Decorating Class At Local Highschool?

Decorating By BumbleBakeShop Updated 22 Mar 2009 , 11:47pm by cindww

BumbleBakeShop Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BumbleBakeShop Posted 22 Mar 2009 , 6:00pm
post #1 of 7

Hey all! I'm pretty much a newbie when it comes to cake decorating and everything I have done has been self-taught.

At the local high school, they are offering a cake decorating class for 8 weeks for $45 plus supplies.

Has anyone done something similar to this? Are classes like this credible and worth it? I don't want to be disappointed. icon_rolleyes.gif

Thanks!! icon_smile.gif

6 replies
Getus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Getus Posted 22 Mar 2009 , 8:27pm
post #2 of 7

I would go for it. For $45 you are bound to learn something you can use...that's a bargain. 8 weeks...it sounds like they intend to teach several different things...even if it's basic things...you are going to learn some valuable tips and such, as well as some techniques.
Do it. thumbs_up.gif

step0nmi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
step0nmi Posted 22 Mar 2009 , 8:39pm
post #3 of 7

wow! $45 for 8 weeks sounds really valuable. How many days a week? Do you know who it's taught by? You could ask those person's credentials...these are things I would be interested in knowing. other than that I would do it if I knew the program!

GayeG Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GayeG Posted 22 Mar 2009 , 8:41pm
post #4 of 7

Awww - this is where I took my ONE and ONLY class .. But it was 30 yrs ago!!! (O MY!) and I loved it! Its what got me HOOKED in the first place! I wouldnt trade my memory for nothing! I learned all the basic uses of the tips etc. I say go for it!! Even if you come away only learning a few things - its a few things more than you know now icon_smile.gif Good Luck and let us know how you like it!

BumbleBakeShop Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BumbleBakeShop Posted 22 Mar 2009 , 9:07pm
post #5 of 7

Thanks for the replies and words of encouragement!!

It is once a week for 2 hours. I feel like they wouldn't offer it if the person wasn't qualified, right? I'm hoping that it's a Wilton class! icon_biggrin.gif

Regardless, you are all probably right- they're bound to teach me something useful! Thanks again!

Getus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Getus Posted 22 Mar 2009 , 11:35pm
post #6 of 7

2 hrs a week! Wow, that's gonna cost you less than $3 per hr! That's a bargain for sure. And, I hope they teach you other things than the "Wilton" way. Wilton is fine, but it's not the only. For instance, I can make a quick, beautiful rose on a stick, but give me a flower nail and have me do it the "Wilton" way...it takes me forever. Sign up and have FUN! icon_wink.gif

cindww Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cindww Posted 22 Mar 2009 , 11:47pm
post #7 of 7

Just wanted to throw in my 2 cents. I took a cake decorating class through my local adult evening school. The classes were held in the high school. It ended up being Wilton parts 1 and 2. I learned a lot but more importantly, it gave me the drive and desire to try lots of other techniques, too.
Good luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%