Airbrush Question

Decorating By maisyone2 Updated 23 Mar 2009 , 5:36am by sugarshack

maisyone2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maisyone2 Posted 22 Mar 2009 , 4:10am
post #1 of 10

My DH just bought me an airbrush. I'm going to start playing around with it tomorrow. For those of you who are "experts", can you tell me how you airbrush the top of a cake close to the edge without over-spraying on the sides? And do you put something under the bottom edges of the cake so you don't spray on the board?

All advise will be appreciated!

Gayle
SE MI

9 replies
maisyone2 Posted 22 Mar 2009 , 3:00pm
post #2 of 10

Anyone??

maisyone2 Posted 23 Mar 2009 , 12:35am
post #3 of 10

Am I to assume that KNOW ONE HERE HAS EVER USED AN AIRBRUSH??

I really would love a little advise...Thank YOU!!

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 23 Mar 2009 , 12:45am
post #4 of 10

Cover your sides..Thats what I would do.
Edna icon_smile.gif

maisyone2 Posted 23 Mar 2009 , 12:58am
post #5 of 10

Thank you for replying Edna.

debster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debster Posted 23 Mar 2009 , 1:11am
post #6 of 10

I'm not a pro for sure but the couple that I did to help with the over spray take a piece of cardboard or a cut out piece of a cake box and hold it over where you don't want the spray to go. The over spray goes on the board and not where you don't want it. Hope this helps you, and to Edna I saw your topsy turvey cake in the magazine this month. GREAT FOR YOU!!!!! I love that cake by the way. thumbs_up.gif

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 23 Mar 2009 , 1:24am
post #7 of 10

Maisy not everyone sees these threads right away. I just saw it and it's been on for two days! In answer to your question, go to www.howtoairbrush.com and download the beginner lessons. They have excellent starter tips for any airbrush. Good luck! icon_biggrin.gif

maisyone2 Posted 23 Mar 2009 , 2:14am
post #8 of 10

Thanks to you all! I will check out that website Bob.

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 23 Mar 2009 , 3:26am
post #9 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by debster

I'm not a pro for sure but the couple that I did to help with the over spray take a piece of cardboard or a cut out piece of a cake box and hold it over where you don't want the spray to go. The over spray goes on the board and not where you don't want it. Hope this helps you, and to Edna I saw your topsy turvey cake in the magazine this month. GREAT FOR YOU!!!!! I love that cake by the way. thumbs_up.gif

I just saw it today!... icon_razz.gif I have done that cake 3 times in the last 2 months icon_redface.gif IS a tough one!
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshack Posted 23 Mar 2009 , 5:36am
post #10 of 10

You can also control how wide the spray is by how far you pull back on the trigger of the airbrush. The more you pull it back, the wider the spray is. The less you pull, the more pin point. Also comes into to play is how high or low you have the air pressure set. Best thing to do is practice on cake circles iced with a thin layer on BC and just play with the brush to get the feel for how it works. ( and get books and videos too if you can)
HTH some!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%