Problem With Baker's Ammonia

Baking By vita752001 Updated 25 Mar 2009 , 4:28pm by vita752001

vita752001 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vita752001 Posted 22 Mar 2009 , 4:43am
post #1 of 7

I've just tried to bake my regular butter cookies with baker's ammonia. I bought the baker's ammonia because I heard it makes cookies crispier and that's true, my cookies turned out better in texture but the problem was they're spreading more than I expected. It's hard for me to decorate the cookies with fondant because the cookies didn't have the same size with the cutter anymore and the images on the cookies wasn't that clear when I used the cookie press. I just wondering if there's other cc's member has the same problem and know how to solve it. Please help. I used only 1 tsp baker's ammonia for my 550 gr of flour. I wish I have my cookies crispy like the store bought one. icon_rolleyes.gif

6 replies
playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 22 Mar 2009 , 1:15pm
post #2 of 7

Does your recipe call for baker's ammonia, or is this an experiment?

Theresa icon_smile.gif

vita752001 Posted 22 Mar 2009 , 11:06pm
post #3 of 7

It was just my experiment, the recipe doesn't call for baker's ammonia or baking powder, might be this is the problem huh?? But I read somewhere that we can just substitute baker's ammonia for baking powder.

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 23 Mar 2009 , 10:24am
post #4 of 7

I have never read that in any of my pastry books, nor would I subscribe to that theory.

Try that recipe again, using the recipe as it is written, and let us know what the results are.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

vita752001 Posted 23 Mar 2009 , 4:24pm
post #5 of 7

I've been using my butter cookies recipe many times, I had no problem with it. The cookies always came out yummy and nice shape (not spreading). I just want to experiment a little bit, I was hoping that the cookies will be crispier, that's why I tried to add the bakers ammonia. I think it's just not gonna work. Thank you so much for your reply icon_razz.gif

luv2bake6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luv2bake6 Posted 23 Mar 2009 , 4:50pm
post #6 of 7

If your recipe didn't even call for baking powder, then adding the bakers ammonia offset the recipe and therefore unwanted results. I always just stick to what the recipes say when it comes to the basic ingredients since there is a whole chemistry behind it and i'm not experienced enough to play around and experiment.
Good luck to you.

vita752001 Posted 25 Mar 2009 , 4:28pm
post #7 of 7

You right. I guess I have to stop experiment with it, I don't want to stress myself icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%