Anyone A Licensed Home Baker In Massachusetts?

Business By kathy777 Updated 24 Mar 2009 , 1:19pm by cupcakemkr

kathy777 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kathy777 Posted 23 Mar 2009 , 1:18pm
post #1 of 3

I am really wanted to open a business in my home, icon_smile.gif i know in massachusetts you have to be serve safe certified and a home inspection. Is there anyone out there from mass that already has there license that could possibly tell me what else i need? thanks in advance! kathy

2 replies
cfao Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cfao Posted 24 Mar 2009 , 1:05pm
post #2 of 3

What town are you in? I have been in business for 19 years out of my home. A few years ago we thought about getting a larger home, but a lot of the towns around us will not let a home bakery (or any kind of home business) set up in their town because of zoning laws. Our town now has revamped their zoning and if I were to start my business today, I would not be able to in my present location. Luckily, I am grandfathered in. As you probably guessed, we stayed right where we are.

cupcakemkr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakemkr Posted 24 Mar 2009 , 1:19pm
post #3 of 3

In my town you need to contact the health department at town hall and be inspected, they want to have a list of all ingredients you use, look to see that you are serve safe certified, all business related utencils/instruments/foods need to be stored seperately from home items. Health dept. here was/is EXTREMELY helpful.

What town are you in?

ETA - of course you'll want business insurance, register your business with the state, pay taxes....Massachusetts does like their taxes! LOL icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%