Cake Dummies & Buttercream/royal Icing

Decorating By kellertur Updated 24 Mar 2009 , 10:20pm by indydebi

kellertur Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kellertur Posted 23 Mar 2009 , 1:28am
post #1 of 6

I've been wanting to do a dummy with Buttercream, but wasn't sure how to apply it so it will remain and not just chip off after a day or two. This will be for a display in a show, so would I need to wrap it in plastic first or should I just apply directly to dummy?

Those of you who make buttercream dummies: I would appreciate (beyond words) you walking me through your process, application, etc.

Thank you in advance~ icon_smile.gif

5 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 23 Mar 2009 , 2:03am
post #2 of 6

Just put it directly on the styro. I omit the vanilla and dream whip from my recipe (not eating it, so dont' need the flavor enhancers), but otherwise it's the same icing I use on regular cakes. Not sure why, but when it's applied to styrofoam, it hardens like concrete. People LUV it at shows when I tell 'em, "Sure! Go ahead!! YOu can touch it!"

It will not fall off after only a couple of days. (Just like it wont' fall off of a real cake, either, after only a couple of days.) I made my M&M cake about 3 years ago and just scraped it off last month .... run the knife under the hardened icing and it pops right off. Wipe the styro down with a wet rag and it's ready to go again.

Styro cakes will last for months/years. And no, they DON'T attract bugs.

kellertur Posted 23 Mar 2009 , 3:33pm
post #3 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

And no, they DON'T attract bugs.

Wow! I'm actually surprised by that. icon_confused.gif

Thanks for answering this post. I'm excited to ice one tonight ~ I'm sick of fondant right now and want to practice my piping anyway.

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 23 Mar 2009 , 3:44pm
post #4 of 6

i teach cake decorating at michaels, etc... i use name brand press n seal.. then decorate with buttercream as usual.. i have a dummie cake , right now , that was decorated 6 months ago. it is the course 11 , basket weave and rope border.. and all the royal icing flowers. i just take it to the trash can.. dump it all in the trash. when i want to use it again.. the press n seal. just adheres to the dummie great. no taping, etc. hth

kellertur Posted 24 Mar 2009 , 7:28pm
post #5 of 6

Thanks.

When traveling with dummy cakes, do you disassemble them and put them together at event?

Also~ when applying buttercream to a dummy, do you weight it down or are the tiers glued together first?

I'm sorry for so many questions.

Thanks icon_smile.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 24 Mar 2009 , 10:20pm
post #6 of 6

I use BC as the glue to hold the tiers together. It hardens like concrete, so once they are together ... they are TOGETHER!! I pick the smaller ones up by the top tier only and the bottom tier comes with it.

I never glue the dummies together. I just never needed to. Plus when I take them apart to change the design, I'm not "stuck" with the same set-up because the styro's are glued together.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%