Cake Flour

Decorating By dreamdelights Updated 21 Mar 2009 , 10:32pm by Redlotusninjagrl

dreamdelights Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dreamdelights Posted 21 Mar 2009 , 7:13pm
post #1 of 7

If a recipe calls for 2 1/4 all purpose flour but I want to use cake flour will it be the same ratio

6 replies
bashini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bashini Posted 21 Mar 2009 , 8:01pm
post #2 of 7

Hi, I wouldn't use cake flour if the recipe doesn't call for it. icon_smile.gif

ngfcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ngfcake Posted 21 Mar 2009 , 8:10pm
post #3 of 7

From The Joy of Baking. com:

1 cup (140 g) All-purpose flour substitute with 1 cup (110 grams) plus 2 tablespoons (20 grams) sifted cake flour.

Read more: "Ingredient Substitution - Joyofbaking.com" - http://www.joyofbaking.com/IngredientSubstitution.html#ixzz0AQ9TBqSG

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 21 Mar 2009 , 8:55pm
post #4 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by bashini

Hi, I wouldn't use cake flour if the recipe doesn't call for it. icon_smile.gif

I agree. Flours of different protein percentages cannot be exchanged in many recipes.

Redlotusninjagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Redlotusninjagrl Posted 21 Mar 2009 , 9:20pm
post #5 of 7

The protein percentage varies quite a bit for all purpose flour per the book "Cookwise". All purpose flour in the south is around the same ratio as cake flour. I think to be safe you should use the conversion ngfcake suggests. Don't be afraid to use cake flour. It makes a very light cake, or so the book says. icon_smile.gif

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 21 Mar 2009 , 9:39pm
post #6 of 7

You are assuming she's making cake.

If she's making bread, the cake flour will not allow the formation of gluten and if she's making cookies, she may end up with a wetter dough than necessary as cake flour does not allow as much absorption of liquid as AP flour does.

If you are a fan of Shirley Corriher, you ought to pick up Bakewise. It's another phenomenal work of hers.

Only White Lily AP flour has a protein content similar to cake flour.

Redlotusninjagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Redlotusninjagrl Posted 21 Mar 2009 , 10:32pm
post #7 of 7

Between the op saying she wanted to use cake flour and not that she only had cake flour, the question being asked on a cake website and not a breadmaking website along with the fact that cake flour is so much more expensive than all purpose, I am assuming that the flour is being used for cake. icon_biggrin.gif But in the event that is not correct, dreamdelights, you should use cake flour for cake and soft cookies only.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%