-alone machine, no computer necessary. But it is dependent on cartridges (for the most part) for each font or group of graphics.

There are computer driven cutters out there that are not dependent on cartridges. Any font or image can be used, you can even design your own. They are also a lot more commercial grade than the Cricut which would be better if you're going to use it a lot for a business.

kr1970 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kr1970 Posted 7 Jul 2009 , 1:40pm
post #17 of 18

Thanks Kathy- are the cartiridges expensive?

KathyTW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KathyTW Posted 7 Jul 2009 , 10:27pm
post #18 of 18

I think they run about $30 to $50 - that's why I like the computer driven machines!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%