Best Way To Apply Fondant To A "dummy" Cake

Decorating By juliebaboolie Updated 21 Mar 2009 , 4:33pm by sugarshack

juliebaboolie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
juliebaboolie Posted 20 Mar 2009 , 1:13pm
post #1 of 6

I am making a wedding cake that all tiers are going to be made out of styrofoam and covered in fondant (except for one tier, which will be real cake)

Any suggestions on the best way to attach the fondant to the styrofoam? I am assuming it wont stick without some sort of adhesive. Perhaps piping gel?

Help!!

5 replies
cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 20 Mar 2009 , 2:12pm
post #2 of 6

Some people use piping gel. I just used water. Just a couple of tips: put some packing tape all over the styrofoam. It will make it easier to pull the fondant off and you won't damage your stryrofoam. It also make its easier to clean. Second, you might want to practice putting the fondant on the styrofoam. I found that it was a lot harder to put on than what I originally thought it was going to be. The styrofoam is a lot harder than the cakes, so it has a tendency to want to tear up at the top. Just a few thoughts.

chelleb1974 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chelleb1974 Posted 20 Mar 2009 , 6:05pm
post #3 of 6

I just spritz my dummy with some water and put the fondant on. I do take an exacto knife and nick off the top corner of the dummy so I don't tear my fondant.

~Chelle

xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 20 Mar 2009 , 7:15pm
post #4 of 6

I've read that you need to file down the edges some to help with the tearing, which can be down by pressing/pushing the edges down on your counter to make it not so sharp. Or you could buy contour top dummies to avoid the sharp edges. I think Taylor Foam is one of the places you can get them at.

And yes the water should work to attach your fondant to the dummy.

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 21 Mar 2009 , 1:18am
post #5 of 6

I didn't know to file the edges down. I just learned to work with what I have. But that's a great idea and I'll remember it in the future. Or maybe I'll just buy the contour edges and save myself the hassle.

sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshack Posted 21 Mar 2009 , 4:33pm
post #6 of 6

piping gel

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%