I Don't Know What To Do. Crying Isn't Helping.

Decorating By arsing1 Updated 21 Mar 2009 , 6:43am by Rylan

arsing1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
arsing1 Posted 20 Mar 2009 , 7:16am
post #1 of 31

Well, I got this bright idea to do a topsy turvey cake. I found the tutorial on here and followed it exactly.

My cake is terrible. icon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gif

The tiers didn't fit right so the top of the lower tiers bulged out when I put the tiers on. The fondant won't smooth and is tearing. It's just one big bulging mess! I don't know what to do. I unstacked them before they crumbled.

I've been working on this cake for 3 days and the figures for the cake for a week! I've never come to tears over a cake before but this one is killing me.
icon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gif
Is there any way of salvaging it or should I just bake a new, regular, flat cake?

30 replies
gerripje Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gerripje Posted 20 Mar 2009 , 7:37am
post #2 of 31

I've never done one of those, but I found today that making the spackle for under the fondant helps with making it more stable. That's buttercream and cake crumbs mixed together, then you've got a more substantial coating.
I can sympathize with you though, I am too chicken to try one, I have a heck of a time just with normal!!

arsing1 Posted 20 Mar 2009 , 7:38am
post #3 of 31

Anyone? PLEASE!

arsing1 Posted 20 Mar 2009 , 7:41am
post #4 of 31

Thanks for the fondant tip.

This cake has seriously destroyed my confidence. Why the heck did I think I was any good at this?!

lasidus1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lasidus1 Posted 20 Mar 2009 , 7:51am
post #5 of 31

oh gosh, i'm not a pro at topsy turvey cakes at all but let me see if i can help icon_smile.gif

first thing's first, if the lower tiers are bulging it may just be a support issue. are your dowels/supports the exact height of the cake w/ fondant? if not, pull them out and put some in of the exact height. the bulging sounds to me like it might just be the weight of the cake distributing without proper support.

as for the fondant icon_confused.gif did u make it or buy it? i know whenever i've made my mmf it sometimes is dry, only thing for it at that point is to add some shortening and knead knead knead. if your fondant feels like if u lift it it's just falling apart, there may be too much fat/shortening in it, in which case try kneading in some powdered sugar. if it's bought fondant i really don't know what to say, other than to suggest those methods.

what is underneath your fondant layer? did you put a coat of buttercream? spreading some piping gel lightly over it may help the fondant adhere better for you.

i'll be up a little while longer if i can help at all any more

edited: it's late now, i'm off to bed. please just step away, take a breath, maybe sleep on it. in the morning with a clear head you'll know what to do

JessDesserts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JessDesserts Posted 20 Mar 2009 , 7:52am
post #6 of 31

Hi Arsing,

I wish I had some great technical advice on how to fix the cake, but im more of a cupcake kinda gal.

As far as destroying your confidence, im sorry you're in a rut. But that all it is honey, just a bad place for the moment.

You can either trash the cake and start all over or try again with the same cake but a new attitude.

I bought a book with little clay animals and they never seem to come out the way they look in the book. It was so upsetting the first few times, until I realized they dont have to look exactly like the book. If I make a giraffe and people recognize its a giraffe, thats great.

Take a break. Have a good cry. Take a long walk. Eat something filled with sugar and very bad for you- without guilt. Then...... have a good night sleep and start all over in the morning.

Im sorry I couldnt be more helpful.

Good luck.

Jess

lasidus1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lasidus1 Posted 20 Mar 2009 , 7:53am
post #7 of 31

and don't cry, things happen. at least it's not surgery and it's yummy cake icon_smile.gif

don't feel crushed by it. worst case, you have lots of cake scraps to make cake balls out of to eat away tears, and still have your fondant figures to put on a beautiful new cake icon_biggrin.gif

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 20 Mar 2009 , 9:52am
post #8 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by arsing1

Well, I got this bright idea to do a topsy turvey cake. I found the tutorial on here and followed it exactly.

My cake is terrible. icon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gif

The tiers didn't fit right so the top of the lower tiers bulged out when I put the tiers on. The fondant won't smooth and is tearing. It's just one big bulging mess! I don't know what to do. I unstacked them before they crumbled.

I've been working on this cake for 3 days and the figures for the cake for a week! I've never come to tears over a cake before but this one is killing me.
icon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gif
Is there any way of salvaging it or should I just bake a new, regular, flat cake?

Just from what you've said...
the tiers have to fit exactly to each other and to the supports for a topsy turvy
so if you can redo that cake to then fit exactly, then try it again
depending on the deadline if there is one
and depending on if the cake is still resilient enough to withstand this.

Because you will have to remove your fondant and carve and crumb coat and then apply the fondant.

If not then yes re-bake -- or can you cut what you have there into a more easily managed shape?

Hopefully you got some sleep and this will all look more doable in the morning one way or another. Hopefully a nice pathway will appear. Praying some cake angels over your way.

(((big hug)))

chilz822 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chilz822 Posted 20 Mar 2009 , 3:49pm
post #9 of 31

I cried with my first TT cake also. I wasn't happy with my carving and I was also trying Satin Ice for the first time. Disaster!
I used 3-3 tiered sections (10, 8, 6). You can see it in my pics. Make sure you've got your supports in good (I used bubble tea straws) and make sure each tier is on a cardboard round prior to 'dropping' it into your carved 'hole'.
I had soooo many issues with tearing that I scrapped the Satin Ice and made 2 emergency batches of MMF and then I was able to get through it.
There's a video on youtube that one of our CC members did. I wish I had it before I attempted the cake, it helped quite a bit.
Here's the link!

Don't cry! icon_sad.gif

arsing1 Posted 20 Mar 2009 , 5:06pm
post #10 of 31
Quote:
Quote:

I was also trying Satin Ice for the first time

Me too. This was my first time with Satin Ice. It tore all over the place and was dry. I tried adding shortening to wake it up but it didn't help.

My cake sizes were the same as yours.

I ended up just taking the top two, slanted layers and stuck with a plain, flat round cake. I may have to bake one more layer for each because they look too short now.

I still hate it.

I'm scratching topsy's from my list until I can have somebody show me how to do it. Maybe I can find a class for it.

Thanks for all of your comments!

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 20 Mar 2009 , 5:44pm
post #11 of 31

For a 7" cake at the base I carve an 8" hole into the next cake down. You may need more depending on the angle of your sides. Make sure all cakes are well chilled before attempting to stack and of course the correct amount of support. If they are cold you can maneuver them around a bit to make them fit or remove the tier, cut the hole out a little larger, and try again.

For what you can do in this moment... chill the cakes and cut the holes larger. Try to resmooth the fondant and then alter the design a lit if need be to cover any bad parts.

sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 20 Mar 2009 , 6:10pm
post #12 of 31

Oh no!!! I am no help at all as I have never done one. I saw the tip about spackle stuff and that sounds sturdy. I love that you tube video that is how I plan on doing when my turn comes around. I also read cool things about MFF(not MMF) and can't wait to try that recipe. If all else fails you could do a small stacked round and then grind all that cake up and make cake balls or cake pops.
{{{Arsing}}} Don't cry love! Just have some more champaign! And take pictures even if it's a disaster because some day you will be able to laugh about it and maybe even post in disaters. I am really hoping to see a pic of the disaster and then a gorgeous pic of how you rescued it all beautifully! I am sending possitive thoughts in your direction right now!!! icon_smile.gif

SS385Monte Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SS385Monte Posted 20 Mar 2009 , 6:26pm
post #13 of 31

I feel your pain. My first topsy turvy cake toppled totally over! It was a DISASTER...haven't gotten up the nerve to try another one. Maybe someday soon.

sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshack Posted 21 Mar 2009 , 12:38am
post #14 of 31

Topsys can be quite the buggers to master. My first few sagged to infinity and beyond.

1) cake must be super firm
2) u need at least 3 inch differenccne bewteen tiers, preferably 4 to have stable sides
3) make the hole a bit bigger than needed until you master them so u can be sure the cakes will fit together, and use a big border. The better you get, the smaller you can make your hole
4) make sure you have enough dowels and they are very level and not cut too low

i am sorry you are going thru this. i have been there and they brought me to tears too. But you WILL get it if you practice.

nannie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nannie Posted 21 Mar 2009 , 12:43am
post #15 of 31

And of course Ms SugarShack knows all this because she's making a new Topsey Turvey DVD ???? Maybe, please, pretty please icon_razz.gif

Or maybe that's just in my dreams icon_redface.gif

imartsy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imartsy Posted 21 Mar 2009 , 12:59am
post #16 of 31

Honestly those topsy turvy cakes are evil. I didn't cry with my first one - b/c I was too exhausted and I knew crying wouldn't help. At 2 am the morning it was due - my middle layer had a huge chunk just FALL off of it! I "glued" it back on with buttercream and set it into the fridge to firm up a bit.... I put a center dowel through the entire thing (which somehow I ended up putting in crooked - nothing was going right!). It barely made it to the party - but it did and it was ok. I called it "the cake God held together" b/c I don't know what else was keeping it together.

Try to stick it in the fridge and see if that helps it firm up a bit. I hope you are able to salvage it - if not.... LOTS of cake balls! icon_smile.gif Really - those topsy turvy things are evil....

patticakesnc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patticakesnc Posted 21 Mar 2009 , 1:09am
post #17 of 31

I love these instructions. I haven't done one yet but after seeing this I think I could do it.

http://www.sugarcraft.com/catalog/wedding/whimsycakes.htm

nannie Posted 21 Mar 2009 , 1:13am
post #18 of 31

nice try patticakesnc, but you got blocked thumbsdown.gif

CakeMakar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMakar Posted 21 Mar 2009 , 1:22am
post #19 of 31

thanks for the link patticakes, that looks helpful.

Wouldn't order from them, but will use their directions. icon_biggrin.gif

nannie Posted 21 Mar 2009 , 1:25am
post #20 of 31

CakeMakar

did you get the link to work? I got blocked icon_mad.gif

sugarshack Posted 21 Mar 2009 , 1:34am
post #21 of 31

Dreams can come true icon_lol.gif

keep wishing on that star.....

maybe some day....... you never know icon_biggrin.gif

patticakesnc Posted 21 Mar 2009 , 2:06am
post #22 of 31

where it is taken out you need to type sugar then type shack

patticakesnc Posted 21 Mar 2009 , 2:07am
post #23 of 31

crap I mean type sugar then type craft

chilz822 Posted 21 Mar 2009 , 2:36am
post #24 of 31

Ohhhhh Sharon...
Any idea what kind of schedule or timelines those 'wish fairies' are working on?
icon_biggrin.gif

butterfly831915 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
butterfly831915 Posted 21 Mar 2009 , 2:45am
post #25 of 31

I was just thinking of trying this now i am too scared. I deff don't want to lose any of my confidence, not that there is much as my cakes are not that good and seem to only bring about ten bucks. I don't know but shounds really scary

nannie Posted 21 Mar 2009 , 2:46am
post #26 of 31

Oh icon_confused.gif

thanks, that worked........

nannie Posted 21 Mar 2009 , 2:48am
post #27 of 31

Well, I'm just going to wait and see if my wishes do come true icon_lol.gif

Then I'll make my first

sugarshack Posted 21 Mar 2009 , 3:10am
post #28 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by butterfly831915

I was just thinking of trying this now i am too scared. I deff don't want to lose any of my confidence, not that there is much as my cakes are not that good and seem to only bring about ten bucks. I don't know but shounds really scary

I won't lie. they ARE scary at first and i think we all have to expect a few failures before we master them. I went thru a lot of trial and error before I got it AND got tons of great advice from other decorators. the way I do it now is no longer scary and VERY VERY stable. I know longer want to vomit when i make one. keep with it, you WILL get it!

thumbs_up.gif

sugarshack Posted 21 Mar 2009 , 3:11am
post #29 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by chilz822

Ohhhhh Sharon...
Any idea what kind of schedule or timelines those 'wish fairies' are working on?
icon_biggrin.gif

whistle whistle whistle

icon_biggrin.gif

chilz822 Posted 21 Mar 2009 , 6:18am
post #30 of 31

LOL
All I can see are the 7 dwarves whistling while they work...
hmmmm...
icon_biggrin.gif
(betcha one of them has a little cajun accent!)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%