Grease Stain!!

Decorating By Reganlynn Updated 21 Mar 2009 , 9:58pm by Reganlynn

Reganlynn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Reganlynn Posted 21 Mar 2009 , 12:55pm
post #1 of 7

Hello, I just went to check on a cake I made last night. I wrapped the cake board in the same wrapping paper I always use, I did nothing different. I just looked at the cake and there is a grease stain all around the bottom of the cake, not just a little ring either, it's quite a good size! What happened?!! I know there is nothing I can do now, I can't take the cake off without ruining it, but for next time. Has this ever happened to anyone? Thanks!

6 replies
sweetcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcakes Posted 21 Mar 2009 , 1:08pm
post #2 of 7

wrapping paper is not suitable to cover a cake board. people who do use it will cover it with clear contact though. is this for a paying customer? to remove it you could pop it in the freezer, get a new board ready then after about 30min you might be able to get a spatular under it and lift it off to the new board.

Reganlynn Posted 21 Mar 2009 , 1:18pm
post #3 of 7

Thank you sweetcakes! I didn't know that about contact paper! I will definitly be using that going forward!! This is for a friend so thankfully it's not a paying customer. I have a pearl border all around the bottom tier so it wouldn't be easy to get the cake off without ruining it. Thank you for letting me know about clear contact paper!!

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 21 Mar 2009 , 3:57pm
post #4 of 7

Yeah, not to mention that wrapping paper is DEFINITELY not food-safe, so who knows what kind of toxic stuff is leaching into your cake from that paper and ink?? thumbsdown.gif

If you put the cake in the freezer and let the buttercream chill hard, you will be able to use two large spatulas or a cake lifter to get the cake off that wrapping paper and onto a cake board with a FOOD SAFE covering, such as freezer paper, aluminum foil, or even Fanci-Foil by Wilton. So then simply re-do the border ~ no big deal.

Contact paper is not food safe either, according to the manufacturer of the contact paper.

You can put your cakes on cardboard cake circles the same size as the cake and then place that on a decorated board. Just don't put cake directly on non-food safe surfaces, please!

LeckieAnne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LeckieAnne Posted 21 Mar 2009 , 4:10pm
post #5 of 7

I always put my cake on a board the same size as the cake - then I use a little hot glue to hold the cake's board on top of the pretty decorated board. Works for small cakes anyway. I assume the hot glue's ok since it's only touching the cake boards?

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 21 Mar 2009 , 4:14pm
post #6 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeckieAnne

I always put my cake on a board the same size as the cake - then I use a little hot glue to hold the cake's board on top of the pretty decorated board. Works for small cakes anyway. I assume the hot glue's ok since it's only touching the cake boards?

That's what I do too. icon_smile.gif The hot glue is not touching anything but the cake boards, so it's totally fine.

Reganlynn Posted 21 Mar 2009 , 9:58pm
post #7 of 7

My cake is not directly on the wrapping paper, it sits on top of a cardboard round and then is placed on the board with the wrapping paper on it.

Thank you all for the suggestions.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%