3 Tiered Cake Advice Needed... Please Asap

Decorating By nathanikka Updated 20 Mar 2009 , 6:05pm by nathanikka

nathanikka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nathanikka Posted 20 Mar 2009 , 5:01pm
post #1 of 5

I have been told that 2 different ways to cover a cake with fondant. I need to know the best way... I am making a 3 tiered cake and would like your opinion on covering each tier separately or the entire cake as one... What is the best way to do this? Please help!

4 replies
missy2008 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missy2008 Posted 20 Mar 2009 , 5:15pm
post #2 of 5

I'm sure everyone has their own technique, but I apply fondant to each tier seperately then stack the cakes. If you are stacking cakes and trying to make it look like one unit (for a mountain or building) then you need to apply fondant in one piece.
If the layers are differnet in size, applying fondant as one piece will be difficult and should expect tears and bumps.
Hope this helps.

JodieF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JodieF Posted 20 Mar 2009 , 5:15pm
post #3 of 5

You would do them seperately. I can't even IMAGINE how big you'd have to roll the fondant out to cover 3 tiers! Trying to keep it from tearing would be a nightmare!

Jodie

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 20 Mar 2009 , 5:40pm
post #4 of 5

I have never heard of covering multiple tiers in one piece (unless it's a mini or something - and I mean like 4" tall total). Do each one separately.

nathanikka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nathanikka Posted 20 Mar 2009 , 6:05pm
post #5 of 5

Thank you all! That is what I thought, too, but, figured I would ask since I had a few that told me it was easier to do it as one piece. Seemed a little crazy to me.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%