Left My (Dis)Comfort Zone, Michele, You're My Hero!

Decorating By chilz822 Updated 2 Apr 2009 , 8:13pm by Win

kentuckyjode Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kentuckyjode Posted 23 Mar 2009 , 1:13am
post #31 of 87

You might want to try Jennifer Dontz's fondant recipe too...it is amazing!!!Tastes great and is a dream to work with!!

nannie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nannie Posted 23 Mar 2009 , 1:15am
post #32 of 87

Marianna46

Love orange in frosting: the buttercream recipe I've always used calls for 1/2 teaspoon orange xtract, 1/2 teaspoon lemon xtact and 1 teaspoon vanilla

I get lots of compiments on the flavour and I think it's an unusual combination.

sugarspice Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarspice Posted 23 Mar 2009 , 2:13am
post #33 of 87

I think I will be brave enough to try it too!!

mclaren Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mclaren Posted 23 Mar 2009 , 2:53am
post #34 of 87

has anyone ever tried adding melted white choc AFTER the whole process of making the MFF is done?

i've made a batch of MFF few days ago, to be used this friday. now am thinking of adding some white choc to it. but all posts on adding WC talked abt adding them during the melting stage of making MFF.

can it be done after the whole process? i so want to make the WC version of MFF, but don't want to go thru the process of making another batch, since i don't own a standing mixer or KA, so i have to knead by hand if i want to make another batch .

Sugarflowers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugarflowers Posted 23 Mar 2009 , 3:05am
post #35 of 87

Thank you everyone for all of the compliments! One of my favorite things about this fondant is its versatility. It's so easy to make a variety if flavors and colors.

Thanks again.

Michele

Sugarflowers Posted 23 Mar 2009 , 3:06am
post #36 of 87

Sorry, double post.

Michele

gerripje Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gerripje Posted 23 Mar 2009 , 3:30am
post #37 of 87

The roasting pan tip is wonderful! I am short of counter space at the best of times! I loved the white chocolate and next I am going to make chocolate fondant. I saw in another thread to add brown food colour for a darker color, so then to not add as much glycerin since gel colors have it in there too.
I really like this recipe, and making more fondant cakes. It was a pain to go into town to buy fondant and of course it was only Wilton that was available to me locally. Yucky and too expensive! Isn't it great when something just works out!!

mclaren Posted 23 Mar 2009 , 3:53am
post #38 of 87

so no one can really help with my ques?

Sugarflowers Posted 23 Mar 2009 , 4:38am
post #39 of 87

I have kneaded small amounts of white chocolate to vanilla fondant. The chocolate should be very soft but not melted. White chocolate can make the fondant a little softer so you might need to need to add a little powdered sugar.

HTH

Michele

FlourPots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FlourPots Posted 23 Mar 2009 , 5:50am
post #40 of 87

chilz...your creamer experiments sound delicious!

nannie...you're welcome icon_smile.gif .

Just a word about Creme Bouquet...there is a definite difference in taste between the 2 leading brands...CK & Magic Line.

I tried CK first...and it was ok.
I tried Magic Line's and fell in love. It's incredible. The smell alone makes me crazy icon_biggrin.gif .

mustang1964 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mustang1964 Posted 23 Mar 2009 , 6:30am
post #41 of 87

O.K. so you strain into mixer containing 2 lb powdered sugar. Why do you have to strain it?
Thanks

gerripje Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gerripje Posted 23 Mar 2009 , 6:56am
post #42 of 87

I believe you strain it because there may be some lumps of gelatin or whatever. I stir mine alot so there isn't too many lumps of anything, but I'm not totally sure if that's the reason.

milissasmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
milissasmom Posted 23 Mar 2009 , 7:02am
post #43 of 87

Just got my ingredients yesterday from the grocery store and can't wait to try it this week! I don't have a double boiler though so I will have to work around that but I am sure it will work out!! So excited!

mclaren Posted 23 Mar 2009 , 7:56am
post #44 of 87

mustang, like gerripje, i stirred mine too, until it cooled -- there weren't any lumps, so, i didn't strain.

mclaren Posted 23 Mar 2009 , 8:40am
post #45 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugarflowers

I have kneaded small amounts of white chocolate to vanilla fondant. The chocolate should be very soft but not melted. White chocolate can make the fondant a little softer so you might need to need to add a little powdered sugar.

HTH

Michele

forgot to thank you for this tip! gonna get me some WC tomorrow, and knead it in..

Peet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Peet Posted 23 Mar 2009 , 10:13am
post #46 of 87

I would love to try Jennifer Dontz recipe. Where can I find it? I tried in CC but no luck so far.

Another question, how much gelatine is in one package? I live in Europe and I am sure one pack contains the same but you never know!

I add some Tylose to my MMF and it works great. I love working with gumpaste, but the Tylose does add little bumps in my fondant. I have added it later on to my fondant and I tried adding it to the water before mixing the marshmellows in. Any ideas?

Thanks!

Petra

FlourPots Posted 23 Mar 2009 , 12:40pm
post #47 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by milissasmom

Just got my ingredients yesterday from the grocery store and can't wait to try it this week! I don't have a double boiler though so I will have to work around that but I am sure it will work out!! So excited!

I don't have one either...I put a small stainless steel bowl on top of a small pot...it works great.

FlourPots Posted 23 Mar 2009 , 12:50pm
post #48 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peet

I would love to try Jennifer Dontz recipe. Where can I find it? I tried in CC but no luck so far.

Another question, how much gelatine is in one package? I live in Europe and I am sure one pack contains the same but you never know!

Jennifer's recipe isn't posted...it's in her DVD (Vol. 1) that can be found here: http://www.jenniferdontz.com/store.php

A packet of Knox brand gelatin has less than 2 tsps. in it.

Sugarflowers Posted 23 Mar 2009 , 1:01pm
post #49 of 87

If you don't have a double boiler you can use the microwave. Once the gelatin has bloomed (firmed up) then nuke it for 1 minute on high to melt it. Add the remaining ingredients, except for the powdered sugar, and nuke in 1 minute intervals until the butter is almost melted. Let this cool to luke warm. Strain it into 2 lbs. powdered sugar, stir by hand. Add more powdered sugar slowly until the fondant does not ooze down the dough hook. Follow the rest of the recipe to finish.

The straining is to get rid of any lumps of gelatin and/or chocolate. Although the recipe states to use 3 packets of gelatin, I find that I get better results if I measure it. I use 3 level tablespoons for a batch.

HTH

Michele

suzylynn58 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
suzylynn58 Posted 23 Mar 2009 , 1:12pm
post #50 of 87

Hi Michele, I use the microwave method all the time. It saves steps and works like a charm. I also use a big stainless bowl to mix and knead (by Hand) in, so I don't have p. sugar all over my counter.

I LOVE your fondant!

Susan

mclaren Posted 23 Mar 2009 , 2:43pm
post #51 of 87

michele & others, what happens if we add in more than 6oz of WC? will it affect (in a bad way) the workability of the fondant?

Sugarflowers Posted 23 Mar 2009 , 3:20pm
post #52 of 87

More than 6 ounces of white chocolate can cause a problem with workability. It really doesn't add more flavor either. The white chocolate has quite a bit of fat in it and this can cause the fondant to lose elasticity. Save your money and your chocolate.

HTH

Michele

yelle66 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yelle66 Posted 23 Mar 2009 , 4:09pm
post #53 of 87

Michele, I love your fondant, too! I tried going to commercial b/c it was easier, but I couldn't stand the taste. My only question is, I know I'm messing up the amount of powdered sugar, but I'm just not exactly sure when to stop adding it. Last time I waited until it was pretty firm, but it felt like fondant, but after sitting for 24 hours it was super hard (not dried hard, but really hard to work with and not very stretchable.) I think that was pretty close to 4 lbs of PS, so how do I know exactly when to stop adding. I know you said when it stops oozing down the hook, but sometimes it will be on there and then after a second, everything settles down to the bottom of the bowl and it starts sliding down, too. Last time when trying to avoid that, I added too much. Should it still be really soft when it first comes out of the bowl?

Thanks so much!

Danielle

dailey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dailey Posted 23 Mar 2009 , 4:19pm
post #54 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by mclaren

michele & others, what happens if we add in more than 6oz of WC? will it affect (in a bad way) the workability of the fondant?

i've made the fondant with 6 ounces of white chocolate. its the *only* way i can get it to work for me without having to add too much powered sugar...

Sugarflowers Posted 23 Mar 2009 , 4:22pm
post #55 of 87

I guess the speed of the oozing would be more helpful. If it droops immediately, then it needs more powdered sugar. It it's fairly slow, but still somewhat soft, then you have it. It will be slightly soft when you take it out of the bowl. Kneading more powdered sugar after it is mixed is just to make it less sticky. Usually I only add about 3 /12 pounds of powdered sugar. I very rarely add more than that.

If the fondant is too stiff, then knead in some glycerin in small amounts. It will be easier if you "fix" small amounts and then blend them all together.

HTH

Michele

Sugarflowers Posted 23 Mar 2009 , 4:27pm
post #56 of 87

Sorry for the double post again. I don't know what I'm doing wrong. icon_confused.gif

Michele

lapazlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lapazlady Posted 23 Mar 2009 , 4:33pm
post #57 of 87

Isn't the Michelle Foster Fondant easy? I love the way it feels. (I have to admit I've never tasted it.)

Marianna46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marianna46 Posted 23 Mar 2009 , 4:45pm
post #58 of 87

Love your idea, nannie, the combination sounds wonderful! Looks like I'm going to have to make lots of fondant, so I can try both the Creme Bouquet and the orange-lemon-vanilla combination you suggest. Which is fine by me: I'm so happy using this fondant that I want to make hundreds of cakes, line 'em up and cover them all! It used to take me hours, first to roll out the fondant large enough and then to get it on the cake without it stretching or tearing and then molding it to the cake. And then there was that miserable ruffle at the bottom that would never go away and all that buttercream or apricot jam squishing out the bottom! With Michele's (thanks a million, Michele, since I see you're following this thread), rolling, transferring and molding are a breeze and the results are spectacular. In fact, last night right after my last post, I covered another cake! So satisfying to the soul!

Moxie2000, your idea about the roasting pan is inspired. Never again will I end up having to clean off my whole dining room table (the official workspace in this house icon_lol.gif ) and the whole floor under and around it. How clever of you to come up with it!

chilz822 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chilz822 Posted 23 Mar 2009 , 4:46pm
post #59 of 87

I can't rave about it enough. I promised myself after I made it and it turned out so perfect, that I would come back here and start yet another 'I love Michele!' thread. I'm so glad to see you here advsing also, Michele!
Raising my right hand, I promise to never fuss with MMF again and to always brag on Michele's!'
MMF is so unpredictable and Satin Ice is expensive and hard for me (I said for 'ME' heh) to work with, as is ChocoPan, and we all know about Wilton's...
I'm hooked and my cake-life has become much easier and reliable!
icon_biggrin.gif
I'm custious Michele, if any flavors don't mix well? LoRanns? Emulsions? extracts? Hmmm.. Peanut Butter? Kool-Aid? icon_razz.gif
Mmm... Peanut Butter Fondant! Whaddaya think?

Marianna46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marianna46 Posted 23 Mar 2009 , 5:01pm
post #60 of 87

Wow, chilz, that's another batch of fondant I'm going to have to make. I'm the head crusader for putting peanut butter in anything baked. The silky peanut butter filling in the recipe section here is my all-time favorite cake filling (I always ask if anybody is allergic, of course, but if I find out they're not, then full speed ahead icon_biggrin.gificon_lol.gif !). I also have a peanut paste recipe that I'm going to post here someday that can serve as a filling or, rolled out, as a covering for fruitcakes, etc., sort of like marzipan. Speaking of new and different flavors, in my neck of the woods, a favorite condiment for fresh fruit is a thing I call chilesalimon (not a real word, just my abbreviation). It's a mixture of powdered chile, lime juice and salt. People, especially younger ones, put it on everything. Wonder what that would be like in a fondant... Well, maybe not, but I'd have to test it out on a bunch of kids from my neighborhood before I'd rule it out completely!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%