Stacking A Square Wedding Cake ?????

Decorating By kim62808 Updated 22 Mar 2009 , 5:14am by kim62808

kim62808 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kim62808 Posted 21 Mar 2009 , 8:38pm
post #1 of 11

Ok I am going to make a 3 tiered { 2 layers each 12x12 , 8x8 , 6x } Square wedding cake next weekend . Do I use the same method as you would for a round ? It may look a bit like this one { one she chose of here ?} So do I use dowels only or cut some square cardboards and put underneath the tiers , or both ? It's a 45 min drive .What will work best .Ps it is a small family wedding but I really want her to have the hieght { More drama , more beautiful }
LL

10 replies
Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 21 Mar 2009 , 8:52pm
post #2 of 11

You MUST have cardboard cake circles (or squares, obviously) under each tier and you MUST have dowels.

The procedure is the same no matter what shape or size cake you are stacking.

Be sure to refrigerate the completed cake overnight so it will be very firm for transporting.

kim62808 Posted 21 Mar 2009 , 9:03pm
post #3 of 11

thumbs_up.gif Well thank you very much Cakepro ,,, I will take ur advice and do that . Ok I'll post my First Wedding cake next week he,he can't wait !

jlynnw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlynnw Posted 21 Mar 2009 , 9:05pm
post #4 of 11

add height with a cake pedestal or you can put something on the table, cover it with the tablecloth and then put the cake on top. Just add something for the dramatic height with a short cake. Dowels and boards like usuall and have a good time.

cakesbycathy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbycathy Posted 21 Mar 2009 , 10:35pm
post #5 of 11

You can buy the square plates with the sps system.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 21 Mar 2009 , 10:38pm
post #6 of 11

Yes, do try SPS. It works great!! And especially if you have a 45 minute drive for transport. SPS all the way!

pipe-dreams Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pipe-dreams Posted 21 Mar 2009 , 11:02pm
post #7 of 11

Okay, what is sps? I think I read about it before, but forgot. I'm making a 2 tier wedding cake, only about 10 minute drive. How do you put the one long dowel through if you have cake boards between each layer? Is that why you make it pointy and "hammer" it in?

wildflower Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wildflower Posted 21 Mar 2009 , 11:16pm
post #8 of 11

sps is the single plate system by bakery craft and although i havent used it yet,[planning on for my next wedding cake!]its supposed to be a really stable way of stacking your cakes so that you dont have to worry about any accidents when transporting the cake and ive heard nothing but good things from anyone who has tried it
i think there also a sticky on the how do i forum on how to use it
as for the long centre dowel,ur supposed to sharpen it and that will make a hole through the cardboard cake circles in each layer
hth!

pipe-dreams Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pipe-dreams Posted 21 Mar 2009 , 11:36pm
post #9 of 11

Thanks wildflower! That definitely helped!!

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 22 Mar 2009 , 12:03am
post #10 of 11

My signature line directs to toward the SPS sticky

kim62808 Posted 22 Mar 2009 , 5:14am
post #11 of 11

Thank you all Ladies I will take all the information and put it to use . I am glad there are good girls on here to help me out icon_smile.gif And I am sure the Bride that has waited 10 yrs for him to marry her { friend} will be happy not to have a topsy turvey cake when she asked for a square ! icon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%