Wedding Cake Due In 13Hrs No Ideas

Decorating By DisneyDreamer Updated 7 Apr 2009 , 2:14pm by pianocat

DisneyDreamer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DisneyDreamer Posted 21 Mar 2009 , 4:28am
post #1 of 13

okay so this lady finds out i do cakes from my aunt well shes getting married already ordered sheet cakes to feed people but wants the look of a real cake asked me to make a fake cake for them no problem. me and her talked about it two fake layers and one real then she tells me she wants carrot cake okay 6' carrot i can cover the day of no big deal get a hold of her last week to touch base on the cake she wants a 12' carrot cake so it will be easy to cut. she told me no piping and covered in fondant. i made the decision not to make a 12' carrot and just make the top 6in because one it cant go in the fridge and 2 why so much cake for a photo. but now i am at a loss as to how to decorate it. i hate that i waited till last minuet but she keep changing her mind i should of put my foot down and said tell me what you want!! the only thing she says is she knows what she doesn't like!!!!! help i need decoration ideas the only "idea" she gave me was her color is Tiffany blue but the cake is white

ps i am going to give it to her free on the condition that she brings me back my 2 dummy cakes. if not ill charge her for the dummys (and we all know how expensive they get) and the fondant. does that sound fair?

12 replies
__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 21 Mar 2009 , 4:54am
post #2 of 13

If you don't charge up front for those dummies, you will never see them again. So in addition to the time and ingredients and other supplies, you most likely will be giving away dummies too.

If she couldn't tell you what she wanted, then she must not really care, so color it Tiffany blue and be done with it. And maybe add a big ole BoSox logo on the top for spite....and maybe Wally too! icon_biggrin.gif

juleebug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
juleebug Posted 21 Mar 2009 , 5:13am
post #3 of 13

Dreamer - I found some beautiful (yet simple) cakes in the gallery when I searched Tiffany Blue. Here's the link:

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&meta=search&type=full&search=tiffany+blue&album=-

DisneyDreamer Posted 21 Mar 2009 , 6:11pm
post #4 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by __Jamie__

If you don't charge up front for those dummies, you will never see them again. So in addition to the time and ingredients and other supplies, you most likely will be giving away dummies too.

If she couldn't tell you what she wanted, then she must not really care, so color it Tiffany blue and be done with it. And maybe add a big ole BoSox logo on the top for spite....and maybe Wally too! icon_biggrin.gif

i told her today the cake is free ONLY if you bring me back these dummies if not i will charge you the FULL price for the cake $325. she got mad but i said then just bring them back.

i did white fondant with a blue ribbon that's what you get when your pick as hell a simple cake

as for putting the red soxs on there i always hid a shamrock with the B in it as well as a mickey mouse on all the cakes i make.
LL

tripleD Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tripleD Posted 21 Mar 2009 , 6:23pm
post #5 of 13

Can't help with design but I think your heart is in another place. she is being picky for a free cake. A dummy cake is not cheap to do. I don't know what brite person came up with the idea but they need smacked on the back of the head.

I have had so many brides call and say they saw a dummy cake on T.V.
and thought they would try it. They have no clue and they get miffed when you tell them the price.

cas17 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cas17 Posted 21 Mar 2009 , 6:24pm
post #6 of 13

" i always hid a shamrock with the B in it as well as a mickey mouse on all the cakes i make."

interesting...i've never heard of such a thing. how would you accomplish this and why would you want to do this--just out of curiosity?

DisneyDreamer Posted 21 Mar 2009 , 6:39pm
post #7 of 13

i do it because its my signature and two they never see it. the mickey makes it on to every cake the shamrock not always if i can get it on there great if not no big deal. ive been doing cakes for 5 years and never once has anyone ever said anything to me about it. even in culinary school every plate had it hidden on there once in a while my chef would see it she loved it said it was unique.

as for my heart well it started out in the right place till this lady went krazy on me and my mom (who is doing her hair) i don't know whats worst a bride who doesn't know what she wants or one that has no clue and is going to nit pick you to death.

on this cake the mickey is hidden in the flowers and on the back the shamrock is whats holding the ribbon on. hey everyone needs some good luck

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 21 Mar 2009 , 6:51pm
post #8 of 13

Do you have a contract that states that she'll have to pay for it, cause if not, kiss that dummy goodbye after it leaves your house! I would have asked for a cash or money order for $325 security deposit fot the dummy first. I know that will gurantee it comes back the way it left. You shoud at least type something up real quick that she understands that if it's not returned the same way it was delivered, she has to pay $325 & have her sign it just to be safe & if need be you have a leg to stand on in court. Make sure it's the BRIDE OR GROOM, no one else. If they don't want to sign, then I wouldn't leave the dummy.

JulyMama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JulyMama Posted 27 Mar 2009 , 6:58am
post #9 of 13

Did you get the dummy back? And what did she think of the cake?
i think it looks awesome! great job, and what a cool way to add a siggy to your cakes!

zdebssweetsj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zdebssweetsj Posted 27 Mar 2009 , 2:06pm
post #10 of 13

Hope you were able to get your dummies back,seems like every time I try to do something like this as a favor it usually goes badly. If you don't value your time and skill, they won't. Good Luck, I like your signature also.

DisneyDreamer Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 1:59pm
post #11 of 13

nope never got the dummys back i hear from people who went to the wedding she loved the car. but i would never know never got a thanks you

sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 2:10pm
post #12 of 13

I am guessing that you haven't heard from her because she hasn't returned the dummies yet...?

pianocat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pianocat Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 2:14pm
post #13 of 13

Did you send her an invoice?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%