Fillings Needing Refrigeration But Cake's Covered In Fondant

Decorating By SarahsSweets2006 Updated 20 Mar 2009 , 6:18pm by cylstrial

SarahsSweets2006 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SarahsSweets2006 Posted 20 Mar 2009 , 2:55pm
post #1 of 3

When I was reading through some of the "Gormet cake flavors" some of the fillings would require refrigeration (such as ones with cream cheese in them) but what if the cake is covered in fondant which isn't supposed to be refrigerated? HMmm... anyone have any answers?? Thanks!

2 replies
tx_cupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tx_cupcake Posted 20 Mar 2009 , 3:12pm
post #2 of 3

I, and many others here, refrigerate our fondant covered cakes - especially if the filling is perishable.

I usually cover my cakes loosely with saran wrap, then pop 'em in the fridge for however long I need.

When you remove the cake, you must allow it to come to room temperature before touching/messing with it otherwise you can leave marks on the fondant.

Depending on the weather where you are you may get some condensation, but if you just let it evaporate on its own you shouldn't have any problems. I live in a pretty dry climate, so I don't really have any issues in this regard.

HTH!

Edited to add that I take the saran wrap off as soon as I take it out of the fridge. I'm not even sure why I use saran wrap in the first place. I guess it makes me feel better. icon_biggrin.gif

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 20 Mar 2009 , 6:18pm
post #3 of 3

Thanks txcupcake! I've heard that people use saran wrap on fondant, but I wasn't sure how to go about it. I appreciate the help!

And thanks Sarah'sSweets for starting the thread!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%