Is This Possible?

Decorating By jonahsmom Updated 24 Mar 2009 , 1:19am by jonahsmom

jonahsmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jonahsmom Posted 23 Mar 2009 , 1:11pm
post #1 of 9

A friend of mine has a son who is graduating from high school this year and he LOVES guitars...he has six of them! Anyway, one of the suggestions she made as far as cake is to have a guitar on a stand! Not just a small fondant guitar on a small fondant stand on top of the cake, but an actually life-size guitar. Now, I'm a newbie and don't even know if I would even ATTEMPT something like this, but if I were to attempt it, how would I go about it? I know many of you use RKT...is that what I would have to use? Hmm....it would be super cool to be able to do. No one in the area does anything like that.....

TIA!

8 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 23 Mar 2009 , 1:19pm
post #2 of 9

Yes it is possible. But........even w/my almost 30 yrs of experience I wouldn't try it!

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 23 Mar 2009 , 1:22pm
post #3 of 9

I agree with Kakeladi..I have done alot of things over the years (Cake wise)but I wouldn't try it either!! Sometimes even the cakes that Duff does I wouldn't attempt.

janelwaters Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
janelwaters Posted 23 Mar 2009 , 1:23pm
post #4 of 9

as mentioned - yes it is possible - but I saw on Amazing Wedding Cakes, the girls at the Pink Cake Box tried it and with 6 people helping had major issues!

Good luck with whatever you decide!

this-mama-rocks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
this-mama-rocks Posted 23 Mar 2009 , 1:28pm
post #5 of 9

If you can catch the episode, the Cake Girls on We TV's "Amazing Wedding Cakes" did a standing guitar cake. It seemed pretty challenging.

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 23 Mar 2009 , 1:30pm
post #6 of 9

I'm attempting this for my son's 19th birthday (April 26th), however since he hates cake (I know, I think he's just sick of it), I'll be using RKT. I think it will be a lot sturdier then cake anyway. I'll post pic's when I do it, but it is a month away I'm not sure when you will be needing it.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 23 Mar 2009 , 2:07pm
post #7 of 9

Yes, On "Amazing Wedding Cakes" is where I saw it done. There were problems of course.
Recently I saw Duff's staff do one on it's side. again problems.
You would have to have a *very dense* cake....I actually think that even my WASC recipe would not be dense enough icon_sad.gif

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 23 Mar 2009 , 3:35pm
post #8 of 9

Putting it on it's side would be a good way to go, and you wouldn't need to quote your friend a $1,000 price tag and a warning that she needs to pay you ahead of time even if it doesn't work.

You would need a backing board the size of the cake to support it all the way up. If I were going to try something vertical like a door or guitar; I would make a stand with thin shelves, and slot the cake layers on them.

I cheat. icon_biggrin.gif
Here's sort of what I mean... http://www.food-pack.hu/hatt0038.html

jonahsmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jonahsmom Posted 24 Mar 2009 , 1:19am
post #9 of 9

Thanks for the replies! I knew it would be SUPER SUPER hard, I just wanted to throw it out to all of you to see what you all thought! I think I need to just stick with my original thought about a sheet cake and a fondant figure playing his favorite guitar or something. That would be different enough I think for this area without running the risk of ruining a nice party!!!

Thanks!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%