A Question On How To Fill A Cake

Decorating By Rhonda19 Updated 22 Mar 2009 , 11:12pm by Rhonda19

Rhonda19 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rhonda19 Posted 22 Mar 2009 , 7:38pm
post #1 of 5

Hi !

I have a kind of " dumb" question that I'm sure quite a few people are going to go, " Huh"??? (LOL)

But, when you bake a large cake, be it a sheet cake, or large tier on a wedding cake...how do you fill them? I've never filled a large cake. I did try once, just playing... and I split the cake just fine, but when I took off the top layer, it fell into a million pieces. Do you bake 2 thin layers, fill and then frost?? Just would like to hear how you do it!!

Thanks!!

4 replies
Niliquely Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Niliquely Posted 22 Mar 2009 , 8:12pm
post #2 of 5

I slide mine onto a really big flat cookie sheet, but a rectangular cakeboard or piece of cardboard also works great! It also makes it easy to slide back on.
And I don't think there are any dumb questions here...I have asked dozens of questions and everyone is always kind about replying!

GayeG Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GayeG Posted 22 Mar 2009 , 8:27pm
post #3 of 5

I do mine the same way - just using a lage cake round - usually whatever Im using to put the completed cake on .... shimmy it on - shimmy it off ... Kinda sounds like a Richard Simmons Video huh?! icon_wink.gif

step0nmi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
step0nmi Posted 22 Mar 2009 , 8:46pm
post #4 of 5

when I do a two layer sheet cake I actually bake two layers. I then fill it with the large flat tip that you use to frost your cake and a 16" bag and flip my other layer onto it. but, i also use a board or cookie sheet to flip it so it doesn't crack

Rhonda19 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rhonda19 Posted 22 Mar 2009 , 11:12pm
post #5 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niliquely

I slide mine onto a really big flat cookie sheet, but a rectangular cakeboard or piece of cardboard also works great! It also makes it easy to slide back on.
And I don't think there are any dumb questions here...I have asked dozens of questions and everyone is always kind about replying!

Thank you for the answers everyone!! and for not making me feel like a complete moron! I wasn't sure if my complete question got posted though...(it did ) but Cake Central website went down just as I hit the submit key..

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%