Store Bought Icing?????

Baking By Nicole1985 Updated 30 Mar 2009 , 8:28pm by GeminiRJ

Nicole1985 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nicole1985 Posted 23 Mar 2009 , 12:02am
post #1 of 6

I know this may sound strange on a forum like this but is there a decent store bought icing suitable for cookies? I absolutely HATE tinting/making icing but LOVE decorating cookies. I am also not a big fan of the taste of royal icing any suggestions for something different?

5 replies
HeidiCrumbs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HeidiCrumbs Posted 23 Mar 2009 , 1:35am
post #2 of 6

In Wisconsin, we have a store called U Bake and it has mostly frozen unbaked bakery goods that you bake at home, or bulk baking supplies, sprinkles etc...at x-mas time they had deli containers of an icing similar to Toba's Icing. It was white though, no colors. I would think that you could go into any bakery and ask them to sell you some frosting.

SILVERCAT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SILVERCAT Posted 23 Mar 2009 , 1:38am
post #3 of 6

Have you tried Toba's glaze? I changed of from royal to Toba's and the taste is so much better!

GeminiRJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeminiRJ Posted 24 Mar 2009 , 5:48pm
post #4 of 6

You can buy Dixie's Icing for cookies. Her BC is to die for, and the cookie icing is pretty much the same thing only with more powdered sugar so it will crust (but don't quote me on that). The container has instructions for thinning and heating in the microwave for making the icing more of a glace. You can get samples of her icings, too, and I think the shipping for them is free (again, don't quote me on that!).

Nicole1985 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nicole1985 Posted 30 Mar 2009 , 8:06pm
post #5 of 6

Thanks for the responses. I have tried the cookie glaze icing before but couldn't get it thick enough to pipe but I;m going to continue to work on that because I LOVE that taste so much better than royal. Also will check out dixies icing my biggest concern is storage for if I could figure out exactly how to tell if the icing is bad i could make serveral common colors up in big batches and keep them. Rather than the colors needed for the cookie design Thanks again for the posts!

GeminiRJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeminiRJ Posted 30 Mar 2009 , 8:28pm
post #6 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicole1985

Thanks for the responses. I have tried the cookie glaze icing before but couldn't get it thick enough to pipe but I;m going to continue to work on that because I LOVE that taste so much better than royal. Also will check out dixies icing my biggest concern is storage for if I could figure out exactly how to tell if the icing is bad i could make serveral common colors up in big batches and keep them. Rather than the colors needed for the cookie design Thanks again for the posts!

Dixie's will stay fresh for 6 months unrefrigerated, 12 months if refrigerated. I mix up colors and store them in small Rubbermaid containers and leave them in my spare fridge. Works especially well for having red icing and black icing on hand!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%